California Community Schools Advocacy Network
We're building a statewide network of advocates with a shared vision: To create a supportive policy environment for community schools in California.
Welcome to the CCSAN e-Newswire. You’re receiving this update because you are a valued member of the movement to build and sustain community schools in California.
Chronic Absence Update
State-Level Policy and Advocacy Opportunity
Chronic absence – defined as a student missing more than 10% of the school year – has been identified as a critical predictor of school success and high school completion, even in the earliest grades. Tracking chronic absence can provide critical data for community school partners to identify student needs and create responsive program and service arrays.
Senate Bill 1357
SB 1357 requires the California Department of Education to include data on student absences in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS), contingent upon the receipt of federal funding for this purpose.
On June 1, 2010, SB 1357 passed the Senate with a unanimous vote (35-0). The bill will be heard by the Assembly Education Committee on June 16.
Send a letter of support for SB 1357 from your organization to the Assembly Education Committee.
Federal Policy News
School health centers were included in the federal health care reform bill – signed into law March 23, 2010. The bill includes two important provisions for school-based health centers:
Learn more about the health care reform bill | Learn more >>
- Language authorizing a federal SBHC grant program
- An emergency appropriation that would provide $200 million for SBHCs over four years for construction and capital improvements.
Please add your organization’s name to the list of supporters for a $50 million federal appropriation for SBHCs, by June 30, 2010. To add your organization's name to this letter, please send an email to Dara Tom (email@example.com) with the following information:
For more information about federal policy related to school health centers, visit the California School Health Centers Association.
- Your name, title, telephone and email (for follow-up only, will not appear on the letter)
- Your organization’s name and address
More Advocacy Information
For more information about advocacy for community schools on a national level, visit the Coalition for Community Schools.
Questions, Ideas, Feedback or Strategies?
Deanna Niebuhr, Director of Community Schools Initiative
Partnership for Children and Youth
firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 830-4200 x1605
Additional Action Items
- Help us build the California Community Schools Advocacy Network. Forward this email alert to educators, school officials, school districts, community-based organizations, county administrators and elected officials.
- Contribute. Send ideas, feedback and strategies to Deanna Niebuhr at Partnership for Children and Youth.