Spartan Spot serves up a new look
Check out the Spartan Spot the next time you're on campus. Its fresh look includes new artwork on the walls and an updated campus grill called True Burger, featuring dine-in and carryout menu items. Students can also take a break from classes at the Spot to watch TV, use a computer, or socialize with friends.
A Message from the Dean
Aurora, we have lift off!
The spring 2021 semester is off to a great start! We appreciate your hard work in partnering with us to ensure that the start of the term was a success. Here are some highlights:
- Impressive Spartan Safety guideline compliance. We are incredibly happy that you and your peers are doing your best to comply with these guidelines and the Spartan Compact. By always wearing a mask, socially distancing, and following CDC and Illinois Department of Public Health guidelines, you are living one of AU’s core values: citizenship.
- Approximately four out of five students in hybrid courses have started off the term remotely. Remember, in hybrid courses, you have the option to switch back and forth between learning in person or remotely on any day for any hybrid course.
- In response to graduate student feedback, our graduate courses (MBA and MSA/ACC) on the main campus and at the Orchard Center are being offered remotely for the first eight weeks. We will decide about mode of delivery for the second eight weeks in early to mid-February.
- Our graduate courses (MBA and MPA) at the Woodstock Center continue to meet in person.
- Our fully online students enrolled in AU Online continue their education without interruption.
So, all in all, we are very pleased with the start of the term. Now, let me share some highlights of upcoming events and opportunities.
Sundays @ 7 Career Conversations
Last fall, the Office of Alumni Relations kicked off our series of events where recent alumni were invited back to talk with AU students about their different career paths. We are excited to announce that a new roster of alumni will be joining us this spring to continue this highly successful series. The first two events are listed below in the "Key dates" section.
The Spartan Summer
A few years ago, AU began to reimagine the summer experience for students. I am very excited to announce that this summer, AU is expanding its offerings to help you accelerate your undergraduate degree completion, engage in immersion experiences, participate in professional preparation courses, and of course, assist you in completing a graduate degree in one year as part of our expanding list of Plus One programs. I hope you are as excited about the summer as I am.
Finally, I would like to reiterate that the university continues to offer resources to benefit your learning. Responding to increased student demand, Phillips Library has expanded its hours. The new hours are:
- Monday–Thursday, 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m.
- Friday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Saturday, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Sunday, 3–10 p.m.
Information Technology Services continues to have loaner laptops available for students. If you need to borrow a computer for the remainder of the semester, please contact ITS.
If you do not have reliable WiFi access, we have a lot of room on campus for you to join your classes and/or meet with classmates to work on projects:
- Alumni Hall: Monday–Sunday, 6:30 a.m.–10 p.m.
- Alumni 136 Computer Lab
- Alumni Lounge
- Tru Blu Dining (limited hours)
- Dunham Hall: Monday–Friday, 7 a.m.–10 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Dunham Atrium
- Dunham 010 Computer Lab
- Dunham 102 Computer Lab (limited hours)
- Institute for Collaboration: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
- Crimi Atrium
- Tru Blu Coffee (previously named Jazzman’s/Spartan Hideaway)
- Stephens Hall: Monday–Friday, 7 a.m.–9 p.m.
- Spartan Spot/True Burger dining hours: Monday–Friday, 11 a.m.–10 p.m., Saturday–Sunday, 5–10 p.m.
Toby J. Arquette, PhD
Dean, Dunham School of Business and Public Policy
January 24, 2021 Sundays @ 7 Alumni Career Conversation: Remya Joseph, Health Science ’16, Clinical Research Project Manager at Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital
March 5, 2021
January 31, 2021 Sundays @ 7 Alumni Career Conversation: Liz (Knock) Adams, Business and Marketing ’09, Manager of Product Marketing at Newell Brands
February 10, 2021 Deadline to register for CareerFest (via Handshake)
February 12, 2021 CareerFest
February 21, 2021 Module I – Last day to drop with automatic "W"
March 1, 2021 Summer 2021 Dunham School Internship application deadline. For more information, contact Brianne Di Pasquantonio, Dunham School Internship Program Manager.
Mid-semester vacation day
AU Theatre Department presents virtual winter play
Approximately 25 students will present AU’s winter play, “Sonnets for an Old Century,” via digital stream on January 22–24, 2021, at 7:30 p.m. “Sonnets” examines what it means to be alive at a particular time and place and what traces each of us will leave behind. In this production, the waiting room to the afterlife is an abandoned theatre and recently departed souls from all walks of life get one final monologue. For more information or to make a reservation to watch the password-protected video, please visit aurora.edu/sonnets.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources and Updates
The university continues to provide coronavirus (COVID-19) updates online. The webpage also includes links to FAQs, additional resources, and CARES Act Reporting information.