Arcata Community Health and Wellness Garden
Community work days are held at the Arcata Community Health and Wellness Garden on F and 11th Streets every Wednesday from 11am to 1pm. Last week volunteers removed an old foundation for a shed and planted carrot, radish, and beet seeds in freshly tilled soil. The garden is tended and harvested communally, and weekly harvests go to patients of Open Door Health Clinic which oversees the garden. For more information about the garden please contact email@example.com or 707-269-7073.
Jobs for Gardeners at Redwood Acres
Redwood Acres Fairgrounds in Eureka has numerous gardening projects underway. They are looking for gardeners to hire to teach classes around gardening and food preparation/preservation. Classes will be available to community members this spring. If you are interested in teaching or participating in a class, please contact Naturejoe@gmail.com.
Garden of Eatin'
If you are looking for space to garden in Eureka, Garden of Eatin’ may have space available. Garden plots are twelve by four feet and rented annually for around $25. On Saturday March 8 from 10am to 11:30am Garden of Eatin’ will have it’s annual meeting at which time gardeners may renew their plot rental for the year. If you are interested in getting a plot, please come to the meeting or contact Suzanne at (707) 839-1560.
Unity Community Garden
There is room for more gardeners this spring at Unity Community Garden on 15th and California Streets in Eureka. For more information please contact Linda at (707) 441-4168.
"Sustainable Living" Fair
Volunteers are needed to help with the next "Sustainable Living" Fair. Several community groups including the Garden Collaborative are planning an event for this spring similar to the "Sustainable Living' Fair last November at Jefferson Community Center. The next planning meeting is Tuesday January 21 from 5 - 6:30pm at Jefferson Community Center (1000 B St in Eureka) and anyone is welcome to attend. We'll be finalizing scope of topics, date, and event title. Volunteers will be needed to help with planning, outreach, and at the event. If you want to help or have ideas to share please contact Debbie at DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org or (707) 269-2071.
Gardener "Meet and Greet"
North Coast Community Garden Collaborative is hosting a Gardener "Meet and Greet" on Wednesday February 5 from 5:30 - 6:30 pm at Redwood Community Action Agency, 904 G Street in Eureka. Come network with local gardeners, talk with local experts, enjoy yummy food, and get free gardening resources. Come early for our monthly meeting from 4:30 - 5:30 pm. Hope to see you there!
Job Opening - Office Supervisor
The Natural Resources Services division of Redwood Community Action Agency, which is the fiscal sponsor for North Coast Community Garden Collaborative, is hiring an office supervisor. The office supervisor will help with administrative and fiscal tasks related to the division, and will work with a diverse set of projects around watershed restoration, safe transportation, community gardens, trail building, tree planting and more. Strong organizational and communication skills are desired, among other characteristics. For more information and to download the application, please visit www.rcaa.org/job-opportunities. Applications are due January 24, 2014.
CalFresh is a nutrition assistance program that helps people access more healthy foods. CalFresh can be used to purchase seeds and starts for growing food. Many people do not know they are eligible for CalFresh. To find out if you might be, call (707) 269-2071, (877) 410-8809, or visit www.c4yourself.org.
Thank You, Generous Donors!
North Coast Community Garden Collaborative would like to thank two on-going and extremely generous supporters – Dr. Ann Lindsay and Elk River Nursery. Dr. Ann Lindsay, former Health Office of Humboldt County, has moved out of the area but continues to make regular donations to the Garden Collaborative, including $1000 last month. The Elk River Nursery is a wholesale nursery that has donated thousands of plant starts to community gardeners over the last three years.
Elk River Nursery, logo pictured above, has donated thousands of plant starts to community gardeners from their wholesale nursery over the past three years.
- Planning for Next "Sustainable Living" Fair: Tuesday January 21 from 5 -6:30pm at Jefferson Community Center, 1000 B Street in Eureka. For more information please contact DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org or (707) 269-2071.
- "Food, Family, and Fun" - A 6 Week Class Series: Thursdays from 6:30 - 8:30pm at the Eureka Co-op on 4th and B Streets, starting Thursday January 16. Call first to register at (707) 443-6027 ext. 102.
- NRS Office Supervisor Applications Due: Friday January 24. Visit www.rcaa.org/job-opportunities for more information.
- Eat for Peace Class
Thursday January 30 from 6 - 7pm at Arcata Co-op Kitchen on 8th and I Streets. $10 or free for Co-op members. Learn foods to help reduce stress. Register at www.northcoastco-op.com or call (707) 443-6027 ext. 102.
- Permaculture Guild Meeting: Tuesday February 4 from 5:30 - 7pm at CCAT on HSU campus (walk straight up hill from 14th and A Streets). Help plan the Seed and Plant Exchange (March 29 at the Arcata Community Center) and learn about activities of the Guild. Contact DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org or (707) 269-2071 for more information.
- Gardener "Meet and Greet Event: Wednesday February 5 from 5:30 - 6:30 pm at Redwood Community Action Agency, 904 G Street in Eureka. A chance for gardeners to network, talk with local experts, and get gardening resources. Light refreshments provided. Come at 4:30 pm for the monthly meeting of the North Coast Community Garden Collaborative - anyone is welcome and we especially seek input from community gardeners. Please email DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org or call (707) 269-2071 for more information.
- Cook and Save Class: Monday February 10 from 6 - 7:30pm at the Arcata Co-op Kitchen on 8th and I Streets. Free class; registration required at www.northcoastco-op.com or (707) 443-6027 ext. 102.
- Food Policy Council Meeting: Thursday February 13 from 5:30 - 8:30pm at location TBA. Anyone is welcome to attend these meetings of passionate individuals working to create a more healthy, accessible, and sustainable food system. We're finalizing a charter that will guide the group as we move forward. For more information please contact DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org or (707) 269-2071. Winter Farmers' Market
The Arcata Famers' Market is open all winter on the G St side of the plaza on Saturdays from 10am to 2pm. Bring your CalFresh Electronic Benefit Transfer Card, and earn $5 free bonus dollars to spend at the Market. Many local farmers sell seeds and starts of varieties known to do well on the coast. Visit www.humfarm.org for more information.
Gardening Gazette is a free publication of North Coast Community Garden Collaborative, a support network of and for community gardeners working together to increase access to fresh, healthy, and culturally appropriate foods for all North Coast residents. There are many ways to get involved and support community gardens - to learn how please visit www.northcoastgardens.org, email DebbieP@nrsrcaa.org, or call (707) 269-2071.
You received this newsletter because you expressed interest in learning about the North Coast Community Garden Collaborative.