City of Niagara Falls Canada Day Celebrations
NIAGARA FALLS, ON - The City of Niagara Falls will host their annual Canada Day Celebrations on Monday, July 1, 2019 in downtown Niagara Falls. In addition to the annual parade, this year's events include a citizenship ceremony, St. John Ambulance 1K & 5K Fun Run and Race, numerous live performances and entertainment, and a wide assortment of free activities for all ages, including an artisan market, enchanted fairyland, car show and more.
“Oh Canada! Sing it loud and proud!” says Lori Albanese, Community Development Coordinator for the City of Niagara Falls. “It’s truly awesome to see so much national pride on display in our community, especially when the Canada Day crowd sings the National Anthem."
Albanese began planning this year’s event last year, with the Canada Day Planning Team. Over 100 volunteers will also assist with this year’s celebration. Returning, long-time sponsors and vendors include: the Canadian Federal Government, Ontario Power Generation, Niagara Casinos, Scotiabank, Niagara Peninsula Energy, Brock Ford Sales, the Downtown BIA, Johnny Rocco’s, Oma’s Cauldron, Mrs. Softy, and Renewal by Anderson. Several new sponsors and vendors are taking part this year, too, including Niagara Helicopters, Delicious All Day Coffee, Udderly Ridiculous, Choco Churros, Canadian Sound Art, and The Dog House.
"This event runs on the support of our community,” says Albanese. “I can’t thank our sponsors, vendors, or volunteers enough for their outstanding contributions. Without them we couldn’t host thousands of guests, with all of the activities, live entertainment and everything else we’ve got in store.”
As always, the events are free and open to the public, and guests are encouraged to bring cash for food trucks and other vendors. Parking in the area is limited, but there will be a free bike valet on site again this year as part of a Park in the City Committee green initiative. The Niagara Falls Transit system will run a holiday schedule.
Canada Day Event Schedule:
The complete, detailed scheduled is available online at niagarafalls.ca/canadaday.
1K & 5K Run or Walk for St. John Ambulance
8 a.m. Oakes Park (5700 Morrison Street)
- Registation begins at 8 a.m.; 5K race begins at 9 a.m. and 1K Fun Run begins at 9:15 a.m.
- Prizes and medals for age category winners
- Entry forms available at St. John Ambulance (5734 Glenholme Avenue) and online at runforsja.ca
9:15 a.m. Niagara Falls Public Library (4848 Victoria Avenue) in the LaMarsh Room
Niagara Falls Concert Band
10:15 to 11 a.m. Outside of the Niagara Falls Public Library (4848 Victoria Avenue)
OPG Niagara Falls Canada Day Parade
11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Downtown
- Nine marching bands, a giant Olympic beaver, superheroes, buskers, local community groups, and more!
- Starts on Victoria Avenue at Armoury Street and travels to Valley Way and Queen Street
- Ends on Queen Street at St. Clair Avenue
12:30 p.m. Niagara Falls City Hall, 4310 Queen Street (at Erie Avenue)
- Canadian National Anthem featuring Casey Hyde
- Amazing tribute acts to Elton John, Abba with Cher, Madonna, Janis Joplin and Freddie Mercury!
- Free birthday cake (while supplies last)
- Free raffle
Scotiabank Children's Zone & Scotiabank Children's Stage
12 noon to 4 p.m. Rosberg Family Park (Queen Street at Erie Avenue)
- Performances by the Silver Starlets
- Live Mermaid, Princesses, Illusionists
- Reptile Kingdom, Mad Science Fun Stations
- 25-foot Rock Climbing Wall
- Face Painting
- Henna Tattoos
Fun for All Ages
12 noon to 4 p.m. Queen Street
- Artisan Market
- Enchanted Fairy Land featuring whimsical installations by Fae Nature
- EXTREME Sports with special BMX Stunt Team performances
- Hoola Hoop Fun Zone
Car Show sponsored by Brock Ford Sales and hosted by Cruising on the Q
1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Queen Street from Victoria Avenue to Crysler Avenue
- Free Entry
- Fabulous Cars
- Awards: Cast your vote for People's Choice and see who will take home Best in Show
Live Entertainment on the Taps Stage
12 noon to 11 p.m. Taps Brewery (4680 Queen Street)
- 10-Year Anniversary Celebration begins Sunday afternoon (June 30)
July 1 Passport Card: Pick up your picture board Passport Card at City Hall and have it stamped when you visit participating picture boards and event attractions. Return your stamped passport by 2:30 p.m. for your chance to win a great prize! Draw will be held at 2:45 p.m. on the Main Stage at City Hall.
Go Green! The Park in the City Committee hosts a complimentary bike valet at Rosberg Family Park from 12 noon to 4 p.m. The Niagara Region Water Truck will also be Queen Street at Erie Avenue, so remember to bring your refillable water container!
Temporary Traffic Disruptions: Residents are reminded that celebrations around the City will cause temporary traffic disruptions. For the downtown celebrations on Monday, July 1, the following road closures will be in effect:
- Jepson and Armoury Streets from 7 a.m. to 12 noon
- Victoria Avenue (from Jepson to Queen) closed 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Queen Street closed from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For more information, contact:
City of Niagara Falls, Recreation & Culture Department
905-356-7521 ext. 3332