"Two months ago a C.D. Howe institute study said new specialists often struggle to find jobs while patients line up for their services" Comment from John Robson, a journalist and documentary filmmaker in Ottawa.
The Patients Will See You Now. Are You Ready?
By Hugh MacLeod. A thread running through the Ghost of Healthcare essay series is today’s healthcare leaders must not only lead well, but also lead differently. That means accepting a shift in the drivers of the health system from care providers to consumers, from hospitals to primary care, home care, community care and a shift from emphasis on downstream acute care to upstream prevention and wellness
Off the Cuff
Most viewed YouTube Videos – search “Canadian Hospital”
- 99% of imaging in Canadian hospitals is now digital
- BC Children’s Hospital Cardiology Tour
- Stollery Children’s Hospital Pre-Admission Clinic (PAC) Visit
- Undercover Boss Canada Sunnybrook Hospital
- The Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists
Europe’s first non-beating heart transplant performed by surgeons in Cambridgeshire.
Neuroscientists find that poor children have smaller brains than wealthy children, study says
What’s your twitter handle? Message @longwoodsnotes and let us help you promote it.
HealthcarePapers 14.2: Can Better Care for Complex Patients Transform the Health System?
Last Week in Healthcare History
April 13, 2003: Canadian scientist discover genetic code for SARS virus.
April 16, 1897: Mater Miseracorida hospital breaks ground for construction
April 16, 1907: McGill University medical building destroyed by fire
Breakfast with the Chiefs - Register here - Thursday, May 14, 2015 - Toronto, ON
Shelly Jamieson and Terrence Sullivan
Topic: Is Urgent Action Still Needed in Canada’s Changing Cancer Landscape? Where?
Sponsored by: CFHI and Johnson and Johnson
National Telemedicine Conference – April 27-28, 2015. Evolving the Future of Healthcare Delivery in Canada. Clinician-led case studies from across the country will provide hands-on, practical advice on how to plan, implement and manage Telemedicine programs.
Mental Health in the Hospital Setting Conference – Toronto, May 21-22, 2015. Effectively assessing and managing the continuing care of mental health patients in hospitals across Canada.
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com
Our Editors Recommend
World Health and Population
April 24-25, 2015: Vancouver, BC. Thriving in Complexity: Physicians Enabling Transformational Change
April 27-28, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual National Telemedicine Conference
April 28, 2015: Online: Essentials of Healthcare Organization Change Management
April 29-30, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual Activity Based Funding Conference
April 29-May 1, 2015: Ottawa, ON. 64th Annual Refresher Course for Family Physicians
April 30, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual National Patient Relations Conference
May 5-6, 2015: Toronto, ON. Innovations in Healthcare Process Improvement
May 7, 2015: Toronto, ON. MaRS HealthKick 2015
May 8, 2015: Webinar. The Care Model: Designing Care with ‘Chronic’ as the New Norm
May 11-13, 2015: Toronto, ON. Healthcare Supply Chain Network 2015 Conference
May 13-14, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual e-Medication Management Conference
May 19-22, 2015: Toronto, ON. Dorothy Wylie Health Leaders Institute
- Prof. Brian Golden to Vice-Dean, Professional Programs and Executive Director (renewed), Centre for Health Sector Strategy at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, Toronto, ON
- Matthew Anderson to Chair of Advisory Board for Rotman School’s Centre for Health Sector Strategy, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Robert Bell to Member of Advisory Board for Rotman School’s Centre for Health Sector Strategy, Toronto, ON
- Tiff Macklem, Dean, Rotman School of Management, to Member of Advisory Board for Rotman School’s Centre for Health Sector Strategy, Toronto ON
(To see all members of Advisory Board for Rotman School’s Centre for Health Sector Strategy, Toronto, ON click here.)
- Dr. Michael Salter to Chief of Research, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- Jennifer Davis to Vice President, Communications, Eastern Health, St. John’s, NL
- Dr. Adam Peets to Assistant Dean, Clinical Education, MD Undergraduate Program, Faculty of Medicine, UBC, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Sandra Jarvis-Selinger to Associate Dean, Academic, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UBC, Vancouver, BC
- Tim Beadman to General Manager health, social and emergency Services, City of Sudbury, Sudbury, ON
- Blaise MacNeil to President and CEO, Timmins and District Hospital, Timmins, ON
- Deborah Schmidt to CEO, Shift Alerts, Toronto, ON
- Leo Godreault to CIO, Shift Alerts, Toronto, ON
- Jean Rousseau to Principal, JR Healthcare Consulting, Laval, QC
- Gary Lee to Director, Decision Support at the Cardiac Care Network of Ontario (CCN), Toronto, ON
- Cory Ross, Dean for the Division of Community Services and Health Sciences at George Brown, has been awarded a Public Health Fellowship -- one of only ten Canadians to achieve the designation FRSPH for outstanding scholarly contributions. Read more about Dr. Cory Ross’s Award
- Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Development - George Brown College, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Human Resources - Humber College,Toronto, ON
- Manager, Quality Improvement & Performance Measurement - Mainstay Housing, Toronto, ON
- Chief Information Officer - Plexxus, Toronto, ON
- Program Director, Health Quality Program - University Health Network, Toronto, ON
- Lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, Manitoba, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here