UCC Works with Partners in Storm-Ravaged Vanuatu
devastated the small South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu. The UCC is working with partners in the region in recovery efforts. Individuals and congregations are encouraged to support these efforts by giving to the UCC’s International Emergency Relief
View Photos of Events on Website
- View photos from the Clergy Retreat held last week, March 9-11, in Kona.
- The Hawai'i Island Association held a recognition service for Diane Hultman as licensed minister of Pu'ula United Church of Christ on Saturday, March 14.
Attend Tenebrae Services
- Kaumakapili Church (766 North King Street, Honolulu) will present “In Calvary’s Shadow: A Tenebrae Service” on Good Friday, April 3, at 7 p.m.
- Waiokeola Congregational Church (4705 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu) will hold its Good Friday Tenebrae Service on April 3 at 7 p.m. For information, call 808-737-0541.
Lenten and Easter resources, as well as a listing of Lent and Holy Week events, can be found on the Hawai'i Conference website
. Click HERE
to send an email with your church’s event to be listed in the Coconut Wireless
and posted on the website.
Easter Service at Punchbowl Continues Long Tradition
The Hawai'i Council of Churches, including the Hawai'i Conference UCC, will sponsor the 114th Easter Sunrise Service at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl on Sunday, April 5, beginning at 6:15 a.m. Preaching this year is David Rivers, Senior Minister of Central Union Church.
Last Chance to Take Church Leaders Survey
An email link to a survey on the Church Leaders Event held last month was sent to participants. If you attended and did not receive the survey, email firstname.lastname@example.org
. Responses will be accepted until Friday, March 20.
O'ahu Association Offers Polity Courses
The O'ahu Association offers an on-going series of free courses on UCC polity and history for those seeking UCC ministerial standing. The next session, “History of the UCC,” will be held on Saturday, March 21, from 9 a.m. to noon, at Community Church of Honolulu (2345 Nu’uanu Avenue, Honolulu). Lay members and authorized ministers are welcome to audit the series. For more information, contact Kyle Lovett at Kyle.email@example.com
Associations Gather for Spring Meetings
Mark your calendars for these upcoming gatherings:
- Kaua'i Association 'Aha Mokupuni, April 24-25, Lihue United Church
- Hawai'i Island Association 'Aha Mokupuni, April 25, Imiola Congregational Church
- O'ahu Association 'Aha Mokupuni, May 9, Moanalua Community Church
- Tri-Isle Association 'Aha Mokupuni, May 16, Keawala'i Congregational Church
Fundraisers Send O'ahu Youth to National Gathering
Tickets are still available for the Plate Lunch Fundraiser on Sunday, April 12, to help send youth to the UCC National Youth Event in 2016. Donations of food and supplies, as well as volunteers to help that day, are needed. For more information, visit http://www.hi2nye.org/upcoming-events/
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Collections of bedding, linen, clothing, shoes, and belts are also part of the HI2NYE fundraising efforts. If churches order plate lunches, these items will be picked up when lunches are delivered. They can also be dropped off at Community Church of Honolulu on Tuesday, April 14, with Manu Naeole. For more information, email Manu@cchonolulu.org
Church of the Crossroads Hosts Author March 21
Author and Church of the Crossroads member, Richard Tillotson, will read excerpts of his novel, What You Will On Capitol Hill
, at Church of the Crossroads in Weaver Hall, Saturday, March 21, 7 p.m. Book signing will follow.
Waiokeola Hosts Parenting Seminar
Author and lecturer, Jim Burns, will lead a seminar, “Confident Parenting,” this Sunday, March 22, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Waiokeola Congregational Church (4705 Kilauea Avenue). He will share tools to help your children make wise decisions and raise children who love God. For more information, call 808-737-0541, extension 3.
Holmes Scholarship Supports Windward Students
The Holmes Fund Scholarship
of Windward UCC provides aid to college-bound students from Windward O'ahu. To apply, visit www.windwarducc.org
or call 808-254-3802. Application deadline is April 13.
Kaua'i Youth Tackle Hard Issues in Musical
, a musical about difficult issues faced by teens, will be performed by youth of the Kaua'i Association from April 30 to May 3 at churches in Kapa'a and Hanapepe. Read more about this production in the March 14 story in the Garden Island
- Lawrence Roller began as Interim Pastor at Waipahu UCC on February 1. He is a retired minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Choo Lak Yeow ended as Interim Minister of Ewa Community Church on March 15.
- Randy Reynoso began as Pastor of Ewa Community Church on March 16. Previously, he was Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at UCC—Judd Street.