Social Justice At BAJC
by Jim Levinson & Laura Berkowitz
Some years back our Brattleboro Interfaith Initiative developed the idea of a "carbon fast" which church members could do during Lent - one eco-friendly action a day. The idea has gone viral. Just Google on Carbon Fast to check it out.
But why should this idea be limited to the church goers?!? Why not commemorate the month of Elul - before the High Holidays (a time of reflection and preparation) with a BAJC Save-The-Planet-for-our-Kids action program. This means that every morning during Elul, BAJC members and others who sign up would receive an "action" to carry out during the day.
Here are some examples:
· Remove one light bulb from a light in your home (without creating an unsafe situation).
· Ensure that your cell phone charger is unplugged when not in use. Many electronics and appliances
continue to draw power even when they are off.
· Set a timer for 5 minutes before your shower, and see how your normal shower length compares.
· Only run your washing machine when you have a full load. Using the cold water setting saves energy.
· Take a walk in your community. Greet your neighbors with a smile. Listen to the birds, look at the
trees, and feel the rain, snow, or sun on your face. Rejoice in all creation!
As we did when we brought the speaker on Human Trafficking, we would publicize our project and seek co-sponsorship with our Compassionate Brattleboro committee, and the Brattleboro Interfaith Leadership Alliance so that all of its churches might do the same during Lent.
Let’s put BAJC on the Social Action map!