“If you let the wave of aging and chronic disease get into hospitals, we will swamp them,” Canada’s healthcare system is on a collision course with disaster unless leaders show political courage to turn away from costly hospitals says Michael Decter
Saving Medicare by Michael Dector. As costs steadily rise, we need to build a healthcare system outside hospitals.
Off the Cuff
What a Disaster!
CDC: “Window is closing” to stop Ebola. - CNN and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
- The earthquake and tsunami in Japan, March 11, 2011, caused destruction of healthcare facilities; initial shortages of food, water, fuel, aid materials and rescue teams to the affected rural population; 400,000 people were evacuated to shelters with no heating in freezing temperatures. However, Japan had invested in disaster management and had created a more resilient health system which continued to function in spite of the challenges
- ...mismanagement of the dead has consequences for the psychological well-being of survivors. However, no technical guidelines currently exist for managing mass fatalities following large natural disasters.
- An all-hazards approach to disaster management requires careful coordination of medical assets that is capable of delivering effective healthcare to affected individuals.
- effects of disaster on mental health status and services use, effects of disaster on general health services use, patient tracking, evacuation, and disaster planning/preparation.
- Knowledge is important but only actions can help manage pandemic risks. The Town needs to take steps to prevent the spread and severity of the disease. We need to plan now to protect employees. Town of Ajax Emergency Response Plan
August 31st was International Overdoes Awareness Day
What does YouTube say are important Healthcare topics? Most viewed “Healthcare” videos on YouTube
Five things Canadians get wrong about the health system
- Salli Saddle Chair in healthcare, gynecologist – 28,000,000 + views
- Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in Washington D.C. – 7,000,000 + views
- Why Are American Health Care Costs So High? – 6,000,000 + views
- Know the TRUTH about the Government Health Care Bill H.R.3200 - Key Points – 5,000,000 + views
- Rep. Tom Price admonishes govt-takeover of healthcare – 1,000,000 + views. And...
- Dr. Danielle Martin makes it into the top 10 with Health Care: U.S. vs. Canada – 1,000,000 + views
Just Released! Healthcare Quarterly Vol. 17 No. 2. Inside: Special Focus on LEAN in Healthcare
SINGLE PAPER SALES | $9.99 | no need to subscribe just sign in if you have an account on Longwoods.com or create an account and purchase one at a time
Check out our Facebook channel - (a hub for conversation about healthcare news and ideas.)
Follow the ratings @eLongwoods
Upcoming Breakfasts with the Chiefs: Registration is now open here
Richard Alvarez speaks this Thursday - September 11, 2014. Last chance - Register before 4 p.m. today.
September 17, 2014 with Dr. Stephen Duckett
October 22, 2014 with Timothy Caulfield and Dr. Danielle Martin
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Editors Recommend
"The Largest Lean Transformation in the World": The Implementation and Evaluation of Lean in Saskatchewan Healthcare
Reorienting Health Systems to Meet the Demand for Consumer Health Solutions
Income and Regional Gradients in Being without a Regular Doctor: Does the Slope of Gradients Decrease for Those with Greater Health Needs?
Book Review: Nursing Leadership from the Outside In
World Health and Population
The Experiences of Making Infant Feeding Choices by African, Caribbean and Black HIV-Positive Mothers in Ontario, Canada
More | Add your conference
- September 23-24, 2014<: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- September 29-October 1, 2014: Toronto, ON. 3rd WDPI Conference - Implementing Work Disability Prevention Knowledge
- October 2, 9 & 16, 2014: Online: eHealth Shared Services
- October 8 & 15, 2014: Online: Healthcare Analytics: A Strategic Framework for Quality & Performance Improvements
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 27-31, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canadian Patient Safety Week
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 29-30, 2014: Edmonton, AB. Canada’s Forum on Patient Safety and Quality Improvement – CPSI turns 10
- October 23, 30 & November 6, 2014: Online: eHealth Future Trends
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
- November 27-28, 2014: Ottawa, ON. 2nd Annual National Correctional Services Healthcare Conference
- November 24-25, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Accreditation Forum 2014
- December 4-5, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Casemix & Activity Based Funding Conference
More | Send us your transitions.
- David Diamond to President and CEO of Eastern Health, St. John's, NL
- Georgina MacDonald to Vice President, Western Canada and Development Initiatives, CIHI, Ottawa, ON
- Gail Czukar to CEO, Addictions and Mental Health Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Rajesh Aggarwal to Director, Arnold and Blema Steinberg Medical Simulation Centre, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- Dr. Dan Weeks to President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC
- Dr. Christine Kennedy to Acting Associate Medical Officer of Health, Grey Bruce Health Unit, Owen Sound, ON
- William Lahey to Chair, Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation, Halifax, NS
- Dr. Michael O’Leary to Dean, Allied Health Division, School of Health Sciences, Toronto, ON
- Angela Zangari to Executive VP, Finance and Operations, Niagara Health System, St. Catharines, ON
- Bryan Payne to retire as CEO, Ross Memorial Hospital, Lindsay, ON
- President and Chief Executive Officer - Rouge Valley Health System, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Development - Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care, Penetanguishene, ON
- Medical Office Administrator - Arbour Family Medical Centre (AFMCI), Guelph, ON
- President & Chief Executive Officer - Ross Memorial Hospital, Kawartha Lakes, ON
- Information & Privacy Analyst - MD+A Health Solutions Inc., Toronto, ON
- Provincial Lead, Governance and Leadership Program - Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Integrated Vice President, Mental Health - St. Joseph’s Health Care London and London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON
- Executive Director, Facilities Management - Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region, Regina, SK
- Executive Director, St. Albert & Sturgeon Primary Care Network - Alberta Medical Association, St. Albert, AB
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here