The sale was such a success that we have extended the deadline to May 5, 2014. Buy the Employers Plan Package for 10 Job Postings NOW and SAVE 50% off the regular rate! The 10 posts include promoting the job in the Longwoods eLetter. You can post at any time in the future. 10 job posts for only $1250. net + applicable taxes. What a deal!
‘How can we take nurses seriously when they are dressed in pyjamas?’
Can a return to formal white nurse uniforms make a difference for patients?
The days of crisp white dresses, and caps are long gone. But the hospital in Thunder Bay is proposing a new standard uniform policy for nurses. We'll find out why the union representing registered practical nurses says it's a bad fit.
In other news
From the Longwoods Archives
Is There Unity in An Image?
by Lynn Nagle
Several years ago, a nurse manager described her interaction with a registered nurse working in an ICU dressed in an outfit that might otherwise be described as beach ready. The nurse's response to a challenge that this might not be appropriate attire for the clinical work setting was: "Surely you don't expect me to dress like you?"
Taken aback by this nurse's affront to the challenge of her garb, and in the absence of any policy detailing appropriate dress, as the manager mulled over a "suit"able response, she was most dismayed at the need to explain the merits of projecting a professional image.
Professional Comportment: Nurses, Patients and Family Survey
by Leslie Sutherland, Sally Dampier, Patricia Sevean, Janis Seeley and Rhonda Crocker Ellacott
The aim of the study was to survey nurses, patients and families regarding their perceptions of nursing attire, identification and professional image.
Recent changes in uniform policies have made it difficult for patients to identify the nurse.
Scrubbing In … Needs to Be Scrubbed OUT
A Jersey Shore version of nursing, Scrubbing In
has enraged nurses from around the globe with its misguided representation of the nursing profession.
"I could tell you that, as a nurse, I'm insulted by the show's stereotypical characterization of nurses. I could tell you that stereotypes are ignorant, demeaning and damaging. I could tell you that the caricature of the 'sexy nurse' is outdated and worn out." Nurses are indeed fuming at MTV's portrayal of their work. Dianne Martin
Subscribe to any of the Longwoods Journals here
Honour your Nurses! Show your appreciation.
Longwoods.com is offering banner ads for Nursing Week 2014 at 50% off the regular rate. Use the banners to thank your nurses, announce awards, promote your hospital, recruit, and more! Please contact Matthew Hart for details at 416-864-9667 or email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter and be notified of new jobs as soon as they are posted: Twitter.com/LongwoodsJobs
Healthcare Leadership and Nursing positions added daily on jobs.Longwoods.com. Click here to see them all or add your own positions.
Call For Papers
For the World Health and Population theme issue on Attacks on Healthcare Workers in Conflict Zones. Click here for details.
Steve Ashton responds to Steven Lewis’ essay, “Chasing CEO Talent in Healthcare: Is It Really About the Money”
“In five years’ time, what does success look like?”
Let’s get the table stakes out of the way first. ‘Success’ in this context does not mean sustaining the status quo. Our healthcare organizations have well-educated, dedicated, committed professionals who want to serve the people in our communities and beyond. We employ more PhDs, MDs, Masters and Bachelor-trained professionals than most employers in our communities.
- Maureen Adamson to President and Chief Executive Officer of The Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences, Toronto, ON
- Tim Pemberton to Chief Information Officer, Markham Stouffville Hospital, Markham, ON
- Dr. Gaétan Barrette to Minister of Health and Social Services, Government of Quebec , Montreal, QC
- Jennifer Laffier to Senior Trainer, Mental Health Commission of Canada, Calgary, AB
- Don Keats to Interim President and CEO, Eastern Health, St. John’s, NL
- Belinda Vandersluis to Director of Implementation, Canadian Clinical Trials Coordinating Centre, Ottawa, ON
- Dr. Ved Tandan to President, Ontario Medical Association, Toronto, ON
- Paul Kilbertus to Senior Manager, Strategic Communication, Canadian Diabetes Association, Toronto, ON
- Lori Marshall to Chief Executive Officer of Erie St. Clair CCAC, Chatham, ON
- David Rounthwaite to Intermin CEO, eHealth Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Sylvain Coderre to Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB
- Emmanuel Casalino to Senior Director, Physician and Consumer ehealth, eHealth Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Bonnie Schmidt to Board, Ontario Genomics Institute, Toronto, ON
- Elizabeth Dowdeswell to Board, Ontario Genomics Institute, Toronto, ON
- Patrick Lee to Team Lead and Special Advisor to Government of Nova Scotia, Health Department, Halifax, NS
- Bruce Quigley to Acting CEO, Pictou County Health Authority, New Glasgow, NS
- Dr. Douglas Naudie to Site Chief of Surgery, London Health Sciences, University Hospital, London, ON
- Elisabeth Riley to retire as President and CEO, Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital, Orillia, ON
- Dr. Hamidah Meghani to Commissioner and Medical Officer of Health (MOH), Halton Region, ON
- Dr. Thomas Stewart to Chief of Staff, Niagara Health System, St Catharines, ON
Our transitions come from sources we believe to be reliable. We do not guarantee that they are correct. But we are rarely wrong.
Our busy careers site, jobs.Longwoods.com, is the ideal place to advertise positions in healthcare. This site is not only Canada wide, but world wide, and is exclusively for the healthcare profession. Hundreds of healthcare recruiters use the site to recruit top candidates and close to a thousand job seekers are registered users. Hundreds of thousands of visitors to this site make it the most popular page on Longwoods.
- Lead, Strategic Initiatives, Shared Care - Doctors of BC, Vancouver, BC
- Chief of Staff - Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH), Burlington, ON
- Nurse Manager, Combined Surgical Unit - Toronto Western Hospital University Health Network, Toronto, ON
- General Manager - Hospital Diagnostic Imaging Repository Services (HDIRS), Markham, ON
- Site Chief, Surgery, Brampton Civic Hospital - William Osler Health System, Brampton/Etobicoke, ON
- Corporate Chief, Anaesthesia and Co-Medical Director, Surgical Services - William Osler Health System, Brampton/Etobicoke, ON
- 2015-16 Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy and Practice - The Commonwealth Fund, New York, NY
- President & Chief Executive Officer - Canada Health Infoway, Toronto, ON
- Director, Northern and Aboriginal Health - Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement, Ottawa, ON
- Director Regional Renal, Metabolic and Oncology Programs - Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough, ON
- Director, Enterprise Risk - Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga, ON
- Director, Finance - Mississauga Halton Community Care Access Centre,Toronto, ON
- Patient Care Coordinator / Registered Nurse, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre - University Health Network, Toronto, ON
- Plus lots of Nurse jobs in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia
- Many more healthcare positions here
Follow jobs.longwoods.com on Twitter and see the jobs as soon as they are posted: Twitter.com/LongwoodsJobs