Orienteering SA ENEWS 2 July 2019
Please send all contributions to email@example.com Articles should be concise & can contain hyper links but no attachments or graphics. Normally ENEWS is sent out on Tuesdays so copy needs to be sent in by Monday at the latest. Check out other news on the OrienteeringSA website: https://sa.orienteering.asn.auor the Facebook Orienteering SA page.
Robyn Dose - Editor
1. Keynes Gap 7 July
2. Wednesday 10 July training - change of venue
3. OSA Coaching Scholar needs a car
4. Rock Oyster two days event 13-14 July
5. Oceania 2019 - enter now
6. Juniors invitational tour
1. Keynes Gap OY - Sunday, July 7th.
Yes, there's something on next Sunday!! Starts 10 A.M. - 12 noon. Course closure 1:30.
This was one of the most popular maps for the National Orienteering carnival held in S.A. last year. It is unique! Keynes Gap is looking magnificent and green at the moment. Courses 1 to 4 will give access to 3 different sections of the map, and 5 and 6 to 2 sections. All of the hard courses make the best use of the intricate boulders and complex terrain with nice runs between the sections to help with mental recovery. On the event day the course setter will have fled to Europe to avoid any wrath from competitors. Have a nice run! And then reward yourself with lunch and goodies at the Junior Arrows fundraising BBQ.
Directions: O-Signs from Eden Valley, turn right (at the pub) onto Rustlea Road for 1.5 km, turn left onto Keynes Hill Road 2.2km, turn right onto Keynes Gap Road for 800m to the end. Note the roads from Eden Valley are unpaved and slippery. This is Private property with livestock, so no dogs allowed. Please do not climb over, touch or disturb any stone walls, so that we retain good relationships (and therefore access!) with our landowners.
Pre-entry would be much appreciated by tomorrow night (Wed. midnight, July 3d). Enter on the Day is available, subject to map availability.
||M20A M35A W21A
||M16A M55A W20A
||M21AS W45A M65A
||M75A W16A W65A M45AS
||M55+AS W55+AS W75A
W45AS M85A W85A
||W14A WOB W45B M45B
2. Mid week training 10 July
Change of venue-----Lucky Hit is currently being clear felled.
The training will take place on the Wirra Wirra map.
Proceed to northern end of map and turn left at Blockers road.
Only 1 hard course of 3 km will be on offer. Limited maps available so if you are not a regular attendee contact Clive Arthur 82640211 to secure a map.
Starts from 10am to 11.30am only.
3. OSA Coaching Scholar
The 2019/20 OSA Coaching Scholar is Evelin Brautigam from USA. She will be arriving in SA in early September, and will probably be here until April 2020.
As in previous years OSA would like to provide here with a car, so we need our members help. If you have a car that will be available for some or all of that period, can you please notify Bridget Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Robin Uppill (email@example.com). OSA will contribute to car registration and 3rd party/property insurance and car servicing for any period for which the car is provided.
4. ROCK OYSTER Saturday 13th July 2019 (Rock Oyster South) and Sunday 14th July 2019 (Rock Oyster North) Plus Free Saturday night event
- Tintookies Orienteers invite you to a weekend of orienteering on this unique landscape. In the north east is the Ridley Conservation park which contains remnant stands of woodland and grassland vegetation. Much of the map area was originally part of an ancient sea bed hence you will see fossilised oyster shells. Some of the private land has been cleared for occasional cropping. Complex but clearly defined spur gully terrain dominates the balance of the map.
- Day events - A choice of 7 courses. Beginners welcome but please note that due to the nature of the terrain no Very Easy course will be offered. Night event – choice of 2 courses
- Free camping available on the Saturday night. Campfire available (other than in the very unlikely event of torrential rain)
- Catering provided by the Junior Arrows on both days. Baked potatoes on Saturday from approximately 5pm with a choice of toppings (vegetarian option), Toasted sandwiches on Sunday. Baked goods available both days.
- Twin portaloo available both days
- Directions, From Mt Pleasant following the Angas Valley Road towards Walkers Flat. Turn left on Murraylands Road and follow signs. After crossing the Marne River the turn to the arena is about 500 metres on the left. Allow approximately 1 hour 45 minutes travelling time from Adelaide CBD.
- Please note that the last reliable fuel stops are at Birdwood or alternatively the 24 hour On the Run at Mannum. There is no fuel at Cambrai, Black Hill or Walker Flat.
- Entries close Wednesday 10th July 2019. Pre entry ensures a discount and a map of your choice. Night event is Enter on the night only.
- Further details see Eventor.
5. OCEANIA 2019 (THE AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS CARNIVAL)
Australia's biggest multi-day orienteering event. Sept 28-Oct 6 (October School Holidays). Nine events over 10 days. Enjoy the beautiful regions of Wagga and Beechworth in springtime. Afternoons and evenings free for walks, wineries, cafes and history (It is Ned Kelly country). Open to orienteers of all ages and abilities. Accommodation filling fast, book asap! http://act.orienteering.asn.au/event-series/major-events/oceania-2019/
6. JUNIOR INVITATIONAL TOUR
A camp and organised program for kids aged 9-18, who are not in the State Teams, and their families. Held in conjunction with Oceania 2019.
You don’t have to be great at orienteering to attend, just keen. Learn new skills, make new friends and have lots of fun. Make it a school holiday to remember! http://act.orienteering.asn.au/event-series/major-events/oceania-2019/junior-invitational-tour/