On Sunday, July 27, the Armenian Church will observe one of its five major feasts: the Feast of the Transfiguration of our Lord Jesus Christ. The observance recalls Christ's ascent up Mount Tabor, accompanied by his disciples John, James, and Peter. At the mountain's summit, Christ was transfigured in a blinding white light and the voice of God boomed from out of the heavens to affirm Jesus as his Son.
In the week leading up to this feast day, we invite you to download the Eastern Diocese’s free iBook on the subject. The iBook relates the Gospel story of the Transfiguration and introduces the ways in which the feast is celebrated in the Armenian Church. The digital book is packed with interactive features, including:
- Video: watch the story come alive on your screen
- Music: listen to the hymns of the Transfiguration in a virtual sanctuary
- Audio: listen to the Transfiguration story in English and Armenian
- Photo galleries: explore artists’ renderings of the events on Mount Tabor
- A “Lexicon” page: learn Armenian words and names associated with this feast day
is available for free download on the iPad
. An online version is available for non-iPad users here
The book is a helpful resource to use at home with your family, or in parish Bible study groups. Download it today, and embark on a journey through the story of Christ’s miraculous transformation on Mount Tabor.