Conference Office Closed Next Monday
The Conference Office will be closed next Monday, February 15, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
Leaders Event Registration Closes Today
Today is the deadline to register for the February 27 Church Leaders Event without late fee. Click HERE
to download the information and registration form. Click HERE
to register and pay on-line.
Lent Begins Today with Ash Wednesday
Observe Lent with Kamehameha Schools Devotions
Beginning today, Ash Wednesday (February 10), Hawaiian-focused, weekly devotions for Lent will be posted on the Kamehameha Schools website
. A new devotion will be posted every Friday.
Walk with Jesus through Lent
The Wednesday Evening Lenten Series
at Central Union Church (1660 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu) offers weekly labyrinth walks, meditations, a meal and the Animate: Practices
program. The series will run from February 17 to March 25, 5:00-7:30 p.m. Contact Brandon Duran at 808-440-3010 for more information.
Sign Up to Receive Lenten Carbon Fast Devotions
Looking to give up something for Lent? Try a carbon fast. When you sign up, you will receive a daily email beginning Ash Wednesday, February 10, until Easter Sunday, March 27, with a suggestion for reducing the amount of carbon you put into the air. Click HERE to sign up.
Find Resources for Lent and Easter
Lent and Easter resources, as well as a listing of Lenten and Holy Week events, can be found on the Hawai'i Conference website. Click HERE to send an email with your church’s event to be listed in the Coconut Wireless and posted on the website.
Download Latest Issue of The Friend
The February 2016 edition
of The Friend
, the newsletter of the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ, is now available online.
View New Photos on Website
The O'ahu Association installed Brandon Duran as Associate Minister of Central Union Church on February 7. Click HERE
to view photos from the service.
Council Approves Audit and Discusses Giving
At its meeting on February 6, the Hawai'i Conference Council heard updates from missional teams, associations and conference staff. Highlights include:
- Giving in 2015 to Our Churches Wider Mission (churches’ support of the Conference and UCC) increased 6% over the previous year. The total, nearly $291,000, is the highest received since at least 2010.
- The end-of-year appeal for Friends of the Conference (gifts from individuals), stands at just over $13,000 currently. This continues the upward trend over the last several years.
- As part of the Council’s strategic goals, Clergy Communities of Practice, which are small, facilitated groups for support and learning, will be formed to develop the pastoral leadership capacity of ministers.
- Local churches will be invited to host guests coming from the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea to the 'Aha Pae'aina in June as a prelude to establishing partnerships with a church in Korea.
- The following appointments were made: Diane Meyer to Audit Committee, and Sarah Jones to Stewardship Missional Team.
- Audited financial statements for the Conference and Foundation were approved.
For more information, read the materials
distributed at the meeting, or contact Chair Iese Tuuao (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Conference Minister Charles Buck (email@example.com
AHEC Seeks Search Committee Candidates
The Association of Hawaiian Evangelical Churches (AHEC) invites nominations
of persons to serve on a Papa Makua search committee.
Newsletter Gives Tips for Churches Going Social
Want to learn more about using social media for your church? Subscribe to “Get Social!”
, a new weekly newsletter from the UCC featuring latest social media tips and tricks for faith leaders and local churches.
Moanalua Church Hosts Job Workshop
As part of its community outreach, Moanalua Community Church will hold a “Prep for Success,”
one-day workshop covering resume writing and interview skills. The workshop will be held Saturday, February 20, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m, at the church (4867 Bougainville Drive, Honolulu). For more information and to register, call 808-780-2538 or 808-783-7471 by February 12.
Contact Information for Conference Staff
Following is contact information for ministerial staff of the Hawai'i Conference, including Sarah Jones, who started as Associate Conference Minister (ACM) for the Tri-Isle Association last week.
- Sarah Jones (Tri-Isle), firstname.lastname@example.org, 808-442-2489 (cell), 808-791-5643 (office)
- Kenneth Makuakane (AHEC), email@example.com, 808-294-8266 (cell), 808-791-5634 (office)
- Richard Kamanu (O'ahu and Kaua'i), firstname.lastname@example.org, 808-292-9811 (cell), 808-791-5633 (office)
- Charles Buck (Hawai'i Island and general), email@example.com, 808-271-6153 (cell), 808-791-5640 (office)