Here’s some ear and eye candy I’ve enjoyed in the first half of this year:
Thanks for reading! If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend, buy a book, or tweet me some love.
- Movies I actually went out of my way to see in the theater (good calls): Black Panther and Phantom Thread.
- TV: Parts Unknown, The Good Place, Detectorists, Atlanta, Grand Designs, and Billions.
- Everything directed by Taika Waititi: What We Do In the Shadows, Hunt for The Wilderpeople, Boy, and heck, I don’t even like comic book movies and I enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok.
- Other movies I liked: Faces Places, Sofia Coppola’s The Beguiled, The Zen Diaries of Gary Shandling, and Coco.
- Comedy: Ali Wong’s Netflix specials Baby Cobra and Hard Knock Wife, Nacho Libre (I know I know), and the first hour of Girls Trip.
- My record of the year so far: Parquet Courts’ Wide Awake! Can’t stop listening.
- Favorite morning/writing music: harpist Mary Lattimore’s dreamy album, Hundreds of Days.
- Classical: KMFA, Jonny Greenwood’s score for Phantom Thread, the string quartets of Debussy and Ravel, and the Balanescu Quartet’s Possessed.
- Reissues: the 50th anniversary remix of Sgt. Pepper’s and the deluxe edition of Purple Rain. (The B-sides are better than most singles from other artists.)
- Favorite songs: my 2018 playlist on Spotify.
If you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.
PS. Top image is the German musician Conrad Schnitzler, snapped from the documentary, Kraftwerk and the Electronic Revolution.