"Apparently much of what we do, medically speaking, is the equivalent of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.' When it comes down to it, aren’t we all ‘at risk’ of something? Jane MacDougall, National Post
Leadership, White Space and Mindsets
by Professor Alan Best and Hugh MacLeod. Focus: Vision needs to be paired with a through understanding of the dynamics that explain the organization’s processes, and a shared strategy for how to get from the present to the preferred future
Off the Cuff
Cancer Advocacy Coalition – Report Card on Cancer in Canada™ 2014-2015
HQO releases report on patient experiences of care coordination & communication
My CancerIQ personalized risk reports and guides can be saved, printed and emailed. These results can be discussed with a healthcare provider. My CancerIQ can be accessed from a smartphone, tablet or desktop at MyCancerIQ.ca. The next step is up to you but redistribution could be part of it.
Another Reason To Quit The Tanning Bed? Herpes?
An Executive from a Small Hospital Writes. . .
As hospitals are squeezed tighter by provincial Health Ministries for operating dollars we are going to see closures. Regarding our (small town) hospital one could argue both sides of the obstetrics service issue. But the bigger picture is the erosion of hospital services. Once OB goes then the hospital will dwindle - anesthetists depend on OB for some of their work, and there is general physician unrest that is proportionately larger than just the OB picture. I am sad to see this happen. And I'm not sure that people generally understand what is going to be happening across the provinces’ hospitals in the next few years. I'm not sure that our Ministry bureaucrats understand or appreciate the importance of local hospital services either. (. . from correspondence with the publisher)
This Pain Management Webinar will be held on Tuesday, April 14th, from 12pm – 1pm, streamed live and then archived and accessible on demand 24/7. Topic: The Role Diet & Hydration Play in Health & Wellness. Registration is free and open to the public. Comments and questions are invited “real time” during the webinar, and questions may also be submitted in advance to email@example.com.
Why post your conferences on the Longwoods’ Healthcare Conferences list?
Ask an expert.
- Canada’s Premiere Resource of Healthcare Events
- Reach a relevant healthcare audience & attract more delegates
- Work with one of Canada’s most prominent publishers
- Reach 50,000+ unique visitors every month
- Key information source for healthcare administrators
Send your question to professor Erg Gesond and find a response in the next eLetter.
Last Week in Healthcare History
April 5, 1949: Crowsnest Pass Hospital opens in Alberta
April 8, 1896: New Brunswick moves patients with Hansen’s Disease (leprosy) to a new treatment facility in Tracadie.
April 9, 1984: House of Commons passes the Canadian Health Act.
Breakfast with the Chiefs - Register here - Thursday, May 14, 2015 - Toronto, ON
Shelly Jamieson and Terrence Sullivan
Topic: Is Urgent Action Still Needed in Canada’s Changing Cancer Landscape? Where?
Sponsored by: CFHI and Johnson and Johnson
National Telemedicine Conference – April 27-28, 2015. Evolving the Future of Healthcare Delivery in Canada. Clinician-led case studies from across the country will provide hands-on, practical advice on how to plan, implement and manage Telemedicine programs.
Mental Health in the Hospital Setting Conference – Toronto, May 21-22, 2015. Effectively assessing and managing the continuing care of mental health patients in hospitals across Canada.
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Editors Recommend
Leadership, a Central Ingredient for a Successful Quality Agenda: A Qualitative Study of Canadian Leaders' Perspectives
Where Are the Healthcare Leaders? The Need for Investment in Leadership Development
Enhancing Leadership and Governance Competencies to Strengthen Health Systems in Nigeria: Assessment of Organizational Human Resources Development
Leading Healthcare in Complexity
World Health and Population
National Responses to HIV/AIDS and Non-Communicable Diseases in Developing Countries: Analysis of Strategic Parallels and Differences
April 18-21, 2015: Vancouver, BC. GE3LS & Health Services and Policy Research Conference
April 19-21, 2015: Richmond Hill, ON. 2015 HPCO Annual Conference
April 21 & 28, 2015: Online: Essentials of Healthcare Organization Change Management
April 24-25, 2015: Vancouver, BC. Thriving in Complexity: Physicians Enabling Transformational Change
April 27-28, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual National Telemedicine Conference
April 29-30, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual Activity Based Funding Conference
April 29-May 1, 2015: Ottawa, ON. 64th Annual Refresher Course for Family Physicians
April 30, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual National Patient Relations Conference
May 7, 2015: Toronto, ON. MaRS HealthKick 2015
May 8, 2015: Webinar. The Care Model: Designing Care with ‘Chronic’ as the New Norm
May 13-14, 2015: Toronto, ON. 2nd Annual e-Medication Management Conference
May 19-22, 2015: Toronto, ON. Dorothy Wylie Health Leaders Institute
- Dr. Jean L. Rouleau stepping down as Scientific Director of CIHR’s Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health (ICRH), Ottawa, ON
- Gary Teare to CEO of Saskatchewan’s Health Quality Council, Regina, SK
- Larry Chapman to Chair of the Foundation’s Board of Directors, St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation, Toronto, ON
Longwoods has been reporting “transitions” since 2005. More than 5,000 names and their new affiliations made it to our Tuesday morning eLetter over that period of time. Have you changed careers or employers? Have you moved up or down the management hierarchy? Let Susan Hale know at email@example.com
. You will be on record for anyone looking for you.
- Chief Information Officer - Plexxus, Toronto, ON
- Program Director, Health Quality Program - University Health Network, Toronto, ON
- Manager, Technical Services - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Manager, IT Applications - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Nurse Practitioner, Mental Health & Addiction Services Department - Niagara Health System, St. Catharines, ON
- Senior Operating Officer, Edmonton Zone - Alberta Health Services, Edmonton, AB
- Vice President, Patient Centered Care - London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON
- Chief, Department of Anesthesia - Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Central CCAC, Richmond Hill, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Holland Christian Homes (HCH), Brampton, ON
- Lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, Manitoba, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here