Happy Holidays to our readers, authors, supporters and friends - from everyone at Longwoods
... I have just described to you the method the Fraser Institute uses to generate its annual Christmas gift to Canadian healthcare: the report on wait times
“I dunno, maybe it's the season, but I feel especially moved by the plight of doctors at the bottom of the medical politics food chain
.” From this essay by Steven Lewis: A Man for All Sections: Physicians, Heed Thy Hobbes.
Off the Cuff
To what extent are managers and supervisors responsible for the safety of employees who choose to drink at staff functions?
How is liability apportioned when a person drives drunk and injures or kills himself or herself or others, after an office event? These questions have formed the backdrop for many recent legal cases on employer liquor liability.
The week between Christmas and New Year's is the busiest of the year (in EDs),
and volumes increase by up to one-third above the volumes seen on other public holidays.
Canadians poorly rate their patient experience when it comes to wait times for pressing medical issues and access to care during off-hours and holidays
A restructuring of Canadian healthcare. They were the group on the front lines bearing the brunt of the changes... She forgets that we are humans first and nurses second. … It is about having the experience of being a nurse and having to fit your life around shift work. She gets every weekend, every holiday off, while I work, it seems, every holiday going.
How to create your “personal brand.”
Lessons from Mr. Claus as told by Malcolm Gladwell.
Daily exercise can help ensure a guilt-free Christmas
Top Read Healthcare Quarterly Articles in 2013
- Ten Key Principles for Successful Health Systems Integration
- The Expanded Chronic Care Model: An Integration of Concepts and Strategies from Population Health Promotion and the Chronic Care Model
- Preventing and Managing Conflict: Vital Pieces in the Patient Safety Puzzle
- The Sustainability of Canada's Healthcare System: A Framework for Advancing the Debate
- Effectiveness of an Adapted SBAR Communication Tool for a Rehabilitation Setting
The Journey toward High Performance and Excellent Quality
Notes from the Editor-in-Chief: Quality Councils as Health System Performance and Accountability Mechanisms
Benchmarking: A Method for Continuous Quality Improvement in Health
Enablers and Barriers to Implementing Bedside Reporting: Insights from Nurses
World Health and Population
The Obstetric Pathology of Poverty: Maternal Mortality in Kep Province, Cambodia
World Health News
- January 14, 2014: Webinar: What is Patient and Family Engagement and Why Do it?
- January 15, 2014: Webcast .Credentialing Issues for Smaller, Rural and Northern Hospitals
- January 24, 2014: Toronto, ON. Social Media: Engaging Patients and Providers
- January 28, 2014: Toronto, ON. Diversity, Equity and Action: Rights and Responsibilities for All
- January 29, 2014: Webinar: Improving Care - Avoiding Hospitalizations for Long-Term Care Residents
- January 30, 2014: Toronto, ON. CCHL Chapter Event – Bridgepoint Active Healthcare
- February 6, 2014: Webcast: Gender Diversity and Board Compositions
- February 6, 2014: Toronto, ON. Patient Relations
- February 7, 2014: Toronto, ON. Improving Patient Experience – Partnering with Clinicians, Patients and Senior Leadership
- February 11, 2014: Webcast: Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace: Responsibilities on Employee Mental Health
- February 19 - April 14, 2014. Online Workshop: Better Care for your Highest Users: How to Become a Chronically Well Champion and Still Manage Costs
- February 20, 2014: Webinar: How do we plan for meaningful, effective, and appropriate patient and family engagement?
- February 21-23, 2014: Toronto, ON. 3rd National Institute on Nursing Informatics
- March 5, 2014: Webcast. Patient Safety: Evidence-Based Tools and Best Practices
- March 11-12, 2014: Vancouver, BC. The National Forum on Patient Experience West
- April 8-11, 2014: Ottawa, ON. CDPAC’s Fifth Pan-Canadian Conference: New Partnerships and New Approaches for Chronic Disease Prevention
- April 24 & 25, 2014: Toronto, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals
- April 24, 2014: Sudbury, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals
- April 24, 2014: Thunder Bay, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals
- April 28-30, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Health Data Linkage Conference
- May 5-6, 2014: Montreal, QC. Fourth Biennial Bilingual CSSH Conference
- May 12, 2014: Toronto, ON. ARCC Conference 2014: Canada’s Applied Research in Cancer Control Conference
- May 13-15, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2014 CAHSPR Conference: Convergence of Health Policy and Evidence – Bridge Over Troubled Water
to President and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association, Toronto, ON
to Director, Health System Funding & Policy, Ontario MOHLTC, Toronto, ON
- Laboratory Manager - Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland and Penetanguishene, ON
- President & Chief Executive Officer - Alberta Health Services , AB
- Corporate Chief and Medical Director, Emergency Medicine - William Osler Health System, Brampton/Etobicoke, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Erie St. Clair CCAC, Chatham, ON
- Vice President, Our People and Chief Human Resources Officer - Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket, ON
- Vice President, Accountable Care And Chief Financial Officer - Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket, ON
- Director, Quality, Risk & Knowledge Management ℅ Four Corners Group, GTA, ON
- Director, Care & Resident Experience - Baycrest, Toronto, ON
- Manager CCC/Rehab – Level 1, Level II & Rehab Services - Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland and Penetanguishene, ON
- Manager, Occupational Health & Safety Nursing and Employee Services - Niagara Health System, Welland, ON
- Director, Cardiac Care - London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON
- Plus lots of Nurse jobs in, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia
- Many more healthcare positions here
Follow us on Twitter and be notified of new jobs as soon as they are posted