Orienteering SA ENEWS 20 August 2019
Please send all contributions to email@example.com Articles should be concise & can contain hyper links but no attachments or graphics. Normally ENEWS is sent out on Tuesdays so copy needs to be sent in by Monday at the latest. Check out other news on the OrienteeringSA website: https://sa.orienteering.asn.auor the Facebook Orienteering SA page.
Robyn Dose - Editor
1. Belair OY and MTBO event 25 August
2. Saltbush - Cheeseboard Hill 25 August
3. North Adelaide event 1 September
4. September newsletter - call for articles
5. September Australian Orienteer
6. Training day Para Wirra 15 September
7. Manager sought for Aus-NZ Challenge team 2019
1. Belair N.P. O.Y. and MTBO Event Sunday 25 August
9 foot courses on offer from1.5km to 9.5 km.This is an OSA Promotion Event so newcomers doing Courses 6-9, the Moderate and Easy courses, do so for FREE.
PLEASE try to interest friends, work colleagues etc in this offer!
The MTBO is 150 minute score event, starts between !0.00 and 11.00 to be back by course closure at 1.30.
Entry and further details available on Eventor.
2. Saltbush Orienteers Cross-country Event – Cheeseboard Hill Sunday August 25th
Signs will be at the junction of the road to Iron Knob and the dirt road to the Whyalla Conservation Park, near to the Whyalla Speedway.
Start times: anytime between 10.00am and 1pm, please return to the van by 3pm.
Courses will be available to suit all fitness levels.
Remember to have comfortable walking shoes, hat and bring water.
A barbecue plate is provided for your use but bring your own food and drink.
Compasses are available for hire or bring your own.
Coaching is available so please ask at the orienteering van.
For enquiries please contact Jason on 0419 847 868
3. North Adelaide Event on Sunday 1st Sept 2019
The Tintookies Orienteering Club invites you to a Metro Event with 3 courses available.
1.5km Short, suitable for newcomers.
3.8km Medium, suitable for those with some map reading skills.
5.3km Long, suitable for those wanting to stretch their legs a bit after Burra & Belair efforts !
Entry is now open on Eventor until 23:59 Wednesday 28th …. Reserve your map ! Discount available !
Here is the link …….. https://eventor.orienteering.asn.au/Events/Show/8631
To make life easier for YOU on Fathers Day, please note …..
- Start times are 9:30 to 11:30
- Course Closure is 13:00
Easy parking, good courses and coffee stand nearby.
What’s not to like !
4. SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER - CALL FOR ARTICLES
The September OSA Newsletter is being prepared, and it should be a bumper edition.
There will have been many superb and challenging events held in the three months to September. These include several international events that had competitors from SA - with some representing Australia. Please consider writing an article for the Newsletter so that all members can share with you the excitement of these events, and, if you are a planner, controller or organiser of a local event, perhaps you could also let us know about some lessons you might have learned. The editor accepts and will publish anything considered newsworthy.
Please send articles with photos to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 September at the absolute latest.
5. The SEPTEMBER edition of The Australian Orienteer features 2019 JWOC in Denmark and Aston Key’s great runs in all three Finals plus the excellent performances by the whole of our JWOC Team. There’s also coverage of WMOC in Latvia & WMTBOC in Denmark; Indoor Orienteering at Monash University; news of events coming up including the inaugural Melbourne City Race and a feast of Sprint events. Spot the Difference is a little different this time with the JWOC Sprint map compared with a training map prepared by JWOC Team member Duncan Currie prior to the event. We preview the AUS Schools Championships; Stephen Bird shows how to use split times to fine tune your training; and Ian Baker interviews Ron Frederick in the lead-up to the 50th Anniversary event in Victoria.
The SEPTEMBER 2019 magazine will be out next week.
Another one not to be missed,
"The Australian Orienteer"
6. Training Day Para Wirra Conservation Park Sunday 15 September 2019
On Sunday 15 September 2019 Orienteering SA will conduct a carnival of training in the Para Wirra Conservation Park.
The following activities will be offered:
1. Basic Rules, Skills and Techniques Training.
2. Registered Teachers Level 0 Orienteering Coach Training.
3. Moderate Skills and Techniques Training.
4. Very Easy course.
5. Practice Easy course.
6. Easy course.
7. Practice Moderate course.
8. Moderate course.
9. Medium length Hard course.
10. Contour Only course.
11. Distance and Bearing DIY courses.
12. Control Flow course.
More details next week.
Adrian Craig; Training Manager
7. Manager sought for 2019 Australian-New Zealand Challenge Team
A manager is sought for the Australian team for the 2019 Australia-New Zealand Orienteering Challenge, to be contested as part of the 2019 Oceania Championships from Saturday 28th September to Sunday 6th October in NSW and Victoria.
The manager will be responsible for organising the team and has a number of formal responsibilities under the Challenge rules (mostly relating to agreements between the countries on late team changes, etc.).
The manager may also have a role in uniform orders1. The manager will be responsible for the distribution of uniforms (O-tops) and any co-ordination matters of the relay teams, especially to sort out last minute team changes if there are any injuries to selected team members.
The manager will not be expected to organise any travel or accommodation arrangements for the team.
As compensation for the role, Orienteering Australia will refund the entry fees to the Oceania Championship events of the selected candidate.
If you are interested in taking on this role, please contact Orienteering Australia as soon as possible and absolutely by Saturday, 7 September 2019 through the Executive Officer.
1 Any uniform order task will be limited in nature as selected team members may already have a Challenge top, and there are only a few tops currently in stock at the OA Office. Current supplier leads times are such that new tops cannot be ordered and received in time once team selection has been finalised. Any ordering of new tops will be shared with the OA Executive Officer.