"Accountability can be beneficial, but too much or the wrong kind of accountability can divert resources and diminish returns." Comment from David Kirsch on How Do the Approaches to Accountability Compare for Charities Working in International Development? Healthcare Policy Special issue - Approaches to Accountability
Problems at clinics should prompt rethink on competitions for hospital services by Rick Janson
Off the Cuff
From Healthcare Policy Vol. 10 (SP) online today.
Accountability in the Ontario Cancer Services System: A Qualitative Study of System Leaders’ Perspectives
Jessica Bytautas, Mark Dobrow, Terrence Sullivan and Adalsteinn Brown
Cancer Care Ontario operates under a model of accountable governance that has been hailed as exemplary. The authors of this paper explored cancer system leaders’ views on the balance and perceived efficacy of approaches to accountability in this context.
Imagine a world where bacterial infections kill children by the tens of thousands, where surgery is highly risky and often deadly because of postsurgical infections, and where chemotherapy is useless and transplants impossible because patients’ would be ravaged by pathogens.
(Nigeria) Microbiological analysis of swabs taken from the cuffs and pocket mouths of physicians' white coats in an acute care hospital showed that 91.3% of the coats had bacterial contamination
...recent years in Canada and the growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria have raised concern about the problem and underlined the need for healthcare authorities to react vigorously.
We are taking the latest evidence from health care research and accelerating the spread and use of that knowledge where it counts – on the front line.
Timothy Caulfield and Dr. Danielle Martin talk about Healthcare Zombies: What Keeps them Walking?
Breakfast with the Chiefs – October 22, 2014
Sponsored by PwC and National Research Corporation
TELUS Health Talks – November 14, 2014
Dr. Farzad Mostashari covers Taking an Aggressive Stance on EMRs: Lessons from the US
(This session is available to attendees at no cost. You do not need to be a HealthcareBoard member to attend.)
Sponsored by TELUS Health
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com.
Our Editors Recommend
Legal Developments in End-of-Life Issues
Safety Is Not Negotiable: The Importance of Occupational Health and Safety to Pandemic Planning
Factors Associated with End-of-Life Health Service Use in Patients Dying of Cancer
Critical Appraisal through a New Lens
World Health and Population
End-of-Life Decisions - Some International Comparisons
More | Add your conference
- October 14, 2014: Webinar Practicing Population-Based Healthcare
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 16, 2014: Online: eHealth Shared Services
- October 22, 2014: Webinar Making Data Matter: Measurement Basics for Quality Improvement
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. ITAC Health Workshop – Evidence-based Interoperability: Achieving Results at Scale
- October 22-23, 2014: Markham, ON. OCSA 2014 Annual Conference The Quality Advantage
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. Ontario Shores Mental Health Forum & CFMHN Regional Symposium
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 23, 30 & November 6, 2014: Online: eHealth Future Trends
- October 27-31, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canadian Patient Safety Week
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 29-30, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canada’s Forum on Patient Safety and Quality Improvement – CPSI turns 10!
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
- November 2-4, 2014: Ottawa, ON. Partnerships in Global Health
- November 3-5, 2014: Banff, AB. 2014 Home Care Summit
- November 12, 2014: Webinar Improvement Cost-Benefit Analysis
- November 20, 2014: Webinar Better Health and Lower Costs for Patients with Complex Needs
- November 24-25, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Accreditation Forum 2014
- November 27-28, 2014: Ottawa, ON. 2nd Annual National Correctional Services Healthcare Conference
- November 28, 2014: Halifax, NS. Exploring data: from abstract to action
- December 3-4, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual National Operating Room Management Conference
- December 4-5, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Casemix & Activity Based Funding Conference
- December 9, 2014: Webinar Healthcare 'Hot Spotting'
- January 20, 2015: Webinar Managing Multimorbidities
- January 28, 2015: Webinar Analyzing Data Over Time for Quality Improvement
- February 5, 2014: Toronto, ON. Perspectives in Competency Assessment
- February 23-28, 2015: Toronto, ON. Advanced Health Leadership Program at Rotman School of Management; application deadline is November 3, 2014
- April 19-21, 2015: Richmond Hill, ON. 2015 HPCO Annual Conference - Call for abstracts deadline, November 17, 2014
- June 15-16, 2015: Charlottetown, PE. National Health Leadership Conference
More | Send us your transitions.
- Ruby Brown to Assistant Deputy Minister, Alberta Health, Government of Alberta, Edmonton AB
- Dr. Eddy Lang to Zone Clinical Department Head and Head, Department of Emergency Medicine, Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary AB
- Dr. Graham King to Site Chief of Surgery, St. Joseph’s Hospital, London, ON
- James Dorsey to Mediator between Unionized staff and Nova Scotia hospitals and clinics, Halifax, NS
- Chirfi Guindo to President and Managing Director, Merck Canada Inc
- Karen Matty to Board Chair, Fraser Health, Surrey, BC
- Alex Lambert to CEO, Group Health Centre, Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Cathy Cassidy-Gifford to Vice president and Chief Nursing Officer, Brockville General Hospital, Brockville, ON
- Dr. Christopher Lu to the Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) Board Directors, Oakville, ON
- Scott Bonikowsky to the Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) Board Directors, Oakville, ON
- Deputy Chief, Financial Officer - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Vice President Human Resources - Toronto Community Housing, Toronto, ON
- FT RN’s (CAU) & PT RN’s (D1, Crisis, CAU) - Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough, ON
- Clinical Team Manager - Interlake Region of Manitoba, MB
- Patient Care Manager - Mental Health & Addictions Program - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Mental Health, Addictions & Seniors' Services - North Bay Regional Health Centre, North Bay, ON
- Performance Improvement Specialist - Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough, ON
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here