Ten Years Ago this June...
... a particular event happened to a particular person in a particular denomination.
But very quickly, the Reformed Church in America General Synod's decision to discipline the Rev. Dr. Norman Kansfield for having officiated at the same-gender wedding of his daughter and her partner took on a broader perspective. A supporting community of RCA folk rose up in grief, solidarity, and gospel-compelled urgency, and Room for All was the result.
Ten years later, RfA's ministry has touched lives and opened the doors of hearts, minds, and churches. There have been setbacks and gains, mistakes and blessings, sorrow and celebration.
If you're receiving this newsletter, it's because you signed on at some level to partner in RfA's mission. What better time than now? Here are some ways that you can join the anniversary celebration:
1. Send us a video, a written piece, or a photo.
Do you have a memory, a reflection, an inspiration to share about a way that RfA has intersected with your life or that of someone you love? A story about being a "Room for All Church?" A challenge for the future?
- Share it with us in a short video. 5 minutes or less. Use your phone, your camera, whatever you have. Send it to us via email, or Dropbox, or Google docs, or on a flash drive. If videos aren't your thing...
- Write it down and email it or mail it to us. Again, keep it short. No time?...
- Show us your memory with a photo. Pictures from an RfA conference, or BIC workshop, or an LGBTQ-welcoming event that took place in your church? Share them with us via email!
In all cases, we reserve the right to use your submission or not, or to edit as we see fit. If we decide to use your material, we'll share it in special anniversary announcements via our social media.
2. Plan now to attend our 10th anniversary national conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan, October 22 - 24/25.
As in the past, the formal part of the conference will end with worship on Saturday. This year, we're adding a couple of special events for those who choose to stay another night. After a free Saturday afternoon:
Details will be out soon, but here are some highlights:
- Saturday evening drama, "Listening for Grace" at the historic Wealthy Theater.
- Sunday morning worship with the congregation at Central Reformed Church with Rev. Dr. Norman Kansfield, guest preacher.
All the details and registration information will be out soon. Your participation and presence will be a gift to yourself and all who attend.
3. Help us make all this happen with a financial contribution.
Your gift in any amount will underwrite this special anniversary conference, including making it possible for students and others who may request financial assistance. You may donate via our website, or send a designated check payable to Room for All to the address below.
Questions? Contact us at 201-364-4538 or 201-803-9738. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com