“If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences” W. I. Thomas and D. S. Thomas.
What the Loss of the Health Council of Canada Means for Canadians - John G. Abbott, Mark J. Dobrow and Jack Kitts
So you want to write an essay? First read this: http://www.longwoods.com/pages/essays-for-authors; then write firstname.lastname@example.org. Short, punchy, informative, interesting and related to healthcare helps.
Off the Cuff
Who said “I don’t, sir, but I know that there are 45,000 in America who die waiting because they don’t have insurance at all”? Did you miss Dr. Danielle Martin at the U.S. Senate subcommittee hearing? Watch the video and see what she has to say. Want to learn more? See Trudy Lieberman and André Picard discussing the future of Healthcare in North America.
...total physician compensation costs, average physician compensation and average unit cost per service all rose extremely fast, the total number of services, number of services per capita and average number of services per physician either stagnated or declined.
The idea of merging public health and primary care provokes anxiety because it creates the risk that resources will be transferred from public health to primary care.
Alberta is arguably a fully integrated healthcare delivery system. What are the lessons learned for other Canadian jurisdictions?
Janet Davidson: Actually, we are not fully integrated because there are elements related to primary care excluded [from the model]. Alberta is doing some unique things with primary care, so there will be some opportunities for learning there. But these challenges refresh my thoughts about the big advantages of integrated systems.
Vickie Kaminski officially takes on the role of Alberta Health Services CEO on June 2. She will spend time in Alberta prior to her official start date meeting with stakeholders and transitioning into the role.
Hospitals should consider creating physician quality leader roles to assist in physician engagement, quality improvement project success and strategic planning for quality and patient safety
Canada - One of the most well-educated countries
Longwoods is a social group, and we would enjoy hearing from you. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube... let your voice be heard.
HEALTH ANALYTICS & BIG DATA | March 25, 2014 | Only 6 Days left to Register here - Chair John P. Hoyt, Executive Vice President at HIMSS Analytics welcomes the newest speaker for the day, Joel Cumming, Director, Advanced Analytics and Big Data Systems, BlackBerry, he will discuss Big Data at BlackBerry: From the First Email Delivered to Private and Secure Personalization. Full agenda here.
The Atkinson Foundation makes an annual award of $50,000 to one of Ontario’s leading child and youth organizations. A webinar on Wednesday, April 3rd, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. will answer any questions about the nomination process. To register, send your name and coordinates to email@example.com. Learn more about the 2014 nomination process. View past recipients.
Our Editors Recommend
Activity-Based Funding Model Provides Foundation for Province-wide Best Practices in Renal Care
Public Health in Health Sector Reform
The Association between Health Information Technology Adoption and Family Physicians’ Practice Patterns in Canada: Evidence from 2007 and 2010 National Physician Surveys
Rachel Bard, Outgoing CEO Canadian Nurses Association in Conversation with Lynn Nagle
World Health and Population
Assessing the Progress of Malaria Control in Nigeria
- March 19, 2014: Webcasts: Birth Centre in Ontario: Safety, Services and Hospital Collaboration
- March 19, 2014: Toronto, ON. Legal and Ethical Issues in End of Life Care
- March 20, 2014: Burlington, ON. DigitalHealthExpo
- March 25, 2014: Toronto, ON. Health Analytics & Big Data
- March 25, April 1 & 15, 2014: Online: eSafety Series: Ensuring the Safety of our eHealth Systems and Programs
- March 31-April 2, 2014: Toronto, ON. The Ontario Public Health Convention
- March 31, 2014: Toronto/Webcast. Health System Funding Reform: A Lever for Quality
- April 2, 2014: Webcast: CEO Succession Planning for Health Care Boards
- April 3, 10, 18, 2014: Online: Data Standards & SNOMED Series
- April 8-11, 2014: Ottawa, ON. CDPAC’s Fifth Pan-Canadian Conference: New Partnerships and New Approaches for Chronic Disease Prevention
- April 9-10, 2014: Toronto, ON. Annual OGA Conference
- April 9-12, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Conference on Physician Leadership
- April 10, 2014: Webcast. Building Effective Governing Board and CEO Relationships
- April 11, 2014: Toronto, ON. Spring Governance Showcase
- April 15, 2014: Webinar. Who Needs to be Engaged? The Staff, Patient/Family and Leadership Trilogy
- April 24, 2014: Thunder Bay, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Thunder Bay
- April 24, 2014: Sudbury, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Sudbury
- April 24-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. Conference for Administrative Professionals – Toronto
- April 24-25, 2014: Hamilton, ON: HI Bootcamp – The Condensed Version
- April 28-30, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Health Data Linkage Conference
- May 5-6, 2014: Montreal, QC. Fourth Biennial Bilingual CSSH Conference
- May 12, 2014: Toronto, ON. ARCC Conference 2014: Canada’s Applied Research in Cancer Control Conference
- May 13-15, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2014 CAHSPR Conference: Convergence of Health Policy and Evidence – Bridge Over Troubled Water
- May 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. Creating Strategic Change in Canadian Healthcare
- May 20-23, 2014: Toronto, ON. The Dorothy Wylie Nursing / Health Leaders Institute
- May 21-22, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Western Health Summit 2014
- May 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. SOG Education Day Event
- June 8-10, 2014: Toronto, ON. OACCAC Achieving Excellence Together 2014 Conference
- June 19-21, 2014: Toronto, ON. Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
| Add your conference
- Vickie Kaminski to President and CEO, Alberta Health Services, Calgary, AB
- Bonnie Adamson retires as President and CEO of London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON
- Dr. Arvind Gupta to President and Vice Chancellor, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Douglas Naudie to Site Chief of Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON
- Dr. Gurdeep Parhar to Executive Associate Dean, Clinical Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Catherine Allaire to Clinical Professor, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Anne-Marie Newton to Associate Director of Development, SickKids Foundation, Toronto, ON
- Therese Takacs to Chief Partnership and Development Officer, Mental Health Commission of Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Helene Tomusiak-Donahue to Manager, Advisory Services, Ernst & Young (EY), Edmonton AB
- Dr. Richard Wedge to interim CEO of Health PEI, Charlottetown, PE
- Richard Ernst to retire from Guelph General Hospital, Guelph, ON
| Send us your transitions
- Manager, Information Systems - Humber River Hospital, Downsview, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - Grey Bruce Health Services, Owen Sound, ON
- Director of Business Development - National Research Corporation Canada, Markham, ON
- Vice President of Service and Operations - National Research Corporation Canada, Markham, ON
- Decision Support Analyst - Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland and Penetanguishene, ON
- Pharmacist - Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland and Penetanguishene, ON
- Payroll & Billing Coordinator - Bayshore HealthCare, St. Catharines, ON
- Direction générale / Executive Director - Entité 4, Aurora, ON
- Executive Director - Contact Niagara, Niagara Region, ON
- Plus many more healthcare positions here