Typhoon Hits Chuuk, Heads Toward Philippines
, which began as a tropical storm when it hit Chuuk, killing at least five people, has passed Yap and is headed toward the Philippines. The extent of damage and loss in Chuuk is still being assessed. More information about the situation and opportunities to provide assistance will be provided as it becomes available.
Conference Office Closes for Holy Week
The Conference Office will be closed tomorrow, Holy Thursday, April 2, and Good Friday, April 3. The office will reopen on Monday, April 6.
Holy Week and Easter Services
Services and events listed previously in the Coconut Wireless
, along with resources for Holy Week and Easter, can be found on the Hawai'i Conference website
- Waialua Congregational Church (Kamehameha V Highway, Waialua, Moloka'i), Maundy Thursday Service with washing of the feet, 10:30 a.m.
- Kaumakapili Church (766 North King Street, Honolulu), “In Calvary’s Shadow: A Tenebrae Service,” 7 p.m.
- 114th Easter Sunrise Service at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl, 6:15 a.m., with David Rivers, Senior Minister of Central Union Church, preaching.
- Waialua Congregational Church (Kamehameha V Highway, Waialua, Moloka'i), Easter Sunrise Service, 5:30 a.m.
Resource Assists Churches in Employer Role
“Your Church: Employer and Small Business,”
a resource from the UCC Insurance Board, assists churches in understanding their obligations as employer and business. It includes employment and governance information and links to resources on taxes and labor law.
Nominate a Woman Clergy for Synod Award
The Antoinette Brown Award
, named after the first woman ordained into Christian ministry, honors women in ordained ministry who are leaders in church and society. Honorees will be recognized at General Synod 30. Deadline for submitting a nomination form
is April 15.
Nonprofits Can Finance Photovoltaic Installations
Churches installing photovoltaic systems may be eligible to participate in the State of Hawai'i’s new GEMS Photovoltaic financing program for nonprofits. An informational breakfast
, sponsored by the Hawai'i Alliance of Nonprofits (HANO), will be held on Tuesday, April 7, 8-9:30 a.m., at the downtown YWCA. Click HERE
to register to attend.
Cookbook Commemorates Church Anniversary
As part of its 100th anniversary observances, United Church of Christ—Judd Street has published a cookbook and is selling them for $10 each. To purchase, call the church office at 808-536-8418.
Manoa Valley Fundraiser Supports Preschool
“Oh! What a Night,” a fundraiser and dance, benefits the preschool and afterschool programs of Manoa Valley Church (2728 Huapala Street, Honolulu). The event will be held on Saturday, April 18, 5-8 p.m., at the church's Hiro Higuchi Christians Life Center. For more information, call the church office at 808-988-3271, ext. 203.
Churches Plan Earth Day Events
- Nu'uanu Congregational Church (2651 Pali Highway, Honolulu) will observe Earth Day on Saturday, April 18, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., by offering document shredding, eWaste Recycling, vermicomposting, and more.
- Windward Coalition of Churches on O'ahu will hold a Day of Service at Ulupo Heiau (alongside Windward YMCA in Kailua) on Saturday, April 18, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Participants are invited to work and get muddy! Wear closed-toe shoes, sunscreen, hat, and work gloves, and bring water and a snack.
- For resources to plan an Earth Day activity or Sunday worship service, check out online resources from Creation Justice Ministries.
Leaders Conference Re-Imagines Church
Theologian Diana Butler Bass and documentary film maker Macky Alston are among the speakers who will help to re-imagine the church at the 2015 National Church Leaders Institute
on August 10-13 in Boston, Massachusetts. Sponsored by the Center for Progressive Renewal, this event will examine trends in society, including do-it-yourself, the cloud, crowdsource funding, the sharing economy and the local food movement.
Lili'uokalani Protestant Church and Pastor David Kieffer mutually agreed to complete the one-year term of his call to the church without renewal. His last Sunday was March 31.
Pastor of Ka Hana O Ke Akua to Be Installed
The Association of Hawaiian Evangelical Churches will install
Wendi Gordon as Pastor of Ka Hana O Ke Akua Church (86-311 Lualualei Homestead Road, Waianae) on Saturday, May 2, at 3 p.m.
Church Seeks Christian Education Director
Community Church of Honolulu is seeking a full-time Christian Education Director
. For more information, email RonWilliams@CCHonolulu.org