|Take Action to Protect People and the Planet
- Support Creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency Now!
- Join the Call for Derivatives Reform
- Ring Your Church Bells - Send a Message to Copenhagen!
Support Creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency Now!
We know, all too well, the disruption and pain caused by unregulated financial markets. Wall Street and the big banks want to return to business as usual, now that the financial system has been saved from collapse by an infusion of nearly ten trillion dollars in loans and loan guarantees, courtesy of taxpayers. But while Wall Street is making profits again, Main Street continues to suffer.
Congress will vote soon on the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency (CFPA) whose sole mission would be to protect consumers from dangerous financial products and practices. Congress needs to hear that this agency is needed to protect the financial interests of ordinary people. Click here to take quick action.
This action has been developed by Americans for Financial Reform and American for Fairness in Lending. The two coalitions have partnered to reform the nation’s lending industry and financial system to protect Americans’ neighborhoods, homes and pocketbooks. Included in this broad coalition are groups like PICO, with which many in the Oblate network are involved locally in the work for economic justice. Click here to take action today to show that there is strong popular support for the Consumer Financial Protection Agency.
Join the Call for Derivatives Reform
Derivatives are still probably somewhat mysterious for most of us, but at the least, we understand that they played an important role in the recent financial collapse. To prevent a recurrence, the financial regulatory system must undergo reform. This reform must include stronger regulation and reporting requirements for the over-the-counter derivatives market.
Click here to send a letter to your representative in Congress calling for needed reform in this area.
Ring Your Church Bells - Send a Message to Copenhagen!
International climate change talks are set to start in Copenhagen on December 7th, and the Earth’s future is at stake. It’s time for us to do everything we can to ensure that the US works hard to insure the world community emerges from Copenhagen with a just, binding, science-based climate treaty.
Caritas Internationalis and the World Council of Churches are calling on Christians around the world to ring our church bells on Sunday, December 13th to show solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the globe who already are experiencing the devastating effects of climate change.
RING YOUR BELLS!
Christians will be ringing their church bells 350 times for climate justice on Sunday December 13, 2009 at 3:00pm (your local time zone).
Sunday December 13 is a day of action for churches around the world. A global bell ringing action is timed to coincide with an ecumenical service that the World Council of Churches is coordinating at the height of the talks in Copenhagen. When it ends at 3:00 pm, churches all over Denmark will ring their bells.
If churches around the world ring their bells at 3:00 pm local time, we’ll have a 24 hour chain of bells!
Why church bells?
- Can’t manage at 3:00?
- How about when church ends?
- That way your entire church community can be involved!
Why 350 times?
- Because for thousands of years, they’ve been used to warn people of imminent danger … and also to call people to action.
- Got no bells?
- Gather outside with pots and pans, cowbells, whatever you have that can make a holy racket!
- Because according to climate experts, 350 parts per million (ppm) is the upper limit for carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration in our atmosphere. Until about 200 years ago, our atmosphere contained 275 ppm of CO2, but now the concentration stands at 390 ppm. Unless we are able to reduce this rapidly, we risk irreversible impacts on all of Creation.
- 350 a little too much noise for your neighborhood?
- Try 35!