Nomination Forms Mailed to Churches
Nominating forms and position descriptions for volunteer positions in the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ were mailed to churches last week. Nominees will be elected at the 'Aha Pae'aina in June and begin on July 1. Deadline for submitting nominations is March 3. Forms may be downloaded by clicking HERE
Register for Church Leaders Event
The deadline to register for the Church Leaders Event is next Monday, February 10. The event will take place on Saturday, February 22, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Nu'uanu Congregational Church (2651 Pali Highway). Cost is $25 for O'ahu attendees and $85 for Neighbor Island attendees (includes airfare). Click HERE to download the information and registration form mailed to churches. Click HERE to register on-line now.
Conference Council Highlights
The Conference Council, which oversees the ministries of the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ, met last Saturday, February 1, at the Conference Office. In addition to receiving reports
, the Council took the following actions:
- Acceptance of audited financial statements of the Hawai'i Conference and Hawai'i Conference Foundation for fiscal years ending 2013 and 2012.
- Consideration of an amendment to bylaws, recommended by the Audit Committee, calling for independent review of financial statements at a minimum.
- Designation of a youth/young adult, to be nominated from at-large (rather than by an association), for the additional General Synod delegate for 2015 from Hawai'i Conference.
- Appointment of the following persons to the Justice and Witness Missional Team: Sue Smith (Chair), Dennis Barger, Ellen Carson, Taka Harada, Linda Rich and Bonnie Shimatsu.
- Appointment of Jayne Ryan Kuroiwa as additional member of the Stewardship Missional Team.
- Appointment of Aletha Kaohi to three year terms on the G.N. Wilcox Trust’s Committee on Beneficiaries and the Elsie H. Wilcox Foundation’s Distribution Committee.
For more information, contact Conference Minister Charles Buck (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Council Chair Roberta Jahrling (email@example.com
Clergy Retreat on Hawai'i Island
The Annual Clergy Retreat, hosted by the Hawai’i Island Association, will take place from Monday, March 31, to Wednesday, April 2, 2014, at the Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel in Kailua-Kona. Click HERE
to download the information and registration form that was mailed out to pastors. To register and pay online, click HERE
Read New Issues of Parish Paper
New issues of the Parish Paper
have been posted on the website. Feel free to copy and share these with your congregation as part of the Hawai'i Conference subscription.
March 2014: "When Less Is More: The Consequences of Clergy Turnover
April 2014: "eGiving: It’s about More Than Money"
Kaua'i Youth Gather During Spring Break
The Kaua'i Association Spring Youth Retreat “Training for God’s Glorious Adventure,” will be held March 17-20, at Kokee cabin. Information and registration forms
are available. Deadline to register is February 21. Space is limited, so sign up early.
Poet Offers Psalm Writing Workshop
Poet and psalm enthusiast Ray McGinnis will conduct a psalm-writing workshop
at Kailua Christian Church (317 Manono Street, Kailua) on March 8, 2:30-5 p.m. For information and registration, call the church office at 808-261-0125.
- Hanapepe United Church of Christ called Michael Christensen as its pastor. The Rev. Christensen began his ministry at the church on February 1. Serving as Interim Minister was Tom Fujita, who ended on January 26.
- Rennie Mau began as Pastor of Ko'olau Hui’ia Church on February 1.
- Steve Hanning finished his term as Interim Minister of Lana'i Union Church on February 2.
Manoa Church Seeks Worship Music Leader
Manoa Valley Church is seeking a Worship Music Leader to lead praise team practices on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, and to lead music during Sunday worship service. The ability to play guitar or ukulele would be a bonus. Compensation is available for up to five hours per week. To apply or find out more, contact Anne Findlay-Chamberlain at firstname.lastname@example.org