Be an Alternative Christmas Giver
at Global Ministries is a way to honor your loved ones and make a difference in the lives of individuals and communities in difficult circumstances. You select an area such as People in Mission, Water, Child Sponsorship, Microcredit, or wherever it is needed most, and 100% of your contribution will go to the initiatives of partners working directly in that area. Other ideas for Advent, including resources for worship and study, can be found at the Hawai'i Conference website
Conference Office Closes for Thanksgiving
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, the Conference Office will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 26 and 27.
Attend a Thanksgiving Eve Service
Thanksgiving Eve services will be held at different locations throughout the islands. Following are a couple of this year’s services on O'ahu:
- Waipahu United Church of Christ (94-330 Mokuola Street) Thanksgiving Eve Service & Ice Cream Social, Wednesday, November 25, 5:30 p.m.
- Windward Coalition of Churches Thanksgiving Eve Service, Wednesday, November 25, 7 p.m., at Windward United Church of Christ (38 Kaneohe Bay Drive, Kailua).
Insurance Board Invites Churches to Celebrate Anniversary
To celebrate its thirtieth anniversary of serving churches, the Insurance Board is inviting churches to share what they celebrate in 2015 and be eligible to win one of thirty monetary gifts. Deadline for submissions to its “Call to Celebrate”
campaign is December 15.
Council Appoints Committees, Approves Partnership Memorandum
The Conference Council, the governing body of the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ, met Saturday, November 14, at the Conference Office. In addition to receiving reports and updates from the missional teams, associations and Conference Minister, the Council took the following actions:
- Appointed members to all missional teams and committees
- Set 2016 housing allowances for qualified ministers on the Conference staff
- Approved, in concept, a memorandum of understanding of partnership with the South Seoul Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (final votes to be taken at annual meetings of the South Seoul Presbytery and Hawai'i Conference)
- Approved revisions to the sick leave policy of the Employee Handbook of the Conference and Foundation (to comply with changes in Federal law)
- Extended Richard Kamanu’s term as interim associate conference minister to June 30, 2016
- Received Donald Schmidt’s intention to resign as an associate conference minister effective January 1, 2016
Written materials from the Council meeting can be viewed HERE
. For more information, contact Council Chair Iese Tuuao (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Conference Minister Charles Buck (email@example.com
Registration Opens January 20 for National Youth Event
Registration for the UCC National Youth Event, taking place July 26-30, 2016, at Walt Disney World will begin January 20 and close on May 27. For full information and the latest updates, go to nye.uccpages.org
, retired minister of Kahikuonalani United Church of Christ, died November 9 at the age of 72 in Henrietta, Texas. Memorial service was held at his home on November 13 and graveside service on November 15.
William “Uncle Billy” Paris, Jr.
, former licensed minister of Lanakila Congregational Church, died November 14 at the age of 92. Service will be held at his residence (79-7345 Mamaloahoa Highway, Kealakekua) on Sunday November 29, 10 a.m., followed by interment of ashes at Lanakila Church.
Edward “Ted” Robinson
ended his interim ministry at Waiokeola. His last Sunday was October 25.
Associate Conference Minister Donald Schmidt
has announced his resignation effective January 1, 2016. Donald’s plan is to return home to Canada to be near family and friends. Tentatively, his last work day will be December 18, after which he will be on vacation.
- Community Church of Honolulu is seeking a Choir Director to start in January 2016. Choir meets on Sundays for worship and practice. Send resume to 2345 Nu'uanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817. For more information, call Helen Lee at 529-1041.
- Po'okela Church is looking for a Youth Leader to work 10 hours a week. For more information, contact Pastor Kimberly at 916-761-6362.