INN & member news
Nonprofit news well-represented at ONA19
Nonprofit news enthusiasts at our Business Intensive program on Sept. 11. The workshop focused on building podcasts for news outlets.
INN members were well-represented at this year’s Online News Association conference, last week in New Orleans. More than 130 people from dozens of INN organizations descended on New Orleans for the largest gathering of online journalists in the U.S.
The activity started early, with our pre-conference INN Business Intensive workshop on Wednesday that helped about 25 people learn about podcasting and about eight people hone their skills in major gift solicitation.
The podcast training was led by three trainers from PRX. By the end of the intense, eight-hour program, groups of five members had each practiced the skills needed to do research into podcast development, develop a rudimentary audience and business plan and then created a 2-minute audio trailer.
The major gifts training was part of a year-long educational program with Diane Remin. Remin led a major gifts training program in 2018 that was so successful it was run again this year. The in-person program was designed to get participants ready to make the right ask to help their organizations succeed.
During the actual ONA conference, several sessions examined the challenges facing INN members, including developing audience for local news, identifying new business models and funding opportunities and even lessons learned in running a start-up.
For INN staff, the highlight of the conference was getting dozens of members together for the annual INN @ ONA Happy Hour, hosted at the Backspace Bar in the French Quarter. The bar had an official capacity of 65 people and was completely full. Thanks to everyone who turned out to enjoy good drinks, good food and great camaraderie of INN colleagues.
Upcoming opportunities for INN members
From INN & members:
INN Labs Tech Support for NewsMatch 2019 Participants
Thanks to generous funding from the Knight Foundation, INN Labs will help participants improve their website donation flows, learn how to use existing tools to optimize campaigns and add important NewsMatch messaging and media to their sites.
> Interested in technical help from INN Labs? Sign up for a 1:1 meeting.
From our friends outside of INN:
Report for America webinar
Join Report for America on Sept. 23 for an information session on becoming a host newsroom in 2020! If selected, Report for America will help you select a talented reporter. They will also provide training and pay half of the reporter's salary up to $20,000. Applications are open until Sept. 30. Register here.
Content engagement & revenue generation webinar
Three platforms that are working to bridge the gap between content engagement and revenue generation — Groundsource, Hearken and INN member News Revenue Hub — will present use cases in public media and answer questions from participants in WBUR BizLab's Sept. 24 webinar.
Local Legal Initiative webinar
INN and LION members are invited to join the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press for an information session on Oct. 1 for RCFP's Local Legal Initiative, a new program placing lawyers in five cities across the U.S. in 2020. RCFP is seeking proposals from news organizations for a lawyer to be placed in their city. The deadline to submit a proposal is Oct. 31, 2019. Register here.
Have an opportunity to share with INN members? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Case You Missed It
- A new study shows that, while it's difficult to change consumers' opinions of the news industry, explaining the journalistic process is helpful.
Society of Professional Journalists
- Philanthropy is playing an increasingly important role in advancing new business models for the journalism industry — with journalism funding nearly quadrupled since 2009.
Media Impact Funders
- For those unable to attend ONA last week, here's a roundup of resources from the conference.
Online News Association
- Public news consumers tend to lean older, educated and politically diverse, according to new research.
Reuters Institute, University of Oxford
- Five foundations are working together to advance solutions for chronic underfunding of their grantees.
Chronicle of Philanthropy
Celebrating member achievements — Congratulations:
To the winners of 2019 Online Journalism Awards:
To ProPublica for the launch of new tool, Collaborate, to help multiple newsrooms work together on data projects.
- ProPublica, General Excellence in Online Journalism, Medium category
- Honolulu Civil Beat, General Excellence in Online Journalism, Small category
- Reveal & PRX, Type Investigations, Excellence in Audio Digital Storytelling, Use of Audio Storytelling category
- Electionland Coalition, ProPublica, Excellence in Collaboration and Partnerships
- Charleston Gazette-Mail, ProPublica, Explanatory Reporting, Medium category
- The Center for Public Integrity, Feature Reporting, Small category
- City Bureau, Gather Award in Engaged Journalism, Project category
- Newsy, ProPublica, Reveal & PRX, The Al Neuharth Innovation in Investigative Journalism Award, Medium Newsroom category
- McClatchy, Miami Herald, The Trace, Pro-Am Student Award
To the second round of FJP Community Network grant recipients:
To CivicStory, the project lead of the NJ Sustainability Reporting Hub, which announced that eight news organizations around New Jersey have agreed to host early to mid-career journalists selected as New Jersey Sustainability Reporting Fellows through January 2020.
- City Limits
- Connecticut Mirror
- Next City
- The Sahan Journal
To the journalists selected for Poynter's fourth annual Leadership Academy for Diversity in Digital Media:
- Dwayne Burtin, Deputy Editor of Digital News for Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service
- Mohammed Kloub, Audience Engagement Editor for Crosscut
- Aliyya Swaby, Public Education Reporter for The Texas Tribune
- A new Netflix show, Unbelievable, based on an article by ProPublica and The Marshall Project, premiered last Friday.
Do you have news to share or want to submit a profile of your nonprofit news organization? Tell us at email@example.com.
INN, Nonprofit News Strategies
Sue Cross | Email | @suecross
Mara Jezior | Email | @marajezior
Learning + Training
Fran Scarlett | Email
Services & Collaboration
Jonathan Kealing | Email | @JKealing
Fiscal Sponsorship, Business Services
Chip Potts | Email
Kay Lima | Email | @kayleen_lima
Larry Horne | Email