Coconut Wireless Takes Break Next Week
The Coconut Wireless
will take a break next week, November 18, and return to your inbox on Wednesday, November 25.
O'ahu Association Recognizes Licensed Minister
The O'ahu Association held a recognition service
for Robert Komet as licensed minister of Shechem Church on Sunday, November 8.
Find Advent Resources Online
Advent, which includes the four Sundays before Christmas, begins November 29. Links to resources for the season are available on the Hawai'i Conference website
. If your church would like to post Advent or Christmas events, worship resources, devotions or study materials, send submissions to email@example.com
U.S. Ranks Second in Giving
Myanmar (formerly Burma) and the U.S. rank first and second, respectively, in a comparative measure of giving around the world. The Charities Aid Foundation measured three areas of generosity—giving money, giving time and helping a stranger—and found that culture and religion lie at the root of giving practices. Read the full report
from the Charities Aid Foundation.
Scholar Discusses Israeli-Palestinian Conflict and Bible
Walter Brueggemann, noted Old Testament scholar and UCC minister, will discuss his new book, Chosen? Reading the Bible Amid the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
, in a webinar
on Wednesday, December 9, 8 a.m. (Hawai'i time). Space for the webinar, hosted by Global Ministries of the UCC and Disciples, is limited, so reserve your spot early.
Crossroads Invites Peacemaker Nominations
Church of the Crossroads invites nominations of persons or organizations for its 2016 Peacemaker Award
. The award, presented each year during the church’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., service and celebration, recognizes a life-time commitment to peace and justice issues in the community. Submit nominations by December 8, 2015, to MLK, Jr. Peacemaker Award Committee, Attn: Jim Howell, 1212 University Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96826, or CCRHI@hawaiiantel.net
Attend a Community Thanksgiving Service
Interfaith and ecumenical Thanksgiving services are held every year in November at different locations throughout the islands. Following are some of this year’s services:
- Interfaith Communities in Action Interfaith Thanksgiving Celebration, Tuesday, November 24, 7 p.m., at Church of the Holy Apostles (1407 Kapiolani Street, Hilo).
- Nu'uanu Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, “The Joy of Service to All,” Tuesday, November 24, 7 p.m., at Community Church of Honolulu (2345 Nu'uanu Avenue, Honolulu).
- Windward Coalition of Churches Thanksgiving Eve Service, Wednesday, November 25, 7 p.m., at Windward United Church of Christ (38 Kaneohe Bay Drive, Kailua).
Koloa Hosts Art and Book Benefit
Koloa Union Church will hold an Art and Book Reception
on Sunday, November 22, 3–6 p.m., at the Smith Memorial Parsonage (3281 Waikomo Road, Koloa, Kaua'i) to benefit the church’s capital campaign building fund.
Associations Gather for Spring Meetings
Mark your calendars for these Spring gatherings of the five Associations:
- Tri-Isle Association: 'Aha Makua, January 30, location TBA; 'Aha Mokupuni, May 14, location TBA.
- AHEC: 'Aha Halawai, February 19-20, Ko'olau Hui'ia (Anahola, Kaua'i)
- Hawai'i Island Association: 'Aha Mokupuni, April 16, Church of the Holy Cross (Hilo)
- Kaua'i Association: 'Aha Mokupuni, April 29-30, Kapa'a First Hawaiian Church
- O'ahu Association: 'Aha Mokupuni, May 14, location TBA