Vail Construction Activity
May 11, 2015
Primary Contact: Leonard Sandoval, Town of Vail Construction Area Coordinator
970-390-4677 or 970-479-2198; firstname.lastname@example.org
May 12 Weekly Construction Update Meeting, 9 a.m. Lionshead Welcome Center
May 12 Whitewater Race Series, 5 to 8 pm Tuesdays through June 9; Gore Creek
downstream of Covered Bridge
May 15 Town of Vail Spring Clean Up
May 25 Summer Bus Schedule Begins
June 4-7 GoPro Mountain Games
June 12 Annual “Get the Lead Out” & Paper Shredding
June 23 Last Weekly Construction Update Meeting of Spring Construction Season
CONSTRUCTION SEASON UNDERWAY
Contractors are allowed to work within the public right-of-way in Vail Village and Lionshead from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week until June 26, with the exception of designated special event days, such as GoPro Mountain Games, June 4-7; Vail Arts Festival in Lionshead, June 26-28; as well as Sundays during the Vail Farmers’ Market and Art Show beginning June 21.
WEEKLY CONSTRUCTION UPDATE MEETINGS
Join us each Tuesday at 9 a.m. on the ground level of the Lionshead Welcome Center for weekly project updates. The meetings are facilitated by Leonard Sandoval, Town of Vail construction area coordinator, and are intended to open the lines of communication between various contractors, schedules and impacted properties. The weekly gathering will continue to June 23 and will resume again in the fall.
VAIL POLICE: BE BEAR AWARE
The Vail Police Department is reminding contractors to be mindful about bears and other wildlife. Construction sites are required to use bear-proof containers. Be sure to remove all food items from vehicles and keep them locked. Report all bear activity by calling the police department at 970-479-2201.
Here’s a recap of the various construction projects in and around Vail.
- Covered Bridge repairs. Removal of the construction fencing and cleanup is scheduled for the morning of May 15. The Covered Bridge will be open to the public shortly afterwards. Work began April 20 and includes staining of bridge and girder repairs. Wok requires a full bridge closure. Golf carts are being staffed from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily to assist pedestrians with the detour via International Bridge. Note: Gore Creek remains temporarily closed to all boating upstream from the bridge until this work is complete. Watch for information on the creek’s reopening which is tentatively scheduled for May 15. For details, contact John King, Town of Vail Facilities Manager, at 970-479-2170.
- Vail Village parking structure repairs. The top deck is currently closed for structural work. Completion of work, pending weather, is scheduled for the week of May 11. The closure includes the taxi and shuttle lanes and short-term parking area. Oversize vehicle parking is being redirected to the top deck of the Lionshead parking structure. For details, contact John King, Town of Vail Facilities Manager, 970-479-2170.
- Vail Village Parking Structure.The Town of Vail Facility Crew will be washing and re-striping the parking lots. Work is scheduled to start on May 18, and will take approximately two weeks to complete. For safety reasons, please observe all coned closures. Town of Vail contact is John King, 970-479-2170.
- Pirateship Park maintenance. The park is closed for painting and minor repairs as of May 11. Work should be complete by Wednesday, May 22, depending on the weather. Contact Gregg Barrie at 970-479-2337 for additional information.
- Wall Street Building remodel, 225 Wall Street. Work includes adding 900 sq. ft. of commercial space and 330 sq. ft. of office space with a completion date of mid-August. Note: The closure of the Wall Street public restrooms has been extended currently until May 18, due to some unforeseen building foundation issues. Signage has been posted and directs the public to use the restrooms at Checkpoint Charlie. Wall Street will be impacted during the spring season for staging and construction access. Contractor is Rocky Mountain Construction Group, Mark Hallenbeck, 719-499-9248, or Mike Losey, 970-390-5943. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-390-4677.
- Sebastian Unit 507 reconstruction. Remodel consists of exterior work to the fifth floor and roof. Includes use of tower crane and staging within CDOT right-of-way. During construction, temporary, single lane and sidewalk closures on the South Frontage Road will be required to accommodate construction. The pedestrian sidewalk will be relocated a few feet to the north to provide additional access for the tower crane and scheduled construction deliveries. Contractor is required to comply with the 2015 Vail Village/Lionshead Village Construction Hours Handout. Project completion date is April 2016. Construction activity within CDOT Right of Way will be completed by Nov. 15, 2015. Contractor is Haselden Construction. Contact is Brian Hunt 720-341-7930.
- Gore Valley Trail improvements. Reconstruction of the Gore Valley Trail recreation path between Lionshead and West Meadow Drive is taking place. The work includes installation of two steel truss bridges, replacement of trail lighting, stream bank stabilization work, realignment of a portion of the trail and removal/replacement of the existing asphalt paving. Work will be completed by July 16. Traffic will be detoured onto East Lionshead Circle. Town of Vail contact is Gregg Barrie, 970-479-2337.
- Lionshead Mall/Lionshead Place/Arrabelle Plaza repairs. Work includes mechanical repairs on most manifold boxes. Repairs are scheduled through mid-June. For details, contact Leonard Sandoval, 970-390-4677.
- The Lion Redevelopment (formerly Strata and Lionshead Inn and Lionshead Annex), 705 W. Lionshead Circle. Construction began last spring and is scheduled for a fall 2016 completion. Impacts include various periodic single lane closures along the South Frontage Road and West Lionshead Circle throughout the duration of the project. An additional 200 ton crane is now on site to assist with the concrete pours and all steel deliveries. Contractor is PCL Construction, Inc. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-479-2198.
