Select City of Niagara Falls facilities close in response to COVID-19 concerns
NIAGARA FALLS, ON - While Niagara Region Public Health has reported the risks surrounding COVID-19 remain low to residents, the City is exercising an abundance of caution, moving forward with closures of recreational and community facilities to limit spread of the virus.
Until further notice, the following City facilities will be closed to the public:
Effective immediately (as of 5:00 pm Friday, March 13, 2020):
- Coronation 50 Plus Recreation Centre (5925 Summer St)
- Chippawa Willoughby Arena (9000 Sodom Rd)
- Niagara Falls History Museum (5810 Ferry St)
- All March Break programming at the Niagara Falls History Museum is cancelled.
- City of Niagara Falls Customer Service desk at MacBain Community Centre (7150 Montrose Rd)
- Niagara Falls Ryerson Innovation Hub (4551 Zimmerman Ave)
- All branches of the Niagara Falls Public Library
- All March Break programming at the Niagara Falls Public Library is cancelled.
Effective Saturday, March 14, 2020 following the conclusion of the scheduled tournament:
- Gale Centre Arena (5152 Thorold Stone Rd)
At this time City Hall will remain open from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday, however, we encourage people to communicate with City staff via email or telephone. Niagara Falls Transit, WEGO services and Inter-municipal transit will continue to operate on a regular schedule.
Civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall will postponed until further notice. Water meter replacements, emergency water meter repairs, and sewer lateral cleaning will continue, while in-home water sampling will be discontinued for the time being.
While the City recognizes the closures will impact a number of users and organizations, it is necessary for the health of the public to enact these precautionary measures. All individuals impacted by these closures will have their facility rental fees refunded without penalty and staff will work to reschedule events.
For the most up to date information and more on the City’s efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19, including further closures, please refer visit www.niagararegion.ca/health/covid-19/
For more information, contact:
Fire Chief, CEMC, City of Niagara Falls