Happy New Year, we look forward to 2017!
As we close the curtain on 2016, we would like to extend our warmest wishes to the entire Longwoods community.
Thank you to all the authors, readers, reviewers, editors, advisors, partners, librarians and advocates for your contributions to healthcare management communication and learning through Longwoods this past year.
“Those kinds of movies that celebrate hope, celebrate the possibility of a better life, that kind of thing, they’re needed all the time. But Christmas is a season dedicated to that feeling and need,” says Stephen “Skip” Dine Young, professor of psychology at Indiana’s Hanover College and author of Psychology at the Movies, agrees that watching sappy Christmas movies can be good for your mental well-being
If You’re Riding a Horse and It Dies …” A Commentary on Health System Transformation through Research Innovation
by Chris Power, President and CEO, of the Canadian Patient Safety Institute
If health services and policy research is to be a major driver of health system transformation, the conditions for creating that change platform need to be initiated today. The problems have been studied extensively. It’s time to stop talking and, together, take action.
Off The Cuff
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador make deals with federal government on health
New Brunswick's healthcare deal weakens provincial bargaining position, hardens federal resolve
New Brunswick denounced for cutting side deal with Ottawa on health
New Brunswick secures $230M more for health care from Ottawa over 10 years
Creeping privatization is putting medicare at risk: McQuaig
Patients treated by female doctors more likely to leave hospital alive: Harvard study
This holiday season, give yourself the gift of policy, politics and innovations in nursing administration. Subscribe to Nursing Leadership before Monday and get 50% off the listed price. Order Now using coupon code CJNL16.
Nursing Leadership Volume 29, Number 3
Special Focus on Advanced Practice Nursing in Canada
Top 10 Articles Read in Nursing Leadership in 2016
- The Role of Nursing Leadership in Integrating Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners in Healthcare Delivery in Canada
- Principles of Strengths-Based Nursing Leadership for Strengths-Based Nursing Care: A New Paradigm for Nursing and Healthcare for the 21st Century
- Professional Practice in Nursing: A Framework
- The Primary Healthcare Nurse Practitioner Role in Canada
- Research: Evidence-based Nursing Practice: How to Get There from Here
- A Historical Overview of the Development of Advanced Practice Nursing Roles in Canada
- Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners: Title Confusion and Lack of Role Clarity
- Utilization of Nurse Practitioners to Increase Patient Access to Primary Healthcare in Canada – Thinking Outside the Box
- The Nursing Human Resource Planning Best Practice Toolkit: Creating a Best Practice Resource for Nursing Managers
- Innovation in Transformative Nursing Leadership: Nursing Informatics Competencies and Roles
Most viewed Breakfast with the Chiefs video in 2016 - Changes to Ontario's Health System with Dr. Robert Bell. Part 1
Healthcare Policy is a leader in academic publishing for healthcare policy research and the editors and publishers of the journal want to make sure we keep it that way. To do that we need to hear from you, the reader. The information you provide in this 5 minute survey will help us to improve our delivery and provide you with the best possible content.
Click here to take survey
Patient Engagement – Catalyzing Improvement and Innovation in Healthcare - Part of the challenge in designing successful healthcare systems arises from the obvious truth that effective healthcare at its heart relies on human interactions.
Order your copy now
Breakfast with the Chiefs
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Omar Ishrak, Chairman and CEO, Medtronic
Topic: From Theory to Practice: Implementing Value-Based Healthcare Around the World
Location: Auditorium, Lower concourse, MaRS Discovery District,, 101 College Street, Toronto, ON
Upcoming Speakers for Breakfast with the Chiefs include:
Sign up here to be notified when dates are confirmed.
- Danielle Martin, VP Medical Affairs and Health System Solutions, Women's College Hospital and Maureen O'Neil, President and CEO, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement
- Leslee Thompson, President and CEO, Accreditation Canada
- Dr. Robert Bell, Deputy Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, Ontario
Our Editors Recommend
A “Simple” Evidence-Based Intervention to Improve Care Transitions for Frail Patients with Complex Health Conditions: Why Didn’t It Work as Expected?
David McNeil, Roger Strasser, Nancy Lightfoot and Raymond Pong
Transforming Regions into High-Performing Health Systems Toward the Triple Aim of Better Health, Better Care and Better Value for Canadians
Yves Bergevin, Bettina Habib, Keesa Elicksen-Jensen, Stephen Samis, Jean Rochon, Jean-Louis Denis and Denis Roy
Designing Integrated Approaches to Support People with Multimorbidity: Key Messages from Systematic Reviews, Health System Leaders and Citizens
Michael G. Wilson, John N. Lavis and Francois-Pierre Gauvin
Implementation of an Electronic Data Collection Tool to Monitor Nursing-sensitive Indicators in a Large Academic Health Sciences Centre Short Title: Nurse-sensitive Indicators
Chantal Backman, Saskia Vanderloo, Kathy Momtahan, Barb d'Entremont, Lisa Freeman, Lynn Kachuik, Dianne Rossy, Toba B. Miller, Naghmeh Mojaverian, Ginette Lemire-Rodger and Alan J. Forster
World Health and Population
Improving Access to Care among Underserved Populations: The Role of Health Workforce Data in Health Workforce Policy, Planning and Practice
Jennifer Wesson, Pamela McQuide, Claire Viadro, Maritza Titus, Norbert Forster, Daren Trudeau and Maureen Corbett
- January 18-20, 2017: Toronto, ON. QCIP Winter Session: Quality Clinical Investigator Practices
- January 20, 2017: Toronto, ON. Workshop: Quality Relationships
- January 31-February 1, 2017: Vancouver, BC. IoT, Big Data Healthcare Summit Western Canada
- February 13-17, 2017: Toronto, ON. National Institute on Nursing Informatics
- February 27-March 3, 2017 (Module I): Toronto, ON. Rotman Advanced Health Leadership Program.
- April 23-24, 2017: Halifax, NS. Conference for Administrative Professionals
- April 24-28, 2017 (Module II): Toronto, ON. Rotman Advanced Health Leadership Program.
- June 3, 2017: Toronto, ON. CNIA-ONIG Conference
- June 12-16, 2017 (Module III): Toronto, ON. Rotman Advanced Health Leadership Program.
| Add your conference
- Roxane Pothakos to Nursing Simulation Facilitator, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
- Jim Atkinson to Chief Growth Officer, Caredove, Toronto, ON
- Stacey Daub to President and CEO, Headwaters Health Care Centre, Orangeville, ON
- Jacqueline Lake Kavanagh to Child and Youth Advocate, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John’s, NL
- Antonio Caycedo, Health Sciences North (HSN) Surgeon, named one of Canada’s Most Influential Hispanics, Toronto, ON
- Aasif Khakoo to Executive Director (Acting), Bridgepoint Family Health Team, Toronto, ON
British Columbia needs Nurses!
- Vice-President, Medical Device and Clinical Interventions - CADTH, Ottawa or Toronto, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - The Alzheimer Society London and Middlesex (ALSM), London, ON
- Director, Collaborative Practice - Sault Area Hospital, Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Directors, Clinical Programs - Sault Area Hospital, Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Full Time Manager –Emergency & I.C.U. - Brockville General Hospital, Brockville, ON
- General Manager - Retirement Residence, Southern SK
- Executive Director - Grey Bruce Health Services, Owen Sound, ON
- Director, Client and Family Integrated Care - Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Senior Director, Inpatient Rehab and Complex Continuing Care - Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Director, Innovation Procurement - Plexxus, Toronto, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON
on Twitter and be notified of new jobs as soon as they are posted
100+ career opportunities
Post a position