“If your father can have the whipple surgery I would highly recommend Dr. Peter Pisters ... he does this surgery everyday he did mine in 2001 . He's a great doctor. good luck.” Cancer Patient, CancerCompass Message Board. Welcome Dr. Peter Pister to UHN
Back To The Future – What Have We Learned About Ourselves by Hugh MacLeod
Off the Cuff
Innovation: A new idea, device, or method:
How secure are you?
Community Health Systems, which operates 206 hospitals across the United States, announced on Monday that hackers recently broke into its computers and stole data on 4.5 million patients.
Video now available: Consumers Can Help Prevent Harm from Opioid Use
Webinars from National Institutes of Health Informatics on eHealth Strategies and Healthcare Analytics available on demand until August 31, 2014
Has your CEO or other significant participant in the design and delivery of care delivered a significant speech lately? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe he will distribute it further.
Challenges met with strategies; see eLongwoods
Last week in Canadian Health History
August 10, 1658 - Construction complete at Hôtel Dieu Hospital in Quebec
August 11, 1960 - Medical Research Council of Canada is founded.
August 12, 1638 - Construction started at Hôtel Dieu Hospital in Quebec
Upcoming Breakfast with the Chiefs:
September 11, 2014 with Richard Alvarez
September 17, 2014 with Dr. Stephen Duckett
October 22, 2014 with Timothy Caulfield and Dr. Danielle Martin.
Registration Is now open here
Lessons from Alberta: the road less travelled - Dr. Stephen Duckett at Breakfast with the Chiefs, May 5, 2011
Would you like to sign up your institution to become a Public Institution HealthcareBoard member and have unlimited number of your staff and board members attend a season of Breakfast with the Chiefs and receive discounts to HealthcareRounds? Contact Matthew Hart - email@example.com.
We are scheduling Breakfast with the Chiefs speakers for our September – May 2015 season. If you have any suggestions please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to review our past presenters – video captures of each presentation. Good way to while the time away while on vacation.
Our Editors Recommend
Facts and Opinions: Hospital Wait List Lessons From the UK
Parallel Payers and Preferred Access: How Canada's Workers' Compensation Boards Expedite Care for Injured and Ill Worker
Waiting for a Specialist Consultation for a New Condition in Ontario: Impacts on Patients' Live
Commuter Migration: Work Environment Factors Influencing Nurses’ Decisions Regarding Choice of Employment
World Health and Population
Awareness of Antimalarial Policy and Use of Artemisinin-Based Combination Therapy for Malaria Treatment in Communities of Two Selected Local Government Areas of Ogun State, Nigeria
Check out our three twitter networks: @elongwoods (national and global initiatives from the publisher): @LongwoodsNotes (updates of just-published ideas, policies and practices) and @Longwoodsjobs (for the latest healthcare careers).
More | Add your conference
- Until August 31, 2014: Online: NIHI Summer Sessions On Demand
- September 7-9, 2014: San Diego, CA. 20th Annual Patient-Centered Care Symposium
- September 23-24, 2014: Toronto, ON. 2nd National Forum on Patient Experience
- September 29-30, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Interprofessional Healthcare Conference
- September 29-October 1 2014: Toronto, ON. 3rd WDPI Conference - Implementing Work Disability Prevention Knowledge
- October 2, 9 & 16, 2014: Online: eHealth Shared Services
- October 8 & 15, 2014: Online: Healthcare Analytics: A Strategic Framework for Quality & Performance Improvements
- October 8-9, 2014: Vancouver, BC. IHI’s Driving Quality, Lowering Costs 2014
- October 15-16, 2014: Toronto, ON. AFHTO 2014 Conference “In Partnership with Patients: True Integration of Care”
- October 22, 2014: Toronto, ON. Toronto International Summit on Leadership Education for Physicians
- October 22-23, 2014: Vancouver, BC. 2nd Annual Reducing Hospital Readmissions & Discharge Planning
- October 23-25, 2014: Toronto, ON. The International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
- October 28-29, 2014: Toronto, ON. National Healthcare Practitioners' Mental Health Conference
- October 30-31, 2014: Vancouver, BC. Developing Healthcare Risk Management Conference
- December 4-5, 2014: Toronto, ON. Canadian Casemix & Activity Based Funding Conference
- Dr. Larry Robinson to Chief, Rehabilitation Services, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and Division Director, Physiatry, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Shailesh Nadkarni to Vice President, Service and Operations, National Research Corporation Canada, Markham, ON
- Jo-anne Marr to Chief Executive Officer, Central Community Care Access Centre, Newmarket, ON
- Allen Rubin to President of the Board of Directors, Jewish General Hospital (JGH), Montreal QC
- Frank Stramaglia to Director, Patient Access and Government Relations, Astellas, Mississauga, ON
- Asim Masood to Joint Chief of Medical Information Officer, Central West, CCAC, William Osler Health System, Headwater Health Care, Brampton, ON
- Sherri McCullough re-appointed to Board Chair, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston, ON
- Dr. Nadine Caron re-appointed to Governing Council, Canadian Institutes for Health Research, Ottawa, ON
More | Send us your transitions.
Our Summer Sale was such a success we are extending it to August 31st! Buy your job postings NOW and save 50% per posting. They will stay in your account until you are ready to post a job.
- Executive Directors, Health Services Division - Alberta Health, Edmonton, AB
- Chief Executive Officer - Waterloo Wellington CCAC, Waterloo, ON
- Director, Finance - Northumberland Hills Hospital, Cobourg, ON
- Care Team Manager - Prairie Mountain Health, Russell and Birtle, MB
- Project Director, Child and Youth Mental Health and Substance Use Collaborative - Doctors of BC, Vancouver, BC
- Chief Administrative Officer/CFO - Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant CCAC, Hamilton, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - The Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Inc, Toronto, ON
- Vice President, Collaborative Practice, Nursing and Health Professions - Alberta Health Services, Edmonton, AB
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Development - Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care, Midland, ON
- Chief Information Officer - North York General Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Chief Executive Officer - Canadian Patient Safety Institute, Edmonton, AB
- And, lots of Nurse positions in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario
- Plus many more Executive, Management and Nurse positions here