Message from the Board President
Once again, our friends and supporters filled the room for our Sports Celebrity Event in February. It is very gratifying to know that there are so many that support our mission of building strong and responsible families. I especially want thank our presenting sponsor Greenlee, along with all other sponsors and volunteers that made this evening such a great success. Former Chicago Cubs All-Star pitcher Ryan Dempster was our speaker for the evening and delivered a message of hope, courage, and dedication, along with may humorous anecdotes from his playing days as a major league player. Ryan also expressed how impressed he was with the MELD organization and how valuable it is that an organization exists that gives hope and opportunity to those who are in difficult or desperate situations.
Yes, MELD is a vital contributor to our community, but the winds of change and uncertainty are ever increasing as the State of Illinois budget impasse has resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in contracted funding being withheld since last July. Despite these challenges, our excellent staff continues to provide our clients with all of the services and support they require to succeed. In reading Shekanaâ€™s story here in this newsletter, you can see how integral MELD can be in positively transforming lives. Our commitment is to continue providing programs that result in outcomes like Shekenaâ€™s. We have always been blessed with those who believe in MELD. Quite honestly, your generosity is needed and appreciated more than ever. A onetime donation, or pledging your monthly support makes a tremendous positive impact such as:
- $10 a month would provide: Uniforms for 2 CNAâ€™s for work after training or bus passes for 80 bus rides or taxi fares for MELD participants to work, school, daycare and required appointments ($120)
- $25 a month would provide: GED testing for 2 MELD moms or dads, or two new toddler beds with mattresses ($300)
- $50 a month would provide: Tuition assistance for 2 young parents to take 1 college class or 3 new cribs and mattresses ($600)
- $75 a month would provide: Assistance with first apartment deposit or down payment ($900)
- $100 a month would provide: Tuition/fees towards Pharmacy Tech Program, CAN Program ($1200)
Please keep in mind our upcoming annual July 4th Run, and the Fairways for Families Golf Outing on July 28th. The monies raised from these events help us continue to strengthen young families in truly extraordinary ways.
Enjoy the spring weather!
MELD Board President