If you're looking for a holiday dessert way beyond the usual
"pumpkin pie," try this Pumpkin 'n Spice Tart created by Cynthia.
Cynthia's Pumpkin ‘n Spice Tart
Makes one 11-inch tart. Serves 16.
Soak 1/3 cup raw cashews overnight.
For the crust:
1 cup. pecans
2 cups rolled oats
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup safflower oil
1/3 cup maple syrup or rice syrup
¼ cup water
1. Preheat oven to.275°.
2. Pulse the oats and pecans in a food processor or
blender until coarsely ground.
3. Move the above mixture to a mixing bowl.
4. In a smaller separate bowl, combine the salt, oil and
5. Fold the above mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Add the water, mixing and lifting with a fork. Do not over
7. Press into a lightly oiled 11-inch tart pan and bake for
20 minutes or until the edges turn lightly golden.
For the custard filling:
2 cups soy milk, grain milk, or amasake (choose one of
these or it can be a mixture of these)
One 15-ounce can of organic pumpkin (about 2 cups
2 level tsp. agar powder
2-4 TBSP. maple syrup (depends upon the sweetness of
the liquids chosen above)
1 ½ TBSP. arrowroot
1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed and
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 level tsp. cinnamon powder
½ tsp. ginger powder
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1. Use ½ cup of the soy milk/grain milk liquid to dissolve
the agar, arrowroot and salt. Mix.
2. Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor
and puree until the cashews are smooth and creamy.
Transfer the puree to a saucepan.
3. Heat over a medium flame, stirring continuously with a
whisk. Once the ingredients start to thicken and
simmer, turn the heat down so the ingredients do not
boil over. Continue stirring and simmering another 5
minutes until the arrowroot has cooked. The custard
will be an even color and consistency when all the
starch is cooked.
4. Pour into the baked crust. Cool in the fridge.
Optional toppings for garnish.
1. Thicken ½ cup of amasake, grain milk or soy milk by cooking with a
little arrowroot and then sweeten to taste.
2. Spoon over the top and garnish with a few roasted,