A FIRST - This weekly supplement to our monthly newsletter, The Shepherd's Voice, is coming to your email inbox for the first time today. It highlights and updates news and upcoming events. It will be sent mid-week to all members with an email address and posted to our website under the News/Events tab. Paper versions will not be mailed.
Worship and Opportunities on February 12, the Sixth Sunday after Epiphany
- In worship this week we’ll reflect on the call to choose life by loving God and following God’s ways. These ways, God’s commandments, guide us to seek the well-being of all people and the health of the whole community.
- 2017 Congregation Council, Committees and Altar Guild will be installed.
- The Good Shepherd Band will play an arrangement of Martin Luther's Easter hymn "Jesus Christus, unser Heiland der den Tod überwand" ("Jesus Christ, our Savior, who conquered death") during the offertory and provide the Gathering Music and Postlude.
- Adult Forum - John Moeller, member and Professor of Political Science, will lead a discussion on our new political climate and issues relating to faith and community
February 12 Worship Leaders & Ministry Team -
- ORGANIST/PIANIST: Brooke Joyce
- ACOLYTE: Martha Steele
- CANTOR: Reg Laursen
- ASSISTING MINISTER: Bob Felde
- COMMUNION SERVER: Martha Steele
- ALTAR GUILD: Judy Schoel, Bev Sheridan, Glendalu Wuest
- USHERS: Jerry Aulwes and David Judisch
- GREETER: Sharon Rendack
- FELLOWSHIP SERVERS: Marion Pruitt-Jefferson, JoAnn and Jerry Aulwes, Kate Narveson
Valentine Project - Our Sunday School students made 22 Valentines for homebound members and our residents in care facilities. Several congregation members volunteered to personally delivery them before Valentine's Day.
Congregational Vitality Survey and Annual Meeting Reports - Extra copies of the Survey and Annual Reports distributed at the Annual Meeting are available on the shelves outside the office. Completed surveys can be deposited there as well.
“White Privilege: Let’s Talk” Small Group Conversations continue this week. Pastor Amy, Jon Ailabouni and Sara Hanssen are leading the Tuesday evening sessions hosted by Good Shepherd. Registration for all of the groups is closed. Refer to Decorah Congregational UCC's website (decorahucc.org) for additional information, the possibility of future sessions, and a link to downloadable study resources.
Lutherans on the Hill 2017-Tuesday, February 21 - Join Lutheran Social Services of Iowa and Iowa’s three ELCA Synods in Des Moines for this opportunity to share our voices on critical human services issues with our legislators. We are powerful lobbyists for our community and can help them understand how public policy affects people in our area.
Sermon Texts and Audio Recordings are available on our website at the beginning of the following week. Click here to view both options.
Registration is open through Sunday, February 19. Consult this link for additional information and to register: lsiowa.org/support/advocate/lutheran-day-on-the-hill/
The Northeast Iowa Synod has chartered a free bus from Waverly to the state capitol and back. Lyle Otte, Social Justice Subcommittee, is arranging carpooling from Decorah to Waverly and back for Good Shepherd members. Register for the event and contact Lyle at 419-4914 or email@example.com to reserve a carpool spot no later than February 19! Your voice is needed!
New Member Sunday, February 26 - New members will be welcomed during worship and the Fellowship Hour! If you know frequent guests, please invite them to consider membership at Good Shepherd.
Church Calendar - For additional information about events, meeting dates and times, click here to view the most current version of the Calendar.