- Apple Harvest Festival: Saturday, October 1 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. A city-wide celebration of the fall apple harvest. Free hayrides around town, orchard barbecue, live music, apple pie contest, merchant and vendor street sales, children's games and more. For more information visit www.fortunachamber.com
- Cooper Gulch Play and Plan: Saturday, October 1 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Cooper Gulch Park, 1720 10th street in Eureka. A diversity of activities centered on creating a sense of possibility in the Park. Results of community survey will be shared and the next steps in figuring out what would make Cooper Gulch Park more meaningful and welcoming to the community as a whole. This could include gardens and edible landscaping. For more information visit coopergulch.org.
- Save the Planet with Pulses: Saturday, October 1 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Arcata Plaza Farmer's Market. Learn how local beans and other pulses can provide high protein meals without much CO2 emission. Play our bean bag game and taste samples of food made with pulses. What is a pulse? Come find out! For more information visit locally-delicious.org or call (707) 633-5467.
- Kids' Salsa Competition: Saturday, October 1 from 10:15 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. at Strong's Creek Plaza, 1095 South Fortuna Blvd. in Fortuna. Students throughout Humboldt County are teaming up with some of the finest local chefs to create unique, mouth-watering salsas using local ingredients. Eight teams will convene on Strong's Plaza for the first ever Fortuna event during the Apple Harvest Festival. The public is invited to taste the salsas from 11:30 to 12:30. For more information visit localfoodmonth.org.
- Taste of Willow Creek Fall Festival: Saturday, October 1 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Bigfoot Golf and Country Club in Willow Creek. Local vineyards, musicians, artists, farmers, non-profit groups, store owners and more. This is a family event. BBQ dinner hosted by the golf course begins at 5:30 p.m. Tickets and more information available online at tasteofwillowcreekfall
- Bayside Gardens Pumpkin Patch: Saturdays and Sunday starting October 1 from Noon to 6 p.m. at Bayside Gardens, 2074 Old Arcata Road. Nice mix of sizes and varieties. Feed the cows, ride the tractor, swap squash recipes. Free Admission. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (707) 496-0618.
- Canning Workshop: Sunday, October 2 from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Ag Center on Humboldt Hill. Come join in the fun of learning how to can! This workshop is geared toward beginners, but all levels of expertise are welcome. For more information contact email@example.com.
- Herb Walk: Saturday, October 2 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. at Dandelion Herbal Center in Kneeland. Learn to identify wild and cultivated local medicinal plants and how to harvest, dry and store them for future use. Cost is $25. For more information visit dandelionherb.com.
- Bee Friendly Garden Book Signing and Talk: Saturday, October 8 from Noon to 4:30 p.m. At Digging Dog Nursery, 31101 Middle Ridge Road in Albion (Mendocino). Join Kate Frey for a book signing and talk about designing a garden that nurtures bees and supports biodiversity. Kate is a world class garden designer and the author of the recently published The Bee Friendly Garden. At 2 p.m. join Deborah Whigham for a guided tour and discover plants that add late season pizzaz, spark winter intrigue, and provide welcome fodder for the birds, plus glean great design ideas and helpful maintenance tips! For more information contact Digging Dog Nursery at (707) 937-1130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Binational Health Fair: Sunday, October 9 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Del Norte Community Health Center, 550 E. Washington Blvd. in Crescent City. Flu Shots, Well-Women Exams, Free coffee cards for women who their Pap Smears, Health insurance evaluations and information, free grocery gift card with evaluation, great food, music and entertainment, prize raffles, kids games and more! This is a smoke and soda free event. For more information call (707) 465-6925.
- Kids' Salsa Competition: Saturday, October 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. at the Arcata Plaza Farmers Market. Students throughout Humboldt County are teaming up with some of the finest local chefs to create unique, mouth-watering salsas using local ingredients. The public is invited to taste the salsas from noon to 1 p.m. For more information visit localfoodmonth.org.
- 15th Annual UIHS Harvest Party: Friday, October 21 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Potawot Community Food Garden of United Indian Health Services (UIHS). Enjoy games, costumes, pumpkins, prizes and much more! Volunteers are still needed. For more information contact Liz Lewis at 707-825-4064 or Jude Marshall at (707) 825-4098.
- Healthy Lifestyles Fair: Sunday October 23 from 12 - 4 p.m. at the Fortuna River Lodge. The event is sponsored by Open Door Community Health Centers. For more information please contact (707) 826-8633 or check back at www.northcoastgardens.org.