Season’s greetings! I made a list, checked it twice. Here are 10 things I thought were worth sharing this week:
This is the last newsletter of 2020! Next Friday it’ll be 2021. Can you believe it? Time to work on my annual top 100 list.
- 20 great books I read in 2020.
- My year in notebooks.
- The magic of Lynda Barry’s What It Is.
- Director Steven Soderbergh on making collages.
- My early Christmas present: a peek at the Great Conjunction.
- This unreleased footage of The Beatles made me think of what Kurt Vonnegut said about a plausible mission for artists.
- Listening: James Baldwin’s record collection, 5 minutes to make you love classical music, Aphex Twin on classical guitar, Thor and his neighbor Antonio, a playlist of 2020 picks from the former staff of Other Music, and Bach on a xylophone in the woods.
- Watching: Great movies for Christmas Day. (Bonus reading: Olivia Laing on Some Like It Hot.) Loved the Ghosts Christmas special. Things I’m looking forward to: Coming 2 America, and, oh please, pretty please, a new season of Detectorists.
- Steal like a comedian.
- Make a gumbo in your head.
Thank you so much for reading. This newsletter is free, but not cheap. To keep it going, forward it to someone who’d like it, listen to my new audiobook, get yourself a little present (I get a cut), or buy a t-shirt.
If you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can read previous issues and subscribe here.