Website Features Photos from Associations
View photos from 'Aha Mokupuni of the Hawai'i Island Association
, held October 25 at Lanakila Congregational Church, and of the Kaua'i Association
, held November 2 at Hanapepe Hawaiian Congregational Church.
Conference Council Meets with National Executives
The Hawai'i Conference Council met this last Saturday, November 1, and heard updates and highlights from the UCC national setting from James Moos, Executive Minister for Wider Church Ministries. The Rev. Moos and the Rev. Jane Sullivan-Davis, executive for development, visited Hawai'i this last week to share the work of Global Ministries.
The Council also discussed initial steps toward long-range planning and possibilities for mission partnerships, made appointments to missional teams, and elected Joshua Weible (Kailua Christian Church) as a youth/young adult delegate to General Synod and Erica Bonilla (Pearl City Community Church) as alternate delegate to Synod.
for reports that were distributed at the meeting. For more information, contact Council Chair Iese Tuuao (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Conference Minister Charles Buck (email@example.com
Online Youth Curriculum Stresses Justice
R.E.A.D.Y. (Revolutionary, Engaged and Driven Youth) is a justice-oriented curriculum that takes youth on a journey of self-discovery to broaden their view of themselves, the church, the community, and their place in the world. Developed by Global Ministries of the United Church of Christ and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), it is free and available by download
See Photos of Kaua'i Fall Youth Camp
Pictures taken at the Kaua'i Association Fall Intersession Camp, held October 5-8, can be viewed on the Kauai Association Youth website
Become a Summer Chaplain at Chautauqua
UCC clergy are invited to serve as summer chaplains at Chautauqua United Church of Christ Society in New York. Nine people will be selected to serve one week each in the summer of 2015. For more information and to apply, visit the Chautauqua UCC Society website at www.cuccs.org
. Deadline for online applications is November 30.
Workshop Helps Seniors Prevent Falls
Manoa Valley Church (2728 Huapala Street, Honolulu) will host a Fall Prevention Workshop on Wednesday, November 12, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., for older adults and family caregivers. Leading the workshop will be David Nakamaejo of Comforting Hands Senior Care.
Communities Gather for Thanksgiving
Interfaith and ecumenical communities gather for thanksgiving services at various locations throughout the islands, including these on O'ahu:
- Nu'uanu Valley Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, "Feeding the Hope," on Tuesday, November 25, 7 p.m., at Temple Emanu-El (2550 Pali Highway, Honolulu)
- Windward Coalition of Churches Thanksgiving Eve Service on Wednesday, November 26, 7 p.m., at Pohai Nani (45-090 Namoku Street, Kaneohe)
Find Crafts at Kawaiaha'o Holiday Fair
The Annual Holiday Craft Fair of Kawaiaha'o Church (957 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu) will take place on Saturday, November 29, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fair will feature over fifty local craft and food vendors and entertainment. For more information, contact the church office at 808-469-3000.
In Memory: Herbert White
Retired minister Herbert White died October 19 at his home in San Antonio, Texas, at the age of 81. The Rev. White was ordained in 1958 and served churches in Maryland, New York, New Mexico and Hawai'i. Condolences may be sent to his spouse, Jessica Fernandez-White, 102 Bella Vista Drive, San Antonio, TX 78228.
In the News
- Aletha Kaohi, member of Hanapepe Hawaiian Church and chair of the Formation Missional Team, was recently interviewed in The Garden Island promoting “The Festival of Stars” that was held in October.
- Gertrude Hara, member of UCC-Judd Street and first female president of the Chinese Christian Association of Hawai'i (CCA), is featured in a Honolulu Star-Advertiser story about this 137 year-old organization, whose members come primarily from four churches on O'ahu, including First Chinese Church of Christ in Hawai'i and UCC—Judd Street.
- Judy Keith, member of Nu'uanu Congregational Church, talks to MidWeek about why she volunteers her time as the church's coordinator for Family Promise.
is seeking an Administrative Assistant to provide clerical support to the Executive Secretary. For additional information and to apply click HERE