“Over the years, the hospital [ED] patient population has become older, sicker and more complex compared with when I first started practising. There are far fewer patients with very minor conditions; far more patients have really complicated problems that are difficult to solve in the ED.” Michael Schull, President and CEO, ICES – Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
World Cup and Posing the Wrong Questions by Hugh Macleod. Soccer as a metaphor for healthcare
Off the Cuff
British Columbia Executive Compensation
Implementing change at your facility can be a difficult task...
Attention Recruiters! Our Summer Sale was such a success that we are extending it until the end of August. Book Now and save 50% per posting. Click here for details.
Four of fourteen healthcare journals listed in one place on Wikipedia belong to Longwoods. Thank you
Last week in Canadian Health History
July 31, 1962 Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta pledge to support care for children deformed by mothers use of Thalidomide during pregnancy.
August 1, 1639 Marie de l’Incarnation arrives in Quebec, later establishing the hospital of Ursuline Nuns.
August 1, 1966 6 of 8 Premiers reject proposed federal medicare plan, during a Premiers conference.
August 2, 1962 Saskatchewan passed final amendments to Medicare Plan.
Upcoming Breakfast with the Chiefs - Fall 2014 starts with Richard Alvarez. Registration Is now open here
To be notified of upcoming events sign up here
Helen Angus and Matthew Anderson at Breakfast with the Chiefs June 6, 2013
State of the Transformation
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com.
Our Editors Recommend
Don't Tinker, Transform: Launching a Primary Healthcare Revolution
The Challenge of Advancing Quality in Canadian Primary Healthcare
Income and Regional Gradients in Being without a Regular Doctor: Does the Slope of Gradients Decrease for Those with Greater Health Needs?
Leading the Revolution in Nursing Practice: Advancing Health in the Digital Age
World Health and Population
Multiple Forces Working in Unison: The Case of Rapid Improvement of Vital Statistics in South Africa Post-1996
Check out our three twitter networks: @elongwoods (national and global initiatives from the publisher): @LongwoodsNotes (updates of just-published ideas, policies and practices) and @Longwoodsjobs (for the latest healthcare careers).
More | Add your conference
- Until August 31, 2014: Online: NIHI Summer Sessions On Demand
- August 6-8, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Conference on Patient- and Family-Centered Care
- September 7-9, 2014: San Diego, CA. 20th Annual Patient-Centered Care Symposium
- September 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
More | Send us your transitions.
- Brian Taylor to Executive Vice President Corporate Strategy and Business Development, McKesson Corporation
- Ken Sutcliffe to Chief Technology Officer, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Shannon Wires to Clinical Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, UBC, Vancouver, BC
- Jyl MacKinnon to Executive Director, Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation, Halifax, NS
- Dr. Raj Padwal, Associate Professor in the Division of General Internal Medicine at the University of Alberta, to Director of Implementation Science for Bariatric Care | The Canadian Obesity Network
Our Summer Sale was such a success we are extending it to August 31st! Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
- Interim Director, Diagnostic Imaging & Laboratory Services - Rouge Valley Health System, Scarborough and Ajax, ON
- Regional Advisor, SW LHIN Region - HealthForceOntario MRA, London, ON
- Program Director, Post Acute Specialty Services and Clinical Support - Northumberland Hills Hospital, Cobourg, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Fraser Health Authority, Vancouver, BC
- Chief Nursing Officer & Vice President, Clinical Services - Manitoulin Health Centre, Little Current, ON
- Chief of the Department of Emergency Medicine London Health Sciences Centre, St. Joseph’s Health Care London, London, ON
- Business Development Marketing Associate - National Research Corporation Canada. Markham, ON
- Director of Patient Services - Alexandra Hospital, Ingersoll, Ingersoll, ON
- Vice President, and Chief Financial Officer - Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough, ON
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here