Letter Urges Compassion for Refugees Fleeing Persecution
In light of a possible Presidential executive order limiting or pausing refugee resettlement in the United States from particular countries in the Middle East, Church World Service and the United Church of Christ are inviting church leaders to sign a letter
urging reconsideration. Sign the letter HERE
General Synod Will Elect Nominating Committee
Help determine the future board leadership of the United Church of Christ by being a member of the Nominating Committee. Nominees are being sought for the Class of 2023 (six-year term) to be elected at this summer’s General Synod. Nominations must be made through an online form
. Deadline for nominations is February 17.
Conference Nominating Committee Seeks Candidates
Nominating forms and position descriptions for various volunteer positions in the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ will be mailed to churches this week. Nominees will be elected at the 'Aha Pae'aina in June and terms begin on July 1. Deadline for submitting nominations is March 3. Forms may be downloaded by clicking HERE
Associations Gather for Spring Meetings
Mark your calendars for these upcoming gatherings:
- AHEC 'Aha Halawai, February 17-18, Kahikuonalani Church
- Kaua'i Association 'Aha Mokupuni, April 28-29, Hanapepe United Church of Christ
- O'ahu Association 'Aha Mokupuni, May 6, UCC—Judd Street
- Tri-Isle Association 'Aha Mokupuni, May 13, location TBA
- Hawai'i Island Association 'Aha Mokupuni, May 20, Church of the Holy Cross
Find Resources for Lent and Easter
Lent and Easter resources, as well as a listing of Lenten and Holy Week events, can be found on the Hawai'i Conference website
. Click HERE
to send an email with your church’s event to be listed in the Coconut Wireless
and posted on the website.
UCC Polity Course Offered Online
The Southeast Conference UCC will offer “History, Polity, and Theology of the United Church of Christ” as a twelve-week online course from March 1 to May 30. View course description and register by February 20 by clicking HERE
Clergy Invited to Conversation on Organ Donation
Organ donation is the topic of a clergy conversation
sponsored by Pacific Health Ministries on Tuesday, February 14, 8:30-9:30 a.m., at Kuakini Medical Center. Reserve your seat by February 7 by emailing phm@firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 808-591-6556.
Journalist Speaks at PSR on Migration and Borders
Jose Antonio Vargas, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, filmmaker and immigration activist, will speak about “Borders and Identity” at the 2017 Earl Lectures
of Pacific School of Religion (Berkeley, California) on March 17-18.
- David Hirano will conclude his interim ministry at Kaumakapili Church on January 31.
- Rennie Mau resigned as pastor of at Koolau Hui'ia Protestant Church. His last day is January 31.
- Charles Poole will return as Interim Pastor of the four Topside Moloka'i churches—Ho'olehua, Kalaiakamanu Hou, Kalua'aha and Waialua—on February 1. He previously served the churches in 2006 and 2012.