Download Latest Issue of The Friend
The December 2016
edition of The Friend
, the newsletter of the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ, is now available online.
Read New Issues of Parish Paper
New issues of the Parish Paper
have been posted on the Conference website. Feel free to copy and share these with your congregation as part of the Hawai'i Conference subscription.
Services and Concerts Celebrate Advent
Events, services and resources for Advent and Christmas can be found on the Hawai'i Conference website
, including these:
- Kawaiaha'o Concert: The Ministry of Music & Performing Arts at Kawaiaha'o Church presents a concert, “I Bring You Good News,” on Saturday, December 17, 7 p.m., at the church (957 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu).
- Messiah Singalong: Christ Church Uniting (1300 Kailua Road, Kailua) will host a singalong of Handel's Messiah on Saturday, December 17, beginning at 2:30 p.m. Singers and non-singers are welcome. Scores will be provided.
- Living Nativity: The biblical story of Christmas will be performed in a Living Nativity Pageant at Church of the Pacific (4520 Kapaka Road, Princeville) on Sunday, December 18, at 6:30 p.m.
- Blue Christmas Service: Central Union Church (1660 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu) invites those facing challenge, loss or grief at this time of year to “Blue Christmas: a Service of Reflection for the Longest Night.” The service, offering music, meditation, scripture and prayer, will be held on Wednesday, December 21, at 6:30 p.m.
- Candlelight Service: Nu'uanu Congregational Church hosts its annual Christmas Eve Candlelight Service on December 24 at 7 p.m.
Church Invites Peacemaker Nominations
Church of the Crossroads invites nominations of persons or organizations for its 2017 Peacemaker Award
. The award, presented each year during the church’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., service and celebration, recognizes life-time commitments to peace and justice issues in the community. Submit nominations to the church at 1212 University Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96826, or CCRHI@hawaii.rr.com
Apply for UCC Scholarships
The United Church of Christ offers a variety of scholarships for individuals engaged in education, leadership, and ministry. To learn more and to apply, click HERE
. Deadline for most scholarships are March 1, 2017.
Participate in Environmental Justice Survey
If your church has a community garden or solar panels, the Environmental Ministries office of the United Church of Christ would like to invite you to take a short survey. Contact them by email at email@example.com
or call 603-532-7289.
Program Gives Young Adults Service Opportunities
The Young Adult Volunteer
program of the Presbyterian Church (USA) offers to adults, ages 19 to 30, year-long service opportunities that address root causes of poverty, work for reconciliation and model responsible faith in action through intentional Christian community in cross-cultural settings.
Webinar Provides Tools for Standing Rock Interpretation
Pacific School of Religion recorded a webinar
that offers tools to help faith communities and leaders learn more about Standing Rock and the protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline.
Peace in Middle East Is Topic of Webinar
The ongoing challenges of Palestinian Christians and prospects for peace in Israel-Palestine will be discussed in a live webinar
on December 12 at 7 a.m. (Hawaii time). Hosted by Global Ministries
of the UCC and Disciples, the webinar will feature Mitri Raheb, a church pastor and theologian in the Holy Land, and preacher at the UCC General Synod in 2015.
Learn Biblical Hebrew
Introduction to Biblical Hebrew will be offered at Kawaiaha'o Church (957 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu), on Thursdays from January 12 through March 30, 5:45-8:45 p.m. For information and to register, click HERE
. Deadline to register is January 9.
O'ahu Association Convenes Ecclesiastical Council
The O'ahu Association will examine Scott Furukawa for ordination at an ecclesiastical council on Sunday, January 22, 4 p.m., at Manoa Valley Church (2728 Huapala Street, Honolulu). To ensure quorum, churches are asked to indicate whether they will attend or not by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
or calling 808-791-5633. Click HERE
for more information and to download his ordination paper.
Seminary Workshop ReIgnites
Pacific School of Religion hosts ReIgnite
workshops, which are four-day retreats for late-career and retired professionals seeking ways to use experiences and passions for personal and social transformation. The next series of workshops will be held at the Berkeley campus on February 16-19, 2017. Learn more and register by clicking HERE
Journalist Speaks at PSR on Migration and Borders
Jose Antonio Vargas, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, filmmaker and immigration activist, will speak about “Borders and Identity” at the 2017 Earl Lectures
of Pacific School of Religion (Berkeley, California) on March 17-18, 2017.