SERVING UP MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS
NIAGARA FALLS, ON - The Niagara Falls Mayor’s Youth Advisory Committee (MYAC) is kicking off Mental Health Week with a free community barbecue and wellness event on Sunday, May 5 from 12 to 4 p.m. at the Niagara Falls History Museum.
How will guests resist the delicious offerings cooked and served by Billy Bones BBQ long enough to get the full mental health awareness and wellness experience? With an even more delicious incentive: FREE barbecue! Guests who fill their event passport by visiting each wellness booth will receive a free item. A vegetarian option will be available.
The event has been made possible with generous support from Enbridge Gas Inc. and will feature:
- Live entertainment by local youth artists:
- Justin & Laura Duo from 12 to 1 p.m.
- Sophia De Luca from 1:15 to 2:30 p.m.
- Jonah Cappa from 2:45 to 4 p.m.
- Children’s activities provided by the YMCA of Niagara
- Yoga and Meditation provided by Celeste Turner of Entelechy Yoga
- Meditation provided by Carey Campbell of Centre Meditation
- Free admission (and parking) to the Niagara Falls Museum
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Niagara Chapter
- CASON (Community Addiction Services of Niagara)
- Contact Niagara
- Niagara Area Narcotics Anonymous
- Niagara Falls Community Health Centre
- Niagara Falls Public Library
- Niagara Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Pathstone Mental Health
- REACT Niagara
- Therapy Tails
- Wellness Opportunities
- YMCA of Niagara
Follow MYAC and all of their activities on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook using @nfmyac and #myacwellness.
“I believe that it’s incredibly important to be educated in mental health. After all, mental health is present in everyone’s lives. With the sponsorship from Enbridge we are able to inform the community about its importance.” – Waheebah Ahmed co-chair of the organizing team
“As Mental Health Week quickly approaches, it is important to raise awareness for such an important topic year-round. A huge thank you to Enbridge for continually believing in youth and supporting our events to bring the community together for a more mental health inclusive future.” – Sarah Chan, co-chair of the organizing team
“Kudos to the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Committee for developing this rewarding and impactful event in our city. With the growth of social media and the internet, this initiative acts as an important step in the development of our community from one focused on mental illness to one focused on mental wellness.” – Mayor Jim Diodati
For more information, contact:
City of Niagara Falls, Recreation & Culture Department
(905) 356-7521 ext. 3336