Thank you for your kind comments about customers bad behaviour as mentioned in last week’s newsletter. I have to say that this week has been much better with the A board almost blocking the door. However, there are still some people who ignore it and just walk into the shop without checking. We have another 10 days of 2m distancing, so we will continue to only let one customer/household group into the shop at a time. Please bring sun hats as it’s very hot at the moment.
- Please read the information messages
- Please use the hand sanitizer
- Check to see if there is anyone already in the shop, and wait outside if there is.
- Do not get offended, storm off, or be rude when asked to wait outside. We are no different to every other shop on the planet at the moment, think before you enter.
On a nicer note, it was wonderful to be at Potton market last Saturday. So many people truly happy to be out and shopping almost ‘normally’. Great self-distancing was observed. We hope to see the remaining stall holders who couldn’t make this market at the September one. I was glad that I’d ordered another card reader, it makes life a lot easier for everyone. We prefer to have card payments in the shop, but can accept cash if absolutely necessary.
New veg is now flooding in – we have an aubergine glut this week. The recipe below may be a good idea to use some up. Spinach is also featuring in next week’s veg boxes.
Veg boxes being delivered in w/c 29th June will contain:
Bunch of carrots
Flat or French Beans (depending on availability)
Additional items that you can have in your boxes (as well as eggs) are:
Veg: new potatoes, loose and bunched carrots, bunched beetroot, cabbages, broad beans, red and white onions, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, aubergines, chillies (Fresno and Jalapeno), French and flat beans and courgettes.
Salads: little gem lettuce, cucumber (large and small), tomatoes (salad and cherry), celery, salad onions, rocket, peppers.
Fruit: Eating apples, Bramley apples, Rhubarb, (a very few) Gooseberries and English Strawberries. We’ve also had a few cherries in this week, but the main crop won’t be around for another few weeks yet.
Please let me know any additional items, or other changes to your box by the end of Saturday 27th June.
Thanks for all the veg boxes and egg boxes that have been returned, it’s a great help.
Recipe of the week
This spin on Italian 'melanzane alla Parmigiana' is quick to prepare and makes a deliciously creamy, veggie bake.
Aubergine rolls with spinach & ricotta
2 aubergines, cut into thin slices lengthways
2 tbsp olive oil
250g tub ricotta
grating of nutmeg
350g jar tomato sauce
4 tbsp fresh breadcrumb
4 tbsp parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with oil, then lay on a large baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 mins until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a large colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water to wilt. Cool, then squeeze out the excess water, so that it is dry. Mix with the ricotta, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning.
- Dollop a spoonful of the cheesy spinach mix in the centre of each aubergine slice, fold over to make a parcel and lay, sealed-side down, in an ovenproof dish. Pour over tomato sauce, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese, and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and piping hot.
Whatever your plans this weekend (shopping, cooking, gardening or just relaxing), I hope you have an enjoyable one.
Black Cat Farm Shop
c/o Roxton Garden Centre, Bedford Road, Roxton.
Beds. MK44 3DY
Open Wednesday 10:30-3, Thursday 10:30-3, Friday 10:30-3, Saturday 10:30-3, Sunday Closed
Data Protection Statement: You have kindly supplied your name and email address, for the express purpose of receiving news about the Black Cat Farm Shop. We will never sell or pass on these details to anyone else without your prior permission. You can Unsubscribe using the link below to stop receiving these emails. Your details are automatically deleted from the system.