“Just because I have a fitness app on my phone doesn’t make me an athlete.” Dr. Harry Greenspun – Senior Advisor, Healthcare Transformation and Technology at Deloitte
Social Media and the Medical Industry: A Whole New Sort of Healthcare Network, Healthcare Quarterly, July 2012.
Opioid-related deaths in Ontario jumped by a whopping 242 per cent over two decades, according to a study by ICES and St. Mike's. by Theresa Boyle, TheStar.com
Off the Cuff
Patient Ratings of Overall Care and Likelihood to Recommend Ontario Hospitals
Fraser Institute economists found that over the last 10 years, the cost of public healthcare insurance for the average Canadian family has increased more than three times as fast as the cost of food
Are you Recruiting? Jobs.Longwoods.com can reach your target healthcare markets, nationally and globally.
Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
Two University of Toronto health powerhouses unite to make a greater collective impact on public health
Dr. Bob Bell’s most current legacy: UHN Annual Report 2014
Ontarians: know your minister of health
Ontarians: know your deputy minister of health
Healthcare Trio Deal!
Last week Canadian Health History
June 30, 1915: Army creates Hospital Commission to provide treatment to WWI wounded.
July 1, 1958: Provincial hospital plan goes into effect in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Newfoundland
July 1, 1959: Provincial hospital plan goes into effect in New Brunswick
July 1, 1962: 90 percent of doctors of the Saskatchewan College of Physicians and Surgeons go on strike.
July 1, 1968: National Medicare comes into affect across Canada.
July 2, 1962: Volunteer doctors provide emergency medical care in Saskatchewan.
July 2, 1991: Ontario Court of Appeal rules, psychiatrists cannot provide medication against wishes of patients; challenged by professionals and relatives of mentally ill.
July 2, 2003: WHO declares Toronto SARS free
explores the options we have to grapple with this growing problem, including cuts in non-health-care spending, tax increases, various types of privatization, and finding savings within healthcare itself. Breakfast with the Chiefs, March 2013
Breakfast with the Chiefs - Fall 2104 starts with Richard Alvarez. Registration Is now open here
To be notified of upcoming events sign up here
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breakfast with the Chiefs would not be possible without the support of these organizations: Accenture, AstraZeneca, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement, CIHI, Cerner, Deloitte, Hay Group, Health Council of Canada, Healthtech, IBM, Johnson and Johnson, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, Lough Barnes Consulting Group, Medtronic, National Research, Orion Health, PwC, Roche, Rotman School of Management, UofT IHPME, VernaCare.
Our Editors Recommend
Transfers of LTC Residents to Hospital EDs: An Ethics Quality Improvement Project to Minimize Non-beneficial and Unwanted Hospital Transfers and Maximize System Efficiency
Internationally Educated Health Professionals: Workforce Integration and Retention
Two Wings and a Prayer: Should Canada Make It Easier for Canadian Doctors Trained Abroad to Enter Practice Here?
The Demonstration Projects: Creating the Capacity for Nursing Health Human Resource Planning in Ontario's Healthcare Organizations
World Health and Population
The Global Health Initiative and the Health Workforce
Check out our three twitter networks: @elongwoods (national and global initiatives from the publisher): @LongwoodsNotes (updates of just-published ideas, policies and practices) and @Longwoodsjobs (for the latest healthcare careers).
More | Add your conference
- July 8 & 10, 2014: Online: Demystifying Predictive Analytics
- July 18, 2014: Toronto, ON. IDEAS Advanced Learning Program
- August 6-8, 2014: Vancouver, BC. International Conference on Patient- and Family-Centered Care
- September 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
More | Send us your transitions.
- Justine Jackson to the University Health Network’s Interim President and Chief Executive Officer, Toronto, ON
- Philip Christoff, Director, Policy and Planning for the Ontario College of Family Physicians, Toronto, ON
- Kim Storey to Director of Emergency and Patient Flow, Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket, ON
- Mike Barron to President and Board Chair of the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Susan Anderson to the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Elizabeth Keller to the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Glenn Lanteigne to the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Jim Mickelson to the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Leon Salvail to Vice-President of the COACH 2014 - 2015 Board of Directors, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Richard Cruess to Companion of the Order of Canada for his pioneering work in the field of medical professionalism, Montreal, QC
- Dr. Philip Branton to Officer of the Order of Canada for his leadership in developing a national cancer research framework, Montreal, QC
- Dr. Guy Breton to Member of the Order of Canada for his contributions to the field of medical radiology, Montreal, QC
- Dr. Donna Stewart to Member of the Order of Canada for her contributions to women's health as a nationally renowned leader in the field., Toronto, ON
- G. Raymond Chang to Officer of the Order of Canada for his achievements as a business leader and for his generosity in support of education, health care and entrepreneurship, Toronto, ON
- Jim Leech to Member of the Order of Canada for his contributions as an innovator in pension management, for his writings on the subject of retirement funding, and for his community involvement, Toronto, ON
Summer Sale! Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
- Project Manager, Information Services - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- President & Chief Executive Officer - Toronto East General Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Director, Digital Media - Ontario Medical Association, Toronto, ON
- Professional Practice Leader, Pharmacy - Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, Toronto, ON
- Collaborative Practice Leader - Clinical Informatics - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Patient Care Manager, Medicine & Seniors Care Program - St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Associate Vice President, Information Services - Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga, ON
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Ontario
- Plus many more healthcare positions here