We're setting our sights high and hoping to reach 50 classrooms with our Gardening and Cooking Program
this year and need over 150 volunteers to make it happen! Even if volunteering yourself isn't a fit for you, there are still ways you can help! Keep reading...
Love good food, gardening, and/or fun? Then join us in the classroom this spring! Looking for a reason to sign up
? Look no further (and you don't have to be a chef to apply):
Five reasons why you should become a Growing Chefs! volunteer:
- It's a minimum commitment--only four hours a month from March to June.
- You'll provide kids with valuable hands-on healthy eating and sustainable food education.
- You'll help create a generation of life-long healthy eaters. (Gives you the warm fuzzies just thinking about it!)
- You'll meet great volunteers from the food/chef/urban agriculture community, and others.
- It's TONS OF FUN!
But don't just take our word for it. Watch the video below to get a sneak peek into some of our classrooms and hear from some of our current and past volunteers.
We need over 150 volunteers to help us bring the program to 50 classrooms this year! We also have a growing wait list of schools and teachers interested in bringing the program to their classrooms. To make it happen for these kids, we need volunteers!
This year we are looking for volunteers in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Richmond, New Westminster, the Tri-Cities area, and in Victoria and Kelowna. The number of classrooms we are able to offer the program to is directly dependent on the size of our volunteer team, so please sign up by February 17th!
Spread the word!
If you know others who might be interested in volunteering please share this email! Help us reach even more potential volunteers, we've got some great materials for posting at your place of work or sharing on social media. Most of our volunteers come to us on a referral basis, so if you aren't able to participate this year, please pass our information on to someone who can!
- I'm a proud @growingchefsBC #volunteer, and YOU can be too! They need 150+ volunteers this spring! http://www.growingchefs.ca/volunteer-program-info
- #Volunteer for @growingchefsBC in the classroom! A minimal commitment of just 4 hrs/month March-June. http://www.growingchefs.ca/volunteer-program-info
- I volunteered at Growing Chefs and it was so much fun. They need 150+ volunteers to offer their gardening & cooking program to 50 elementary school classrooms this spring. It's a minimal commitment at one 4 hour volunteer orientation in February, and 4 hours a month March - June. Ask me more about the experience! http://www.growingchefs.ca/volunteer-program-info
- What a fun way to teach kids about local food and healthy eating! Volunteer with Growing Chefs!. They need 150+ volunteers to offer their gardening & cooking program to 50 elementary school classrooms this spring. It's a minimal commitment at one 4 hour volunteer orientation in February, and 4 hours a month March - June. http://www.growingchefs.ca/volunteer-program-info
This year, your first Growing Chefs! class will be the week of March 27th or April 3rd. From then on, you will visit your classroom every second week until the end of June. Remember... your volunteering time totals approximately 4 hours a month. You definitely can find time for that!
How it works
- Volunteer chefs and community members are put into teams of three.
- You will attend a Volunteer Orientation Session, where you learn basic classroom management skills and review the Growing Chefs! curriculum.
- You and your team are paired with an elementary school classroom.
- You visit your class every two weeks over the course of three and a half months, for a total of seven visits.
- As you mentor the students and help them to grow their own indoor vegetable gardens, you lead the class through a series of lessons.
- The lessons are clearly laid out and outlined in the Growing Chefs! Classroom Guide that you receive at your Orientation Session.
Have a great day,
Growing Chefs! Chefs For Children's Urban Agriculture