- Lionshead Parking Structure maintenance. The Town of Vail Facility Crew will be washing and re-striping the parking lots. Work is scheduled to start June 8, (pending the completion of the Village Parking Structure) and will take approximately two weeks to complete. For safety reasons, please observe all coned closures. Town of Vail contact is John King, 970-479-2170.
- Lower Bench improvements. This project began in March and includes construction of a new restroom near the Ford Park playground, improvements to the playground, an extension of the water main and installation of concrete pavers on Betty Ford Way to the Manor Vail Covered Bridge. Pedestrian access is available to the Nature Center Bridge. West Betty Ford Way from the Frontage Road to the Manor Vail Bridge will remain closed through the duration of construction. The project is scheduled for completion in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens Education Center. Construction continues on this $3.5 million project which includes a 3,000 sq. ft. building and associated landscaping. Impacts include the closure of the west side of Betty Ford Way until mid June. The project is scheduled to be completed in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Aspen Wireless/Crown Castle DAS wireless project. Final punch list items and landscaping repairs. Start date is yet TBD. Town of Vail contact is Ron Braden, 970-479-2154.
- Lion’s Ridge Village Apartments construction (redevelopment of eastern half of Timber Ridge), 1265 N. Frontage Rd. W. This project involves the demolition of 102 two-bedroom units and the construction of 112 new one and two bedroom units. The first units will be available for occupancy in September and all units completed by the end of the year. Contractor is RA Nelson. Town of Vail contact is George Ruther, 970-479-2145.
- Marriott Residences (formerly Roost Lodge). Construction is currently on hold. Proposed construction start date is now scheduled for spring of 2016. The site will be cleaned, existing surface will be graded evenly and landscaped with a seed mix and the construction fence will be removed. This is scheduled for June 2015. Contractor is G.E. Johnson Construction Company. Contact is Andy Sandoval, 970-376-2523.
- I-70 Bridge improvements at Eagle-Vail. This Colorado Department of Transportation project began last August and consists of repairing and rehabilitating both the eastbound and westbound bridge structures located near mile marker 168.7, at the point where I-70 crosses over both the Eagle River and Highway 6. More specifically, work includes girder repair, bridge deck repair and repaving. Structures, Inc. of Englewood is the contractor for the $8.1 million project. It is scheduled for completion before July 2016. For additional information about this project, email I70EagleVail@gmail.com to be added to the electronic updates.
- Rockledge Road and mid-Forest Road water, sewer and drainage improvements. In a joint project with the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District, water, sewer and storm drain infrastructure will be upgraded on Rockledge Road and a portion of Forest Road. Equipment staging will occur about May 20; work is expected to begin about June 1 and finish in late November. If needed, work will resume after the 2015-16 ski season and be completed by July 2016. Eagle River Water and Sanitation District contact is John Cahill, 970-471-5357. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Town wide crack sealing project. Superior Asphalt has been selected by the town to perform maintenance crack sealing on town roads, bike paths and park/trailhead parking lots. The project will require single lane closures on roadways and short-term rolling closures of bike paths as crews install the crack seal material. The project is anticipated to take approximately three weeks, with completion by June 12. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Asphalt overlay project. An asphalt overlay is scheduled for Sunburst Drive, Elkhorn Drive and Vail Valley Drive (South Frontage Road to Ptarmigan Road). The project is anticipated to take approximately 10 days, with completion by June 12. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Bighorn Creek culvert replacement at Columbine Drive. The existing metal culvert containing Bighorn Creek under Columbine Drive is scheduled to be replaced with a concrete box culvert. Columbine Drive will be reduced to a single lane during construction. The Bighorn Creek Trailhead parking will be relocated to along the shoulder of Columbine Drive just south of I-70 to facilitate construction. The trail access will remain open to the public; however, parking will be prohibited at the trailhead. Construction is anticipated to begin mid-July with completion by end of October 2015. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Slurry seal project. The town will be performing slurry seals on roads during the month of September. Roads scheduled to be slurry sealed this year are all town roads north of I-70 from Arosa Drive to Red Sandstone Road. Slurry seal creates a new wearing surface and seals the asphalt to prevent the damaging effects of water intrusion into the pavement. Single-lane traffic will be maintained at all times; however, motorists should expect delays. Traffic will be allowed to return to the new surface after it dries, typically after two hours. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- I-70 Vail chain station improvement project. This project is scheduled for bids in June 2015 with an anticipated construction start in August. This includes extending the existing chain station at mile marker 178 approximately 1,500 feet west. Eastbound I-70 will be widened, requiring a wall between I-70 and the South Frontage Road. In addition, existing chain station lighting will be replaced with the must current chain station LED light standard.
- I-70 Fiber Optic Project. ADB Companies installing fiber optic cable along I-70 for CDOT will be boring under the West Vail north roundabout. Shoulder closures on the I-70 ramps and North Frontage Road are anticipated. For project information contact 314-914-2509 or 314-581-2029.
- Bridge Rail Repair. Mueller Construction will begin replacing the bridge rails and approach rails on the Main Gore Drive and Black Gore Drive structures over Gore Creek starting May 18. Work is anticipated to be completed in three weeks. Daytime single lane closures are scheduled to complete the work. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD
Do you know of others who would be interested in receiving construction updates from the Town of Vail? To sign up for the email updates, go to vailgov.com/town-services and click Vail Mail Newsletter under the Connect section.
# # #