Churches Can Assist in Typhoon Recovery
In late March, Typhoon Maysak destroyed homes and much of the locally grown food in Chuuk and Yap. The United Church of Christ will work with the Micronesian Council of the United Church of Christ (MCUCC) to monitor recovery efforts and provide funds for food and rebuilding. Donations to the MCUCC relief fund can be sent to the Hawai'i Conference United Church of Christ or made on-line
. Please note on the check or in a cover note: “Typhoon Maysak.”
Look for 'Aha Pae'aina Registration Mailing
Registration packets for the 193rd 'Aha Pae'aina ('Aha Iki, June 10-11; 'Aha Makua, June 12-13) were mailed to churches last week. Deadline to register is May 8. Click HERE
to view this information on the website and to register on-line.
Council Prepares for 'Aha and Calls Interim ACM
Highlights from the Conference Council meeting held last Saturday, April 11, include:
- Continued discussion on long-range planning for the Hawai'i Conference
- Affirmation of creating a committee to consider, oversee and guide the Conference’s ecumenical partnerships. (Persons interested in serving on this new sub-committee of the Administration Missional Team should email Conference Minister Charles Buck.)
- Calling of the Rev. Richard Kamanu as an Interim Associate Conference Minister from June 1 to December 31, 2015.
- Recommendation to the 193rd 'Aha Pae'aina the approval of the Conference budget for fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015, and ending June 30, 2016; and election of nominees to the Conference Council.
Also, acting in its capacity as members of the Hawai'i Conference Foundation, the Council and Foundation Trustees approved the Foundation budget for fiscal year 2015-16.
For more information, contact Council Chair Iese Tuuao (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Conference Minister Charles Buck (email@example.com
). Click HERE
for reports and materials distributed at the meeting.
Meetings Will Present Future of Kalaupapa
The National Park Service (NPS), responsible for the management of Kalaupapa National Historical Park, will hold public meetings
around the islands and online in May to present its Draft General Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement
, which outlines the NPS management plan for the next 15-20 years. All are invited to attend and offer comments.
Meeting Promotes Suicide Prevention
Jerry Reed, Director of the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, will be the keynote speaker at the 15th Annual Prevent Suicide Hawai'i Healing after Conference, “E Mālama Ola (Caring for Life),” at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa on Hawai'i Island on April 30. For information and to register, click HERE
, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 844-642-6284.
Kaua'i Churches Host Diana Butler Bass
Diana Butler Bass, author of Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
, will be speaking at churches on Kaua'i from May 8 to 10. For schedule and full information, click HERE
Ministers in Transition
- Associate Conference Minister Diane Weible was officially elected to be the Conference Minister of the Northern California Nevada Conference. Her last day with the Hawai'i Conference will be May 20.
- Richard Kamanu was called by the Conference Council to be an Interim Associate Conference Minister in the Hawai'i Conference beginning June 1.
- Mary Olney-Loyd ended as Interim Pastor of Church of the Holy Cross, Hilo, on April 15.
- Choo Lak Yeow will begin as Interim Pastor of Church of the Holy Cross on April 16.
Upcoming Ordinations and Installations
- The O'ahu Association will hold a Service of Ordination for Joshua Hayashi, Chaplain at Punahou School, on Sunday, April 26, 4 p.m., at Makiki Christian Church (829 Pensacola Street, Honolulu).
- The Association of Hawaiian Evangelical Churches will install Wendi Gordon as Pastor of Ka Hana O Ke Akua Church (86-311 Lualualei Homestead Road, Waianae) on Saturday, May 2, at 3 p.m.
- Randy Reynoso will be ordained and installed, by the O'ahu Association, as Pastor and Teacher of Ewa Community Church (91-1258 Renton Road, Ewa Beach) on Sunday, May 17, 4 p.m.