"Dear Minister Hoskins:
Ontario’s Doctors were disappointed to read several of your comments in the press regarding on-going negotiations between the Ontario Medical Association and the Ontario government." An open letter to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
Ontario Spent $110 Million to Get Doctors to Increase Cancer Screening Rates. It Didn’t Work. That’s Good News by Steven Lewis
Readers can respond to this essay by posting a comment.
Off the Cuff
Are you Recruiting? Jobs.Longwoods.com can reach your target healthcare markets, nationally and globally.
Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
...what ideas about pandemic influenza are rendered unthinkable, and therefore, what pandemic planning questions are rendered unaskable.
Last week Canadian Health History
...fundamental challenges to the integration that refugee doctors and nurses in the UK and Canada face as they attempt to pursue careers in their chosen professions. Whereas the UK offers examples of a more targeted approach, relatively little specific attention has been paid in Canada to this group of refugees...
Exploring Stigma by Association among Front-Line Care Providers Serving Sex Workers
Subscribe or renew a personal subscription to the Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership and receive 1 year online access to ANY other Longwoods’ journal of your choice. After you have subscribed online to Nursing Leadership please contact Barbara Marshall (firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-864-9667) to active your free journal. Expires Monday, July 28, 2014.
Check your LinkOut icon on Pubmed and see that all Longwoods’ journals have been updated and are available.
From our UK correspondent:
An independent review of Staff Engagement and Empowerment in the NHS called for the “accelerated evolution” of alternative models of healthcare provider, including staff owned mutuals.
The National Audit Office reported that the Cabinet Office’s Efficiency and Reform Group has “undoubtedly achieved significant savings for the taxpayer, as well as generally injecting pace and priority into the efficiency agenda”.
It was reported by the Health Service Journal that a third of Clinical Commissioning Groups have no plans to retender their current community service contracts when they expire in the next few years.
July 16, 1880, Emily Stowe becomes the first women licensed to practice medicine in Canada.
Upcoming Breakfast with the Chiefs - Fall 2014 starts with Richard Alvarez. Registration Is now open here
To be notified of upcoming events sign up here
Watch Dr. Joshua Tepper: Quality of Care - Sharing Strategic Choices Breakfast With the Chiefs, November 28, 2013
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com.
Our Editors Recommend
Aligning and Pursuing Quality Goals: The Role of Health Quality Ontario
The Healthcare Quality Agenda in Canada
Innovations in the Ethical Review of Health-Related Quality Improvement and Research: The Alberta Research Ethics Community Consensus Initiative (ARECCI)
Measuring Outcomes of Nursing Care, Improving the Health of Canadians: NNQR (C), C-HOBIC and NQuiRE
World Health and Population
Decentralization and Health Resource Allocation: A Case Study at the District Level in Indonesia
Check out our three twitter networks: @elongwoods (national and global initiatives from the publisher): @LongwoodsNotes (updates of just-published ideas, policies and practices) and @Longwoodsjobs (for the latest healthcare careers).
More | Add your conference
- Until August 31, 2014: Online: NIHI Summer Sessions On Demand
- August 6-8, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Conference on Patient- and Family-Centered Care
- September 7-9, 2014: San Diego, CA. 20th Annual Patient-Centered Care Symposium
- September 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
More | Send us your transitions.
- Anna Greenberg to Director, Community and Population Health, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Toronto, ON
- Daniel Germain to Board, Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital, Orillia, ON
- Deborah Prowse to Health Advocate, Alberta Health Advocates, Edmonton, AB
- Dr. Richard Cherry to Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Developement, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western, London, ON
- Dr. Brenda Leung to Emmy Droog Chair in Complementary and Alternative Health Care, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB
- Julie Jeffries to Academic Chair, Nursing Studies, Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- Dr. Alan Bocking to Scientific Advisor, Canada Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Research Network, Ottawa, ON
Summer Sale! Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
- Director of Finance - Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland and Penetanguishene, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - WoodGreen Community Services, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Patient Services -St. Mary's General Hospital, Kitchener, ON
- Executive Lead, Shared Care, Doctors of BC, Vancouver, BC
- Sr. Director, Strategic Planning & Governance - Ontario Medical Association, Toronto, ON
- Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital - Mackenzie Health, Richmond Hill, ON
- Clinical Nurse Manager - Dryden Regional Health Centre, Dryden, ON
- Director, Financial Planning and Funding Reform - Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga, ON
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer - The Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre, Barrie, ON
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here