“It seems to be that the healthcare workplace is not particularly happy and engaged,” said Steven Lewis, a Saskatoon-based health policy consultant and president of Access Consulting.
Infoway has been successful in the spread of electronic medical records into doctor’s offices, but “what are they doing with them?” Richard Alvarez looking back, looking forward. A review by Rick Jansen of DiaBlogue
Off the Cuff
Sleep Deprived? Sleep deprivation is the condition of not having enough sleep; it can be either chronic or acute. A chronic sleep-restricted state can cause fatigue, daytime sleepiness, clumsiness and weight loss or weight gain. Wikipedia
Everything you need to know about healthcare and hospital boards. Includes information to join the Longwoods HealthcareBoard: the best read board in the country.
Who is on Ontario’s LHIN boards. Who’s not.
"A society can be judged by the way it provides palliative care". Please sign the resolution prepared this week at the International Congress on Palliative Care to have Hospice/Palliative Care included in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
If you have read a Longwoods Special Issue you would have read it for free.
Each issue offers effective storytelling covering ideas, strategies and solutions that drive discovery & engagement. They are developed under the editorial supervision of Prof. Adelsteinn Brown, Dr. Ross Baker, Dr. Lynn Nagle, Dr. Judith Shamian, and Dr. Jennifer Zelmer. Will they support you in your work? We think so! Click here to access every special issue ever published. If you want to redistribute -go ahead; the links will work for anyone. They are free courtesy of sponsoring agencies.
If you want to publish a special issue write me (Anton Hart) at email@example.com or contact our editorial director (Dianne Foster Kent) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Week in Canadian Healthcare History
September 7, 1909: Alberta Health Minister George Hoodley orders a quarantine throughout the province to help contain a polio epidemic.
September 8, 1965: Alberta Premier, Ernest Manning opposes Medicare.
You are reading the eLetter. To reflect your interests and your niche in the healthcare sector you are invited to send letters. We will publish everything that is relevant, useful or even poignant and, of course, well written. Try it. Send your letters to eLetter@longwoods.com. We reserve the right to edit.
Upcoming Breakfasts with the Chiefs: Registration is now open here
Dr. Stephen Duckett speaks tomorrow - September 17, 2014. Last chance - Register before noon today.
October 22, 2014 with Timothy Caulfield and Dr. Danielle Martin
See Dr. Danielle Martin at Breakfast with the Chiefs with Matt Anderson, March 21, 2012
Ontario's Transformation Agenda: Integrating Primary Care
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com.
Our Editors Recommend
Organizational Flexibility as a Strategic Option: Fostering Dynamic Capabilities of Hospitals
The Consumer Health Gap: Are We innovating for the Future, or Simply Addressing the Past?
Deliberative Dialogues as a Strategy for System-Level Knowledge Translation and Exchange
The Role for Advanced Practice Nursing in Canada
World Health and Population
Consistency and Quality Check of Survey Data in India
More | Add your conference
- September 23, 2014: Online. Improving Wait Times: Single-entry models for hip and knee replacement patients
- September 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- September 29-October 1, 2014: Toronto, ON. 3rd WDPI Conference - Implementing Work Disability Prevention Knowledge
- October 1, 2014: Toronto, ON. Child Health and Social Policy 2014-15 Seminar Series
- October 2, 2014: Online. Get Checked Online: Integrating knowledge translation in the scale-up of BC’s internet-based testing program for STIs
- October 2, 9 & 16, 2014: Online: eHealth Shared Services
- October 8 & 15, 2014: Online: Healthcare Analytics: A Strategic Framework for Quality & Performance Improvements
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 23, 30 & November 6, 2014: Online: eHealth Future Trends
- October 27-31, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canadian Patient Safety Week
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 29-30, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canada’s Forum on Patient Safety and Quality Improvement – CPSI turns 10
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
- November 27-28, 2014: Ottawa, ON. 2nd Annual National Correctional Services Healthcare Conference
- November 24-25, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Accreditation Forum 2014
- December 4-5, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Casemix & Activity Based Funding Conference
- February 23-28, 2015: Toronto, ON. Advanced Health Leadership Program at Rotman School of Management; application deadline is November 3, 2014
More | Send us your transitions.
- Richard Alvarez to Senior Fellow, C. D. Howe Institute, Toronto, ON
- Janet Davidson to interim Official Administrator, Alberta Health Services, Edmonton, AB - a second executive role at Alberta Health Services.
- Vice President, Medical - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Director, Clinical Services, Emergency, Cardiac & Ambulatory Services - Niagara Health System, St. Catharines, ON
- Manager, Quality Improvement Framework and Accreditation - Canadian Hearing Society, Toronto, ON
- Director, Infrastructure Facilities - University Health Network, Toronto, ON
- Regional Pharmacy Director - William Osler Health System, Brampton, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - Rouge Valley Health System, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Development - Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care, Penetanguishene, ON
- Medical Office Administrator - Arbour Family Medical Centre (AFMCI), Guelph, ON
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here