Conference Office Closed
The Conference Office will be closed on Holy Thursday, April 17, and Good Friday, April 18. The office will reopen on Monday, April 21.
Read New Issues of Parish Paper
New issues of the Parish Paper
have been posted on the website. Feel free to copy and share these with your congregation as part of the Hawai'i Conference subscription.
May 2014: "How to Welcome Children with Autism and Their Families"
June 2014: "Caring for the Caregivers"
HOLY WEEK SERVICES AND EVENTS
Maundy Thursday Services, April 17
- Nu'uanu Congregational Church (2651 Pali Highway, Honolulu) will host a light meal of Portuguese bean soup at 5:15 p.m. followed by service at 6 p.m.
- Windward United Church of Christ (38 Kaneohe Bay Drive, Kailua, O'ahu) will hold Communion and Tenebrae Worship at 7:15 p.m.
- Kailua Christian Church (317 Manono Street, Kailua, O'ahu) will serve a light soup supper at 6:15 p.m. followed by a Foot Washing and Tenebrae Service at 7 p.m.
Good Friday Services, April 18
- First Chinese Church of Christ (1054 S. King Street, Honolulu) and United Church of Christ-Judd Street are sponsoring a contemplative walk with a cross through the streets of Honolulu, followed by a service of hymns and readings. The walk begins at 10 a.m. at First Chinese Church, followed by the service at 12 p.m.
- Nu'uanu Congregational Church (2651 Pali Highway, Honolulu) will hold Tenebrae Services at 12 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Windward United Church of Christ (38 Kaneohe Bay Drive, Kailua, O'ahu) will open its sanctuary from 12 to 3 p.m. for personal meditation.
- Kaumakapili Church (766 North King Street, Honolulu) will hold a Tenebrae Service at 7 p.m.
EASTER SUNRISE SERVICES
Easter Sunrise Service at Punchbowl
The Hawai'i Council of Churches, including the Hawai'i Conference UCC, will sponsor the 113th Easter Sunrise Service
at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl beginning at 6:15 a.m. Guest preacher is Father Anastasi, Abbot of St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church.
Other Local Church Events
- Nu'uanu Congregational Church and Hawai'i Kai UCC will join together in a sunrise service at Halona Blowhole Lookout beginning at 6 a.m.
- Moanalua Community Church (4867 Bougainville Drive, Honolulu) will hold its 8th Annual Spring Celebration from 12 to 4 p.m. Activities include egg hunts, relays with the Easter Bunny, a pie eating contest and more. Bounce houses, carnival games and food will be available.
- Manoa Valley Church (2728 Huapala Street, Honolulu) invites the public to “Experience Easter,” an interactive event that will bring biblical characters to life. The program begins at 7 a.m.
Ola'a Hosts Mother’s Day Luncheon, Essay Contest
“E Ku'u Mama”
is a Mother's Day luncheon on Saturday, May 10, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., at Ola'a First Hawaiian Congregational Church (17-516 Hale Pule Loop, Kurtistown). A $20 donation is requested. The church is also sponsoring an essay contest for entrants to describe their mother's gestures of aloha. Deadline to submit essays is May 3. Winners will be announced during the luncheon.
Golf Fundraiser Benefits Jail and Prison Ministry
A Golf-A-Thon fundraiser
to benefit Good News Jail & Prison Ministry will be held on June 6 at Makaha East Golf Course. Proceeds support the work of chaplains ministering to inmates and staff in Hawai'i’s prisons.
Submitted by Ron Lee, Manoa Valley Church Member
Workshop Invites Entrepreneurial Church Leaders
The Center for Progressive Renewal will host the National Church Leadership Institute
from August 7 to 10 in Atlanta, Georgia. Workshops topics will include social media, discipleship, pastoral resilience, and online ministry. Register by May 15 for a $100 discount off the registration price.
- David Kieffer began as Minister of Lili'uokalani Protestant Church on April 1.
- Youlida Yoruw concluded her service as Licensed Minister for the Micronesian ministry at Iao UCC on March 31.