What did you need from the store? Was it bread, milk and other perishables? If not, what items were non perishable supplies that could have been kept on hand? If you needed it for the current emergency, there is a very good chance you will need it for a future crisis. Make a list of supplies to keep on hand and use and replace them regularly.
Did you know where to find everything that you already have? If you had to really search for supplies that are already on hand consider keeping everything together for the next emergency in a location that you will be able to access without electricity. Don’t store emergency supplies in a dark basement or really full closet.
Were any of your supplies too old or not functioning? Supplies don’t last forever and many need to be used and serviced regularly. I would have a running refrigerator right now but my generator hasn’t been used or started in 4 years. This is definitely on my list of things to fix and service regularly. Don’t forget to remove batteries before storing items so that the batteries do not corrode and ruin anything.
Was there anything that you needed to do that you did not know how to do? Do you know where to shut off water and power to your home? Do you know how to hook up and start a gas generator? Consider having someone show you these skills for the next emergency.
Her are just a few items that I like to keep on hand.
- Batteries in a variety of sizes for a radio, flashlight or lantern
- Gas grill and spare propane tank with cook ware for the grill. You can cook just about anything on a gas grill with a few cast iron pans. Coffee is simple with a percolator or French press.
- Coolers that can become your refrigerator with a bit of ice.
- First aid supplies for minor injuries.
- Spare blankets and cold weather gear for winter emergencies
- Candles and matchesNon perishable foods like soup and tuna
- Gas cans with gas. Use and replace regularly.
A little bit of preparedness goes along way during any emergency or natural disaster, the more that you have on hand the less frustrated you will be waiting in long lines.