“The French are the most likely to have a “major depressive episode” at some point in their life. Why? | the tax bill is now wearing holes in the pockets of not just the rich but the rest, too.” Economist
Data Data Everywhere; But Researchers Dare to Drink - Neil Seeman tells us "Many of the concerns of the Big Data revolution will be familiar to readers. Beware: Online snooping of open-access blogs and social networks! Browser cookies ... that track what websites I've visited so that marketers can sell me stuff I don't want! iPads left on airplanes! USBs gone missing in parking lots with personal data stored on an unsecured cloud platform!", and more.
So you want to write an essay? First read this: http://www.longwoods.com/pages/essays-for-authors; then write firstname.lastname@example.org. Short, punchy, informative, interesting and related to healthcare helps.
Off the Cuff
Weren’t able to make the Health Analytics & Big Data conference today? Please follow along on Twitter with #datarounds and @LongwoodsNotes.
Ontario can't afford its health system, former hospital CEO, Murray Martin warns at Breakfast with the Chiefs last week.
Hamilton Health Sciences CEO tops 'sunshine list' of area's 6-figure earners
Call For Papers for the World Health and Population theme issue on Attacks on Healthcare Workers in Conflict Zones. Click here for details.
British Columbia’s nurse practitioners will be further integrated into the health-care system with legislation that will expand their scope and opportunities.
Alberta Health 2014/2015 Funding Allocation - Alberta Health accounts for 45 per cent of Government of Alberta operational expense. The 2014 Budget increases this funding by over $600 million.
Alberta will spend $50 million every day — or $2.1 million every hour — delivering health services in 2014-15.
Alberta Health 2014/2015 Funding Sources
Alberta Health Business Plan 2014-17
Health Council of Canada releases final report on healthcare renewal
Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's The Diet Fix is a top-10 hit on Amazon.ca this week, backed by evidence, experience and solid reviews. Current Amazon promo has it at 50% off list price!
Our Editors Recommend
Inter-professional Collaboration as a Health Human Resources Strategy: Moving Forward with a Western Provinces Research Agenda
Improving Collaboration between Public Health and Primary Healthcare
Improving Collaboration between Public Health and Family Health Teams in Ontario
Collaboration to Change the Landscape of Nursing: A Journey between Urban and Remote Practice Settings
World Health and Population
A Prescription for Improvement: A Short Survey to Identify Reasons behind Public Sector Pharmacists' Migration
- March 31-April 2, 2014: Toronto, ON. The Ontario Public Health Convention
- March 31, 2014: Toronto/Webcast. Health System Funding Reform: A Lever for Quality
- April 1 & 15, 2014: Online: eSafety Series: Ensuring the Safety of our eHealth Systems and Programs
- April 2, 2014: Webcast: CEO Succession Planning for Health Care Boards
- April 3, 10, 18, 2014: Online: Data Standards & SNOMED Series
- April 8-11, 2014: Ottawa, ON. CDPAC’s Fifth Pan-Canadian Conference: New Partnerships and New Approaches for Chronic Disease Prevention
- April 9-10, 2014: Toronto, ON. Annual OGA Conference
- April 9-12, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Conference on Physician Leadership
- April 10, 2014: Webcast. Building Effective Governing Board and CEO Relationships
- April 10-11, 2014: Gatineau, QC. Accreditation Canada Quality Conference
- April 11, 2014: Toronto, ON. Spring Governance Showcase
- April 15, 2014: Webinar. Who Needs to be Engaged? The Staff, Patient/Family and Leadership Trilogy
- April 24, 2014: Thunder Bay, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Thunder Bay
- April 24, 2014: Sudbury, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Sudbury
- April 24-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Toronto
- April 24-25, 2014: Hamilton, ON: HI Bootcamp – The Condensed Version
- April 28-30, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Health Data Linkage Conference
- May 5-6, 2014: Montreal, QC. Fourth Biennial Bilingual CSSH Conference
- May 12, 2014: Toronto, ON. ARCC Conference 2014: Canada’s Applied Research in Cancer Control Conference
- May 13-15, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2014 CAHSPR Conference: Convergence of Health Policy and Evidence – Bridge Over Troubled Water
- May 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. Creating Strategic Change in Canadian Healthcare
- May 20-23, 2014: Toronto, ON. The Dorothy Wylie Nursing / Health Leaders Institute
- May 21-22, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Western Health Summit 2014
- May 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. SOG Education Day Event
- May 29-30 2014: Toronto, ON. e-Medication Management Conference
- June 2-3, 2014: Banff, AB. National Health Leadership Conference
- June 8-10, 2014: Toronto, ON. OACCAC Achieving Excellence Together 2014 Conference
- June 19-21, 2014: Toronto, ON. Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
| Add your conference
- Dr. Ann Cavoukian to Executive Director, Institute for Privacy and Big Data, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
- Bruce Outhouse to Mediator between Capital District Health Authority, NS and unionized nurses.
- Isobel Mackenzie to Canada's first seniors advocate, Government of British Columbia, Victoria BC
- Mark Townsend stepping down as Executive Director, Portland Hotel Society, Vancouver, BC
- Ida Goodreau to board, Portland Hotel Society, Vancouver, BC
- Mary Stewart to Vice-President, St. Thomas-Elgin General, St. Thomas, ON
- Dr. Dimitri Louvish to Vice-President Medical, Sun Country Health Region, Weyburn, SK
- Dr. Vino Padayachee to Director and Chairman, Life Stern Genetics, Beverly Hills, CA
- Rick Cooper appointed to the Board of the North East Local Health Integration Network (NELHIN), North Bay, ON
| Send us your transitions
- Chief Information Officer - Halton Healthcare Services, Oakville, ON
- Director, Mental Health and Addictions, Oncology and Palliative Care - William Osler Health System, Brampton, ON
- Manager, Care & Service, Home Care - VON Canada, Hamilton/Toronto, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Professional Association of Resident Physicians of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Manager, Information Systems - Humber River Hospital, Downsview, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - Grey Bruce Health Services, Owen Sound, ON
- Director of Business Development - National Research Corporation Canada, Markham, ON
- Vice President of Service and Operations - National Research Corporation Canada, Markham, ON
- Plus many more healthcare positions here