"The next time a vendor proposes any tool to improve healthcare, ask her about its applicability for the mobile phone. If she does not have an ‘mhealth’ application, ask why." From ehealth to mhealth: Celebrating the mobile phone at 5 billion by Neil Seeman (Essays, 2010)
Prescription for Sustainable Medical Imaging in Canada? Ask the Experts: The Radiologists by Deljit Dhanoa (Essays 2012)
The radiologist's role is poorly understood by laypeople, policy makers and physicians in other specialties. To make sweeping statements without fully understanding the purpose of the radiologist is damaging not just to the medical specialty itself, but also, to the health of Canadian patients.
Digital Drivers in a Learning Health System: Considerations for Research Innovation by Jennifer Zelmer (HealthcarePapers 2016)
Research innovation has the potential to speed progress towards seamless services, empowered patients, and safer care by guiding and bolstering new directions in digital health. Coordinated approaches to gain consensus on strategic directions and priorities would help to maximize the value of research innovation investments and minimize the risk of overlaps and gaps.
Do you have an opinion on health and healthcare in Canada? Longwoods has the channel for you to express those opinions. Longwoods Essays are Non-academic, 1,000 words or less and provide you an opportunity to share your thoughts, opinions and ideas. It really is that simple. Email me your idea and I walk you through the process. We’ve published essays from leaders to students. Share yours! feel free to email me directly at email@example.com
Off The Cuff
Medical Radiation Technologists Week is November 5-11, 2017
Canadian Healthcare System Must Brace for a Technological Revolution - The Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology
What Did Bernie Sanders Learn in His Weekend in Canada?
Mr. Sanders, complimenting our health system is nice, but not helpful - André Picard
How Digital Technology is Transforming Health and Social Care - Deloitte Report
Social Innovation in Healthcare - Frost & Sullivan report
2017 National Survey of Canadian Nurses: Use of Digital Health Technology in Practice
Digital Health for Canadians the Focus of Infoway Partnership Conference
"The opposite of talking isn't listening. The opposite of talking is waiting." Fran Lebowitz.
#CanadaWAITS Would you wait 4.5 years to see a neurologist? Dr. Joy Hataley would like an explanation!
In the spring of 2007, all provinces and territories publicly committed to establish a Patient Wait Times Guarantee in at least one clinical area, including cancer radiation therapy, cataract surgery, cardiac care, joint replacement, and diagnostic imaging. Patient wait times guarantees are understood to consist of two key components:
- a defined timeframe, and
- access to alternate options of care (recourse) should that timeframe be exceeded.
Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement on Access and Wait Times
What Are Wait Times to See a Specialist? An Analysis of 26,942 Referrals in Southwestern Ontario. (Healthcare Policy 2012)
Wait times for Priority Procedures in Canada, 2017, CIHI
CIHI Waittimes and benchmarks.
Staff with direct patient care - 68% were physically assaulted over the last 12 months, sexually assaulted 42% and 83% were verbally assaulted over the last 12 months. Ontario Council of Hospital Unions.
Breakfast with the Chiefs
Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - Toronto, ON
8:00am to 9:00am, join us for Breakfast at 7:30am
Dr. Michael Apkon, President and CEO of The Hospital for Sick Children
Location: University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management, Fleck Atrium, 105 St. George Street, Toronto, ON
Sponsors: CHFI, KPMG, HIROC, LifeLabs, NRC Health and Rotman School of Management
Who’s coming in 2018…
- Sarah Hutchison, CEO and Darren Larsen, CMO, OntarioMD
- André Picard, Health Reporter, The Globe and Mail and Rachel Browne, Health Reporter, VICE Media
- Dr. Robert Bell, Deputy Minister of Health & Long-Term Care
- And more…
Our Editors Recommend
Lessons Learned from an Advanced Access Trial Within a Canadian Armed Forces Primary Care Clinic (2015)
P. Tony Singh
Canada's Veterans Independence Program: A Pioneer of "Aging at Home" (2009)
David Pedlar, Wendy Lockhart and Stewart Macintosh
Health and Healthcare in Canada 150 Years After Confederation and Beyond (2017)
Mentoring from Afar: Nurse Mentor Challenges in the Canadian Armed Forces (2015)
Laura D.M. Neal
World Health and Population
Protection of Health Workers, Patients and Facilities in Times of Violence - A Report from the Conference Convened by the Center for Public Health and Human Rights, Bellagio, Italy (2014)
Center for Public Health and Human Rights
- November 13-14, 2017: Toronto, ON. 2017 Policy Forum. The Development of Learning Health Care Systems: How Can Canada Own the Podium?
- November 13-15, 2017. Calgary, AB. Issues of Substance (IOS)
- November 13-15, 2017. Calgary, AB. Questions de substance (QDS)
- November 14-15, 2017: Calgary, AB. Infoway Partnership Conference
- November 15, 2017: Webinar. Skill Building for an Empathetic Pediatric Culture
- November 17-18, 2017: Toronto, ON. Become a Patient and Family Leader Patient Safety Trainer Course (PSEP – Canada)
- November 28-December 1, 2017: Ottawa, ON. Advancing Safety for Patients In Residency Education
- November 28, 2017: Toronto, ON. Transforming Healthcare Environments
- November 30, 2017: Hamilton, ON. App Developer’s Guide to Privacy and Security
- December 7-8, 2017: Montreal, QC. Planification des mesures d’urgence dans les établissements de soins de santé
- February 12-16, 2018: Toronto, ON. Advanced Health Leadership Program Rotman School of Management. Application deadline extended to November 9th, 2017
| Add your conference
- Lalitha Raman-Wilms to Dean, College of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB
- Jeff Hydar to Vice President of Sales - USA, Kent Imaging, Calgary, AB
- Malcolm King to Scientific Director, Saskatchewan Centre for Patient Oriented Research, Saskatoon, SK
- Lindsay Tedd to Chair, BC Task Force on how to eliminate medical premiums, Government of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Bryson Webb to Chair, Board of Trustees, Western Health Authority, Corner Brook, NL
- José Pereira to Dr. Gillian Gilchrist Research Chair in Palliative Care, Lakeridge Health, Oshawa, ON
- Jerry Maniate to Vice President of Education, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- Heather Riddell to Chief Nursing Officer, Norfolk General and West Haldimand General Hospitals, Simcoe, ON
- Natalie Ceccato to Director Business Insight and Customer Experience, LifeLabs, Toronto, ON
- Andrea Small-Howard to the Scientific Advisory Board of GB Sciences’ Cannabis-Based Therapies and Clinical Trials, Las Vegas, NV
- Helen Turner to the Scientific Advisory Board of GB Sciences’ Cannabis-Based Therapies and Clinical Trials, Las Vegas, NV
- Norbert Kaminsky to the Scientific Advisory Board of GB Sciences’ Cannabis-Based Therapies and Clinical Trials, Las Vegas, NV
- Carlos Ríos-Bedoya to the Scientific Advisory Board of GB Sciences’ Cannabis-Based Therapies and Clinical Trials, Las Vegas, NV
| Send us your transitions