Dear servant of the church,
We would like to invite you to form a peer learning group for worship leaders, worship planners, and/or church music directors, sponsored by CRCNA Worship Ministries, Pastor-Church Relations and Calvin Institute of Christian Worship.
A Worship Peer Learning Book Group is a small group of 3-5 persons involved in the unique task of leading or planning worship in the local church. Groups will meet in person or electronically to support each other and study an aspect of worship guided by a chosen book. The book is chosen by Worship Ministries and Pastor-Church Relations to support ongoing learning in a particular area.
What book will be studied?
Stilling the Storm, Worship and Congregational Leadership in Difficult Times*, by Kathleen S. Smith.
All congregations will face transition, conflict, or crisis at some point in their lifetime. This book provides tools for determining a healthy process to deal with these events. For congregations not experiencing difficulties at the present time, this study can help leaders prepare for difficult times by learning how changes will affect the congregation and its worship.
*This book will be sent to participants at no charge.
What does a peer learning group meeting look like?
We suggest four parts to each meeting:
- sharing â€“ a place to share your joys and struggles
- learning â€“ a book, Stilling the Storm, will be used
- supporting â€“ a time of prayer for each other
- encouraging â€“ blessing each other in ministry
Where and how often does the group meet?
- While it is preferable for meetings to take place in person at a location of your choice, and given the reality of geography, it is possible to meet via audio/visual communications using Skype, Google Hangout, etc.
- We encourage you to create learning communities that reflect some diversity.
- How often? Six meetings over a ten month period from Sept. â€“ June.
How much will it cost?
The study books and materials will be provided to you free of charge. Additional expenses (food, technology, or travel) are the responsibility of the group members.
Group Convener Responsibilities:
- Invite 2-4 others to be in a group with you and get their commitment to participate in 6 meetings over the next ten month period. Note â€“ not all of the participants are required to be from the CRC, but we ask that a majority of the group is.
- Email us at email@example.com to let us know you would like to convene a group.
- Register your group by filling out a short form we will send you so that we can send the books to those who will participate.
- Convene your group in the way that works best
- Choose a name for your group
- Attend the 2016 Symposium on Worship (Jan. 28-30, 2016) at Calvin College. This will include a Thursday workshop at Symposium led by author Kathleen Smith and others,. The convener of each group will receive a free registration to the 2016 Symposium on Worship. If travel and lodging cannot be covered by your local ministry, funding is available upon request.
- Give us feedback so that we can learn from you.
If you would like to participate in a group but cannot commit to being the convener, please let us know and we will try to place you in a group.
For more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call Diane at 616-224-0727.